what type of core is the p4

G

Erm, i do not think core types are named by 386, 486 or 586 anymore. From pentium till P4 are all called x86.
Read some revieuws on Tom's site, they explain a lot.

Don't expect too much op P4, it's slower than a PIII when opperating at the same speed.

Godim

G

<<<Don't expect too much op P4, it's slower than a PIII when opperating at the same speed.>>>

will there ever be a 3ghz p3???
no
has there been any software written for the p4???
no
has software been written to benefit from a 400mhz fsb???
no
i'll take my 1.5ghz o/c to 1.7ghz against your p3 1ghz that can't overclock.
YOU ARE A MORON

G

.... The AMD Athlons & Durons are K7 or 786. 3 integer math (ALU) units and 3 floating point math(FP) units

.... The intel Pentium & PentiumMMX was P5 core or 586 or "Pentium-class" (As was AMD K5). 2 ALU, 1 FPU

.... PentiumPro (PPRO), PII, PIII, Celeron are P6 or 686 (as was AMD K6-x) 2 ALU, 1 1/2 FPU

.... Pentium4, P4, or as we call it PIV, claims to be P7 or 786, but looks and performs more like a doctored PIII. 2 ALU, 1 FPU, lots of gimmicks

.... ALU's tend to be used in general business applications(apps.), web surfing, chat, etc.

.... FPU's tend to be used for newer games, 3D apps., CAD, CAM, etc.

mpjesse

Splendid
Pentium= 5x86 5th generation
P6/P2/K6-2= 6x86 6th generation
P3/Athlon= 7th generation
P4= "supposed" 8th generation (we all know it's not)

it's refered to now-a-days as "generation" instead of "x86". "x86" will pretty much be dead when sledgehammer and Itanium come out.

G

mpjesse, the P4 is not supposed to be an 8'th generation processor at all. The Pentium 4 is a seventh generation processor as is AMD's Athlon.

The Pentium Pro, P2,P3,K6-X are all 6'th generation x86 microprocessors.
While the Pentium, Pentium MMX, K5 etc. are all 5th generation processors.

"X86" is the underlying instruction set architecture not a measure of what "generation" a processor is from.

G

My my my, You seem to be the master of argumentum ad hominem. I've never seen anyone with such eloquence! Since you'd rather attack people than their arguments, there isn't much we can do for you. Considering that your arguments that weren't vicious personal attacks sucked anyway, you'd be better off not talking.

G

The difficult part is that the Pentium4 was designed to use software that hasn't been written yet. Or rather, designed to run new code that hasen't been included or supported by software yet.

Clock for clock, using current applications, AMD beats Intel, beyond question. But like MMX, 3DNow!, or even DirectX, there are additional lines of code that have to be added that modern Pentiums seem to do better than AMD's processors.

The real question, IMHO, is whether Intel can convince software developers to add the new lines of code. If the answer is YES, then Intel will surpass AMD in throughput, but if the answer is NO, Intel will take another big hit.

<font color=green>Buy, build, abuse, and replace... </font color=green>
What else is there? :wink:

G

Just a note, PIII is still a 6th generation. IT IS JUST A PII with SSE added. like a K6 was to a K62. Williametta is 786. Thats All

G

<<will there ever be a 3ghz p3???
no
has there been any software written for the p4???
no
has software been written to benefit from a 400mhz fsb???
no
i'll take my 1.5ghz o/c to 1.7ghz against your p3 1ghz that can't overclock.
YOU ARE A MORON>>

I think that a sensible conversation with somebody who uses the user name amdsuxcock could be hard to do, but here goes anyway....
The P3 is faster than the P4 Clock for Clock, but you are correct they could not get the P3 core to 3ghz but then I don't know of any P4's running at that speed yet, and of course there is the small matter of the P4 not being as fast as the Athlon(DDR) 1.2 on most things.... oh yes next year the P4 may be faster but by then I will want another new CPU not some old P4 1.5.....
I don't care who makes the CPU I want the fastest poss PC TODAY not next year, and next year whoever makes the fastest CPU for a good price will get my upgrade Money.....

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....