Question What to check with new laptop - BIOS lock?

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have purchased a used Asus laptop and was wondering what things to check to make sure it is fine to keep (in case it needs to be returned)?

I saw something online about a laptop being advertised with 'BIOS unlocked' - what does this mean? Is this something I should be concerned about and check? Can this be fixed?

Also, how common are stuck pixels and are they a big issue? (There appear to be a couple on the laptop).

Any advice much appreciated!
Thank you

USAFRet

Titan
"used laptop"

2 things:
  1. Can you get into the BIOS? If there is a password, you NEED to ask the seller for that password.
  2. Full wipe and reinstall of the OS...everything, across all drives in it. This does 2 things....verify the OS licensing, and gets rid of anything any previous user has in there.

donline

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2016
Thank you USAFRet.
How can I check if the BIOS is locked (or cannot get into the BIOS)? Is there a specific part of the BIOS that would be locked or the entire thing? Is this when you press F1/Esc/etc to get into it?
Sounds good with checking the OS.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you USAFRet.
How can I check if the BIOS is locked (or cannot get into the BIOS)? Is there a specific part of the BIOS that would be locked or the entire thing? Is this when you press F1/Esc/etc to get into it?
Sounds good with checking the OS.
Boot up and see if you can enter the BIOS.
If it asks for a password....locked.

Mar 21, 2023
Hey there!
Congrats on purchasing your used Asus laptop. Here are some things you can do to check if it's in perfect working condition:

• Start the laptop and test to see if it boots up correctly.
  • Check all the ports to see if they are fully functional.
  • Try out the keyboard and touchpad to see if they work well.
  • Examine the display for any issues like dead pixels, scratches or other defects.
  • Run a diagnostic tool to check the laptop's overall performance and hardware.
  • Confirm if the battery holds a reasonable charge.
Regarding your query about the BIOS being unlocked, this means that your BIOS settings aren't password-protected which is usually not a concern. In fact, having it unlocked makes it easier for you to customize the settings. However, if you're worried about the security of the device, you can always set up a BIOS password for yourself.

As for the annoyance of stuck pixels on the display, it's not a significant issue as they are widespread and there are ways to fix them. You can try using a pixel-fixing software or massaging the affected area gently with a soft cloth.

Hope this helps and that you enjoy your new laptop!