[SOLVED] What Type Of HDD Trays For This Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghozion

Commendable
Oct 2, 2020
I get and fix up junk computers for fun and make a little bit of profit in the process, but this is a strange new frontier, never fiddled with old servers before.
I have a Howard S4004 that's up and running with Windows 10 (I may fiddle with a server distro later) at the moment but it has no drive trays and I have no idea what trays are compatible with what, most of them seem to be for specific series of HP or Dell systems and tracking down this question with Google-fu has proved impossible.
Also, one of the three 380watt redundant power modules was throwing a beep code and causing it to not boot so I pulled it and now its running.

Anybody willing to enlighten me a bit on this type of system?

20211111_013306.jpg

20211111_013316.jpg

Solution
Are they really that bespoke as to be unique to this machine?
Yes.
For instance, a Dell drive caddy won't fit in an HP server.

Or even the 'toolless guides' won't work between manufacturers.

I have a 4 bay QNAP NAS. The drives are in individual caddies, with a latch on the front. Slide in, press the latch down, done.
I couldn't take one of those and put it in a Synology NAS.

ghozion

Commendable
Oct 2, 2020
You can contact Howard directly and ask them (http://www.howard.com/index.cfm)

This was as useless as I had assumed. They just transfer me around until I get to somebody's voicemail.
Nobody at Howard has any incentive to help me with an obsolete server.
It is surprising that this is such a difficult question, I would have thought the type of HDD caddy to use would be readily identifiable by anybody that works with machines like these. Are they really that bespoke as to be unique to this machine?

This was as useless as I had assumed. They just transfer me around until I get to somebody's voicemail.
Nobody at Howard has any incentive to help me with an obsolete server.
It is surprising that this is such a difficult question, I would have thought the type of HDD caddy to use would be readily identifiable by anybody that works with machines like these. Are they really that bespoke as to be unique to this machine?
Yes, they can be.

USAFRet

Titan
Are they really that bespoke as to be unique to this machine?
Yes.
For instance, a Dell drive caddy won't fit in an HP server.

Or even the 'toolless guides' won't work between manufacturers.

I have a 4 bay QNAP NAS. The drives are in individual caddies, with a latch on the front. Slide in, press the latch down, done.
I couldn't take one of those and put it in a Synology NAS.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.