poppinfresh

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2004
I've since decided to return my 9600XT since there appear to be incompatibility problems with my mobo/chipset. I've found numerous posts at other sites concerning incompatibility between the VIA KM400 (and others) and the 9600XT. A lot of people seem to be having the problem with no signal to the monitor. ATI tech support wants to blame it on the power supply, but others have replaced the mobo and it's worked fine. I have no desire to replace the mobo, so I'll just get a different card. Now here's where the question is.... Which NVIDIA card should I get? The FX5900 can be gotten for around $200 now, but would I be better off waiting for the next generation of NVIDIA cards? I can get a cheaper card now, and wait a while, but if I do, I want to get a PCI version so I can stick it in my old computer (which has no AGP slot) once I upgrade. Is it worthwhile upgrading from onboard graphics to a PCI graphics card? If so, which PCI card is the king of the roost at the moment?

Thanks!

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
You Mean the KT400 right? Assumingly you have dumped the system already, did you grab the latest mobo drivers from VIA? Otherwise I have heard of problems with the KT400 chipset working on the 9500 and up. This issue was resolved with the KT600 but still the nforce2 chipsets take the taco.

The Geforce FX cards are pretty good as long as you dont plan on using heavy filtering.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.8)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/720)

poppinfresh

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2004
Nope, KM400 is correct. The mobo is an ASUS A7V8X-LA which is a version of the A7V8X-MX manufactured for HP. I tried the newest 4-in-1 drivers (and multitudes of other things), and had no luck... Has anybody had any bad experiences with this mobo and NVidia cards?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by poppinfresh on 01/13/04 12:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hah, VIA used to have problems with nVidia cards, now ATI, etc etc people still get the junk.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The right combination of parts, drivers, chipset revision, and configuration can make even the poorest system work OK. Fortunately I have higher standards, I feel that if a part works in one system it ought to work in another.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

poppinfresh

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2004
Okay took the 9600XT back, and ordered a FX5900SE from Newegg. Got it yesterday, plug it in, and it works!! No problems whatsoever. I thought I was going to go nuts from not being able to play any games! Screw ATI or VIA or ASUS or whoever was causing my incompatibility problems! I'll leave it up to them to decide who gets to bend over...

Nah Screw HP/DULL/Gackway/etc for cheap non-standard mobos.

My VIA KT400 + R9600Pro works just about flawlessly, and now back to flawless now that I've updated my bios.

BTW, did you try that? Does HP offer Bios upgrades?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
would probably void the warranty

-------

<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
dhlucke - "Phew...ok my wrists are hurting. I'm taking a break."

True but I would think that HP would have something on their site. I was able to get upgrades for all my IBM machines. I usually had 2-3 for each one I owned.

The BIOS upgrade I got wasn't from VIa of course, but from Gigabyte. I'm surprised that HP doesn't have an update, although I'm sure they're like Dull, in the sense that they won't let you change anything within that BIOS.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: