[SOLVED] What to upgrade, processor or graphics card?

Feb 25, 2020
Just like the title suggests, I was wondering what I should upgrade first. I am trying to play games like Call of Duty: MW without having it freeze up on me whenever there is an update causing pretty much the whole computer to sorta seize up. I think that I should upgrade my processor first but I am not entirely sure because I am pretty much a noob at this. If you guys could give me some suggestions that would be awesome!

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5-8400 2.8ghz
Motherboard: B360M BAZOOKA (MS-7B24)
Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 (3gb)

Pretty much this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0757DVF4Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but with more ram haha.

Solution
You are probably running out of VRAM, with that GPU. Your issue is twofold. You have a CPU that doesn't have enough cores/threads, for titles that really can leverage them, and a GPU that is lackluster, at best. The 1060 3gb should have never existed. An 8700/8700k is another viable option, for your system, CPU side. GPU would depend much on what the make/model, of your power supply actually is. Cyberpower tends to use junk power supplies, in their systems.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, you would be thread limited in that game with just an I5-8400. Those non-hyperthreaded cpus basically 'choke' once all their cores are being used.
Requiring the least amount of change, the 9700(K) are your only options. You will need an aftermarket cooler - a Hyper 212 should work for the non-K, but is a no-no for the K - a Dark Rock 4 for example.
Problem is, it's another non-hyperthreaded cpu, at 8 cores/8 threads... you'll eventually run into the same problem again with it as well.

The next suggestion would be a 9900K, but you're going to have to change even more:
Cooler: 280mm AIO, 360mm, if you think you'd overclock it. The top end air coolers and 240mm AIOs can barely handle it at stock.
Motherboard: A good Z390 could be had around 200USD.
Case: Is that really the case you're using in the link? That presents some serious -airflow issues, and I wouldn't suggest any gpu upgrades without replacing that first. Heck, you should probably replace it regardless - I'm not sure an AIO would be ok in there...

Feb 25, 2020
Yeah, you would be thread limited in that game with just an I5-8400. Those non-hyperthreaded cpus basically 'choke' once all their cores are being used.
Requiring the least amount of change, the 9700(K) are your only options. You will need an aftermarket cooler - a Hyper 212 should work for the non-K, but is a no-no for the K - a Dark Rock 4 for example.
Problem is, it's another non-hyperthreaded cpu, at 8 cores/8 threads... you'll eventually run into the same problem again with it as well.

The next suggestion would be a 9900K, but you're going to have to change even more:
Cooler: 280mm AIO, 360mm, if you think you'd overclock it. The top end air coolers and 240mm AIOs can barely handle it at stock.
Motherboard: A good Z390 could be had around 200USD.
Case: Is that really the case you're using in the link? That presents some serious -airflow issues, and I wouldn't suggest any gpu upgrades without replacing that first. Heck, you should probably replace it regardless - I'm not sure an AIO would be ok in there...
I thought about just getting the 9700 but wasn’t sure if it was worth it. Also surprisingly enough I haven’t had a heat issue due to the case yet. I do want to build a new pc prob next year but gotta get some funds for it first since the PC isn’t really a priority right now. Just need something I can do as a quick fix.

Going to be interesting. The new consoles will come with 8 core CPUs. Considering the op is having issues with 6 cores, don't know that I'd go for 8 core CPUs without hyperthreading.

Either go for an i9, or go for ryzen. At the very least a ryzen 3600 which is 6 cores with hyperthreading, or maybe a 3700x.

logainofhades

Titan
You are probably running out of VRAM, with that GPU. Your issue is twofold. You have a CPU that doesn't have enough cores/threads, for titles that really can leverage them, and a GPU that is lackluster, at best. The 1060 3gb should have never existed. An 8700/8700k is another viable option, for your system, CPU side. GPU would depend much on what the make/model, of your power supply actually is. Cyberpower tends to use junk power supplies, in their systems.

Solution