Question what to look for when shopping for a new PC - probably Windows based

hondochica

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2012
It's been 9+ years since I've shopped for a computer - the last laptop I bought was 9 years ago - and the last desktop I bought was 14 (? +) y/o. Time does fly. Am currently using an old desktop : HP a4310f - that has a mere 4 GB memory (max amt avail when I bought it!) - and it just barely functions - it is not expandable. I recognize "it's time" . . . It's just been Sooooo long since I've looked at specs - I'm nearly a complete 'newbie' again!

Primary use is internet and basic office tasks (word processing, spreadsheets), some very minor photo editing. I'm not a gamer - so super cpu or graphics speed is not important.

SO:

What specs should I look for while searching for a new PC - I don't want a laptop.
- cpu: brand and size/speed
- grapics specs
- how much RAM?
- assuming it will have an ssd
- am hoping to keep my current ACER monitor - which is hdmi compatible - if that matters.

Now for operating system: Believe it or not I am still running Win 7 (home premium) and would really rather prefer to keep it - though I'm not sure that's possible. Ideally I'd just drop in my current drive with win 7 on it - but I don't think that's possible on a new system. I just don't want to spend the time 'learning' a new OS - even Win 11 is a PITA for me (which I have to navigate when helping a nearly blind neighbor with computer tasks from time to time). But I think I'm dreaming . . . in not having to 'learn' to use a new OS . .

have no idea what else to ask - so - . . . guess that's it

Thanks so much for your time -

Kelly

New computer components often don't have drivers for Windows versions older than Windows 10 anymore. You do have the option of buying a used desktop that's old enough to support Windows 7, might even still have it installed, but newer than the one you have. Windows 7 was still supported on systems that can have more RAM than you'd know what to do with.

Earlier this year, my employer finished upgrading all of our AMI jukeboxes from Windows XP to Windows 10. We did it only because AMI was shutting down the Windows XP systems, making it impossible for us to continue using them. They had 2GB of RAM, they now have 8GB.

I will remind you that Windows 7 is done with regular security updates and it is generally considered a bad idea to run it, but if that's what you want, you can do it with a better computer than you currently have pretty cheaply.

Example on Ebay with a 6th gen i5, 250GB SSD, 16GB of RAM, and Windows 7 for about $150:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3027699071...HDdZ1Z5WG9eRsV5u5HnRqHstk=|tkp:BlBMUMT26s-zZA

Sometimes you can move a storage drive from one computer to another and it works fine. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. It's generally considered to be a bad idea even if it works.

You shouldn't have any trouble keeping your current monitor. There is no reason it wouldn't continue working with a new computer so long as the computer has HDMI, which almost every desktop computer has.

popatim

Titan
I find windows 10 to be a good followup to 7 and the learning curve is virtually non-existant. still getting a win10 pc isn't going to be easy these days. I'm not sure if Win11 can still be downgraded to 10 just by doing a clean install of 10; like we used to be able to do.
Lets see what these guys can come with.

Shouldn't take much to meet your stated requirements.

You don't mention budget, so I'm assuming "as little as makes sense".

RAM: most candidates will have 16 or 32; a few still 8; I do well with 8 myself, but I'd probably go for 16.

SSD: yes; virtually any will have SSD. You don't need a fancy one. Concentrate on capacity. You might be fine with 500 GB or may need 2 TB or more. You dont provide a clue. Windows takes up about 30 MB.

OS; Windows 10 Home is fine. You may find 11 is more common. Win 7 choices will likely be very limited.

Graphics; you shouldn't need a video card at all. Many Intel CPUs and some AMDs include integrated graphics.

Power supply: 550 watts should be plenty. Pay attention to brand name and model number if you can. Better a high quality 550 than a random 750.

Most motherboards will have HDMI connections and likely another type as well. Should not be a problem, but confirm in the specs of your candidates.

Cooler: in all likelihood, the cooler supplied with any pre-built would be fine. Stock coolers can be a bit noisy at higher RPM. Would that bother you? If yes, you could replace the cooler or the fans on the stock cooler for 50 or less. AVOID liquid coolers for your stated use.

If you go Intel, a fairly recent upper level i3 CPU would likely work. Or a low-mid level i5 if you want to spend a little more.

I'd look at Amazon and Newegg for candidates. If you want to buy face to face, Costco would probably be my first choice. Or Microcenter if you have one close to you.

Because you are buying pre-built, you can't control the individual internal components as much as you'd like. You will have to compromise and cross fingers a bit.

I assume you want new only. I'd look at the usual suspects.....Dell, Lenovo, etc.

BE SURE to get an SSD. Most low-mid level machines will have only 1 drive.

Think about how you will back up your data.

Last edited: