[SOLVED] What type of drill bit do I need to drill some holes in a Black Steel / Tempered case

yaggaz

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2013
Simply put, I want to attach this

radstand120mmbig1-1-2.jpg

To the back corner on this of this case, the P400a

11-854-085-V81.jpg

Those two holes you see is where you screw the tempered glass side on, so I need to drill behind it so I can attach the above brace to it. I will have a 240mm radatior externally mounted pulling air and blowing it across the back of the case so it's always pulling fresh, cooler ambient air. I don't care about looks.

What type of drill bit can get through this? Or is there an easier way I'm not thinking of? Never done this to a case before. Thanks

Edit: Here is a rear view of said case

phanteks-eclipse-p400a-rear-view.jpg

Solution
I doubt it matters too much for just two holes but if you think you'll be doing more of this in the future the cobalt bits like the ones linked above are the best for steel. Also would suggest using a center punch to keep the drill bit from wandering and also a little spray of oil to keep the drill bit cool. Drill at a slower RPM. Do enough and you'll eventually need to re-sharpen the bit.

If you're doing just the two holes. Grab whatever bit you have lying around that fits, drill slow and be generous with the oil. The sheet metal for cases aren't THAT thick (although Phanteks cases do seem to use thicker gauge sheetmetal).

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
I doubt it matters too much for just two holes but if you think you'll be doing more of this in the future the cobalt bits like the ones linked above are the best for steel. Also would suggest using a center punch to keep the drill bit from wandering and also a little spray of oil to keep the drill bit cool. Drill at a slower RPM. Do enough and you'll eventually need to re-sharpen the bit.

If you're doing just the two holes. Grab whatever bit you have lying around that fits, drill slow and be generous with the oil. The sheet metal for cases aren't THAT thick (although Phanteks cases do seem to use thicker gauge sheetmetal).

Reactions: yaggaz
Solution