[SOLVED] What to upgrade next?

tomriches91

Reputable
Dec 10, 2017
I'm currently looking at upgrading my existing PC, I've noticed when I'm playing certain games (Usually Total War), that my PC gets really hot at the top. So it's obvious that I need some more cooling, but what exactly?

But what else could I be looking at upgrading? I'm usually having to user low/med graphics settings.

Thanks

Motherboard: MSI X79A-GD45 (MS-7735)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 16GB
GPU: GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
2x 1TB HDD
1x 256GB SSD

Solution
The case is actually okay, so two fans bring cool air in. I would add one fan at the back extracting air out of the case. This should clear any hot air near the CPU and provide a nice channel of air from front to back...As to the CPU cooler, do you know what make it is as the Corsair fan does not make it clear.
As to cooling, what are you currently using and what case do you have?

Here is a list of CPU's you could upgrade to over your current i7-3820 but you will have to find them second hand on ebay and the like. I have seen the i7-4930K 6 core for around a £100.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/X79_Express.html

The other option is a better GPU but you will be bottle necked, though not sure how much and hopefully others can help here. Something like a GTX 1660Ti...

Or go the whole way to a Ryzen 3600 CPU, B450 motherboard and DDR4 Ram. Total cost circa $400...This of course would make the biggest difference and drive the 1060 better.

tomriches91

Reputable
Dec 10, 2017
What make and model PSU, wattage, age, condition?

Cooler Master RS-600-ACAB-D3 600w, about 5 years old, decent condition.

As to cooling, what are you currently using and what case do you have?

Here is a list of CPU's you could upgrade to over your current i7-3820 but you will have to find them second hand on ebay and the like. I have seen the i7-4930K 6 core for around a £100.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/X79_Express.html

The other option is a better GPU but you will be bottle necked, though not sure how much and hopefully others can help here. Something like a GTX 1660Ti...

Or go the whole way to a Ryzen 3600 CPU, B450 motherboard and DDR4 Ram. Total cost circa $400...This of course would make the biggest difference and drive the 1060 better.

Cooling wise I have two fans at the front and a Corsair fan attached to the CPU that sits at the back. The case is a Graphite Series 230T.

Thanks!

The case is actually okay, so two fans bring cool air in. I would add one fan at the back extracting air out of the case. This should clear any hot air near the CPU and provide a nice channel of air from front to back...As to the CPU cooler, do you know what make it is as the Corsair fan does not make it clear.

Solution

tomriches91

Reputable
Dec 10, 2017

Thanks, I'll have a look into getting a fan at the back, although I'm not entirely sure there's enough space, I'll do some research.

I can't find any information on the fan itself, but it looks very similar to the Hydro Series H50 Quiet.

Thanks, I'll have a look into getting a fan at the back, although I'm not entirely sure there's enough space, I'll do some research.

I can't find any information on the fan itself, but it looks very similar to the Hydro Series H50 Quiet.

Aha...I see you have a AIO water cooler...the H50 in fact with one fan and it is fitted to the rear of the case...This might just need to be uninstalled and cleaned with new thermal paste applied...

A simple way to deal with the hot air at the top is to add a fan or two at the top for exhaust. Use very low RPM just to let out the pooled hot air. If too high RPM in fact you will wind up with slight negative case pressure, which can suck dust in through crevices.

How hot is hot?
cpu at 85c. under load should be ok.
The processor will monitor temperature and slow down or shut off if it detects a dangerous temperature. That is around 100c.
Perhaps you need do nothing.

The h50 type aio with a 120mm radiator and fan is not a great cooling solution.