Question What to test when mouse, keyboard and monitor turn off?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Hello, I am looking for a checklist of what I need to test on my rig after experiencing the mouse, keyboard and monitor turning off and the computer remains powered on other wise. I am forced to perform a PSU turn off as power buttons on case are unresponsive. I have tested and passed RAM with memtest86, I have also tested the HDD (chkdsk). Other than the last resort, buying a new PSU, what should I be testing? Currently on Corsair RM750 less than a year old also.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Didn't fix it, problem happened again earlier. I saw the DRAM light was on the motherboard when it froze. I already have tested my RAM with memtest. Is it possible the test is not catching an issue with the RAM that happens while gaming?

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Looks like I'll have to try and pursue the RMA to avoid having to pay for a new product. As a general question, how easy is it to damage these motherboards when installing them into a case? For example, I was not reckless at all and was careful as I could be when putting this thing in. This being my second Rog strix board I'm having an issue with, just trying to understand if I'm doing something wrong during install?

Are you sure they replaced it, and didn't just send the same one, or another one with a problem, back to you? ASUS is VERY bad about not replacing with new hardware, and sending used replacement units. It's very possible that you recieved a "refurbished" board that was nothing of the sort, simply used. I'd tell ASUS that you already had the board replaced once, and you still have problems, but they are different ones now, and that you want a new replacement, not a used or refurbished board. Or a refund so you can buy something different.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Are you sure they replaced it, and didn't just send the same one, or another one with a problem, back to you? ASUS is VERY bad about not replacing with new hardware, and sending used replacement units. It's very possible that you recieved a "refurbished" board that was nothing of the sort, simply used. I'd tell ASUS that you already had the board replaced once, and you still have problems, but they are different ones now, and that you want a new replacement, not a used or refurbished board. Or a refund so you can buy something different.
I bought a new one unfortunately instead of RMA back when I was having problems and replacing parts which is why this has been so frustrating. Its also why Im concerned Im doing something wrong during installation. Not sure what I could have done to damage it though as I said Ive been careful

I would recommend that you test it on the bench/counter/desktop in order to possibly eliminate problems with the case, standoffs, etc.

Read this WHOLE thing, then bench it.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Unfortunately my mobo passed the bench testing after re-attaching all components in order. Inspection of the motherboard shows no damage to pins on the board and also the cpu has no bent pins. AM4 slot is ok and the capacitors do not show bulging or leaking of fluid.

Its possible that my case having no standoffs on the outer edge of the board caused me to push the board into the case installing the 24 pin power supply cable or DRAM (saw no damage though as mentioned). The original build had a micro-atx mobo so it only had standoffs installed for that. I'll buy some online to prevent any issues in future during installs.

Do you think I should look into the power supply or voltages on the DRAM before replacing the motherboard?

Last edited:
Wait, what do you mean "no standoffs on the outer edge of the board. EVERY ATX motherboard should have the same number of standoffs and they should ALL, ALWAYS, be in the exact same place. This is probably your issue.

There MUST be 9 standoffs for ALL ATX motherboards. ALL 9 MUST be used, or you stand serious risk of damage to the motherboard through flexion, which can crack solder points, break traces, compromise connections to various components like the DIMM slots or capacitors, and so on. Now, I'm not saying that the lack of standoffs is what is causing your problem, but there is zero reason to not have the proper amount of standoffs AND you ONLY want them in the locations that line up EXACTLY with the 9 standoff holes in the motherboard. ANY standoff that does not line up exactly with the standoff holes in the motherboard should be removed from the motherboard tray because it will short out the motherboard from the bottom OR cause damage to electrical traces.

If you don't HAVE all 9 standoffs, then you need to GET them. And you need to make sure they are the same HEIGHT and the same THREAD PITCH as the ones you already DO have. It is important, because there are MANY different heights and thread pitches of standoffs.

Also, the micro ATX standoff pattern has THREE standoffs that do not line up with the holes in a full sized ATX motherboard, and those three standoffs should be removed and moved down to the holes in the motherboard tray where they WILL line up correctly. Then, you won't be missing any standoffs AND you won't have standoffs pressing up against the motherboard where they shouldn't be.

As you can see below, the three red dots represent the locations for microATX where standoffs would be located but there are NO holes in an ATX motherboard in those locations. Instead, the three dark holes at the bottom of the image is where the ATX motherboard should have those three standoffs relocated to.

U0YJgeW.png

atx.png

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
I think this is the issue. What I mean is I have 6 standoffs currently installed that line up perfectly. The last column of three standoffs does not exist on the outside (it was a mini not micro atx on first build) but they line up perfectly if I were to install standoffs there.

it appears I need 6-32-6.5 standoffs and M3 screws but am having trouble finding these online

Here is my case manual link: http://nordic.thermaltake.com/products-model_support.aspx?id=C_00001662

i will probably need to buy a new board since it was probably damaged by me bending putting in the 24 pin and dram. Could any of my components be compromised and damaged and could it mess up a new board installing them?should I replace them before potentially messing up new board I guess is my question

Last edited:

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
If you put standoffs where they belong, then no, I doubt any of your other components are compromised but obviously it's hard for me to say without having it in front of me to know.
Would you say its a low risk that a damaged component could mess up a new board?

Seems the most cost effective approach is to get the new standoffs installed and a new board and take the risk if its low

Last edited:
Honestly, I wouldn't really even worry about it unless the problem was bad enough that it was obvious, like a component that visibly smokes your hardware.

But again, I'm not there. I don't really know what has gone on.

Right now anything from the board is fine and it's something else to some completely faulty component could be on the table.

I mean, if the system works perfectly fine when you tested it on the bench, then the chances are there isn't even anything wrong with it. I'd probably actually just try it all on the bench and then run it that way to see if there are any issues at all. Actually USE it with it in the bench format. If it works fine, then get the standoffs, put it together correctly WITHOUT any standoffs installed in the case motherboard tray where they shouldn't be and go from there.

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Honestly, I wouldn't really even worry about it unless the problem was bad enough that it was obvious, like a component that visibly smokes your hardware.

But again, I'm not there. I don't really know what has gone on.

Right now anything from the board is fine and it's something else to some completely faulty component could be on the table.

I mean, if the system works perfectly fine when you tested it on the bench, then the chances are there isn't even anything wrong with it. I'd probably actually just try it all on the bench and then run it that way to see if there are any issues at all. Actually USE it with it in the bench format. If it works fine, then get the standoffs, put it together correctly WITHOUT any standoffs installed in the case motherboard tray where they shouldn't be and go from there.
Its hard to isolate and test for the issue as it happens normally after an extended time gaming (multiple hours) or if I leave a game on, I will notice hours later that the system froze.

Ive never received a notification through coretemp that the cpu is overheating. Weve tested the DRAM and HDD so that for me leaves the GPU, Power supply (or voltages) and motherboard as culprit. I highly doubt this new RX vega card failed this early in lifespan, or that the new power supply is already underpowering components.

what i could see as rational though is the lack of standoffs allowed bending and contact with the board and case that damaged something near the dram slots, thus why i get the dram light on failure

im going to get the standoffs and board and go from there, do you have any recommendations on where to get standoffs for my case?

Last edited:

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
I've seen a LOT of graphics cards that were failed directly out of the box. Don't EVER rule out ANY piece of hardware being faulty, whether it's one day old or ten years old.

https://www.amazon.com/Motherboard-Standoffs/s?k=Motherboard+Standoffs

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=motherboard+standoff+screws

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...570.l1313&_nkw=motherboard+standoffs&_sacat=0
Thank you for the help. This has been such an annoying issue but ive learned alot from it

michaelscottgilbert

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2013
Sorry, I keep having more questions.

Is there anything I can do to check the power supply is not the issue?

if i resolve that as well and get the new board that would mean it has to be the gpu like you are saying

also, im a little confused on what screws go with the 6-32 standoffs? Would these work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-32-Thread-x-1-4-Long-PC-Replacement-Screws-15-Pack/270806670356?_trkparms=aid=1110002&algo=SPLICE.SOI&ao=1&asc=225079&meid=d28f291dbd6d4096bfdb3834937e4cd6&pid=100891&rk=3&rkt=6&sd=280732809412&itm=270806670356&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2332490&algv=SellersOtherItemsV2&_trksid=p2332490.c100891.m5206

Last edited:
I don't think your standoffs are 6-32 on the motherboard side. You need to figure out what they are on BOTH sides, and total overall height. Your best bet would be to take them to any specialty fastener store, or if there is a good old fashioned hardware store in your town, which there should be given that you are in a very urban area, and let the hardware or fastener store tell you the thread pitch and size for both sides of the standoff, because they are NOT all the same from case to case and brand to brand, and then note that so you can get the right ones either through them or elsewhere. They will have the right tools for measuring the thread pitch and size.

or, just measure the height of the standoff, and get a FULL set of the correct HEIGHT standoffs WITH screws, and then it won't matter, because the screws will come with the standoffs so they will be correct. Most standoffs for modern cases are the same, but not all. There are variations out there. I have five different types of standoffs in my PC fasteners containers and they've come out of various systems. Some are taller, some are shorter, some have a different thread pitch on EITHER SIDE.