[SOLVED] What to do before installing new cpu and motherboard?

Jan 21, 2020
I'm switching over from my old i3 6100 w/ H110M Gaming Mobo to a Ryzen 5 3600x w/ a x570 Mobo. I dont have anything important stored on my hdd. Will I have to wipe my hdd before installing my new hardware? And I already have a windows 10 media usb ready. Thanks in advance and any help is appreciated..

Solution
So just change my hardware and as soon as I boot up and install windows it'll wipe my hdd and im ready to go??

Please follow the procedure for doing a fresh install of windows 10 - after you select your target hdd it will warn you that all data will be lost. (As it installs win 10 to the target drive it will wipe it clean.):
https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10startfresh

You say 'hdd' but if you want to invest in an ssd now would be a good time - put the fresh ssd in, leave your hdd disconnected, install to the ssd. (If you do that, don't just reconnect the old hdd afterwards, or you might boot into the old installation and wind up with problems.)

Edit - I made a few changes, it's basically the...

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019
So quick to the point would be..
1. Wipe my HDD
2.Install Hardware.
3. Install Windows and done???
You shouldn't need to specifically wipe the HDD - windows will do this as part of the installation. The point is - do a fresh install. If you just try to re-use the installation on the existing HDD you'll probably get a lot of trouble.

Jan 21, 2020
You shouldn't need to specifically wipe the HDD - windows will do this as part of the installation. The point is - do a fresh install. If you just try to re-use the installation on the existing HDD you'll probably get a lot of trouble.
So just change my hardware and as soon as I boot up and install windows it'll wipe my hdd and im ready to go??

Last edited:

my_pc_build

Great
Nov 17, 2019

Please follow the procedure for doing a fresh install of windows 10 - after you select your target hdd it will warn you that all data will be lost. (As it installs win 10 to the target drive it will wipe it clean.):

You say 'hdd' but if you want to invest in an ssd now would be a good time - put the fresh ssd in, leave your hdd disconnected, install to the ssd. (If you do that, don't just reconnect the old hdd afterwards, or you might boot into the old installation and wind up with problems.)

Edit - I made a few changes, it's basically the 'startfresh' procedure above, bearing in mind that you may be wanting to re-activate an existing license as mentioned above.

Solution
Jan 21, 2020

Edit - I made a few changes, it's basically the 'startfresh' procedure above, bearing in mind that you may be wanting to re-activate an existing license as mentioned above.
I get what you're saying. I wont get a SSD for now, but using that Windows 10 Fresh Install will make the process alot easier. Thanks!