What to know when switching pre built PC to a new case

jgar70

Reputable
Nov 11, 2016
Hopefully this is ok to post here but I have a pre built gaming PC with a case that I never really liked. I want to buy a new PC pretty bad but I think instead if I just bought a new case and moved all of the party of my existing PC over that that would satisfy my urge.

This is my current PC" https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230133

I really like this case https://www.amazon.com/HP-Gaming-Desktop-Computers-900-011/dp/B01L825F1C but I will check around for other cool looking options.

Is there certain cases I cannot use (obviously everything has to fit) but I'm not sure what size my mother board is. Has anyone tried this before? Any tips?

Solution
The motherboard is a MATX so it should fit into most cases without issue, as for the HP it does support MATX so your system should fit into that case.

That is one expensive case, personally I'd get something cheaper (around the $100 mark) and then put in quiet fans that push a lot of air. I recently got the NZXT H500 and it's really nice for $80, then I'm dropping some Thermaltake RIING 120mm LED fans into it for better airflow and aesthetics. Doing something similar would save you enough money to put in at least a 240gb+ SSD for the OS and some games that have long loading screens.

WildCard999

Titan
The motherboard is a MATX so it should fit into most cases without issue, as for the HP it does support MATX so your system should fit into that case.

That is one expensive case, personally I'd get something cheaper (around the $100 mark) and then put in quiet fans that push a lot of air. I recently got the NZXT H500 and it's really nice for $80, then I'm dropping some Thermaltake RIING 120mm LED fans into it for better airflow and aesthetics. Doing something similar would save you enough money to put in at least a 240gb+ SSD for the OS and some games that have long loading screens.

Solution

kraelic

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2006
Well the linked PC uses a micro atx motherboard, goes to 4 of the 7 slots on its case. and that omen box has 5 slots, so it is ok

Carefully remove the parts from one case, move the I/O shield into the new case, make sure the stand-offs are in the right spots
put in the motherboard and other parts, may need the manual to hook up power reset and LEDs on the case. The location of the power supply might affect cable routing or need extentions.