Question What upgrade should I do for my old system for converting into a NAS?

Brijesh Sundi

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
Hi
I have my old system so I am trying to make it NAS(I know the system is tooooo... old!!!!)
my old system specification:
mobo:GA-H61MS
proccessor:i3-3220
ram:16gb(8x2)(1333mhz)
graphics card:geforce 210(1gb)

Upgrades which I am planning to make perfect NAS:
  1. proccessor from i3 to i5-3470
  2. adding a pcie adapter to PCIEX1 for ssd support(M.2 Nvme)
  3. adding 8tb of 4 hdds(probably seagate Ironwolf Pro)
I am going to be using OMV(OpenMediaVault) as NAS Operating system and I am still finding a micro atx case which support 4 bays because I don't want to consume a space using a mid tower(I don't have that space in my house)
I live in india so NAS case(Cube case) are quite rear over here and COSTLY!!! as well

Any other Upgrades or changes will be appreciated from you guys!!!
And Please guide me whether I am in right path or not?

Brijesh Sundi

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
What data will be on this NAS? What will it be used for?
How many users?

I probably wouldn't make ANY change to it.
SSD or new processor not really needed

I will be using it for media steaming like(Movies,videos,etc...)
Transferring my data from pc to nas(My pc storage is full right now)
and almost 5-10 people would be using the nas server
and little bit of uploading stuff from another user as well over the local wifi network

Brijesh Sundi

Distinguished
May 14, 2014
That CPU is already more powerful than what comes in a lot of commercial NAS boxes from QNAP or Synology.
I'd leave it.

Maybe add a SATA III SSD for the OS.

the problem is my mobo has 4 SATA II ports which will occupied by 4X8TB drives
So I only have a option to install it via PCIEX1 so should i go with the pcie m.2 nvme or pcie sata 3 adapter?

I built a TrueNAS box using hardware I already had, and I ordered a cheap case that was on sale. When I went to expand the capacity I had to improvise. I looked into a few solutions:

Phantek's Stackable 3.5" Brackets - I thought about using these as they were compact, and I could add just what I needed.

Hard drive cage - This is what I ended up using. It had thread holes top and bottom, and I ended up screw it to the floor of the case, and bracing it to the motherboard tray. Several options out there like this, including black ones. In hindsight I should have ordered black, but this solved my drive mounting problems for the time being. It does take up quite a bit of room in the case though.

truenas6.jpg