[SOLVED] What upgrades would you make to my build for the next year of gaming:

sndr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2019
Hello All! I would like to thank anyone who takes the time to review my older build:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core (12 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Card name: Radeon RX 580 Series
RAM: 16GB

I am trying to play some newer games without running into lag, low fps (Not expecting 60+ on cyberpunk for instance) and speed. fps

Will give more information if needed.

Thank you.

Solution
I'd like to play maxed settings on Battlefield(s), Cyberpunk (Not max but better than the PS4's fantasy HDR), Red Dead. I'm currently 3840x2160 but would love 60 fps in everything except cyberpunk and some later year 2021 specs needed for that wow effect from the planned rig upgrades.

EVGA 600 BQ, 80+ Bronze 600W.

With a RTX 2080 Ti / RTX 3070, RDR2 will run at about 50 fps on max settings. Battlefield V with ray tracing and Cyberpunk with most of the ray tracing (even with DLSS) will also struggle. Thus, you're only real option for 60 fps+ at 4K is a RTX 3080 or better.

A 600 watt PSU isn't going to get you there, not even close. I'd upgrade to an 850 watt PSU from either Corsair or Seasonic.

The Ryzen 3600 is just...

sndr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2019
I'd like to play maxed settings on Battlefield(s), Cyberpunk (Not max but better than the PS4's fantasy HDR), Red Dead. I'm currently 3840x2160 but would love 60 fps in everything except cyberpunk and some later year 2021 specs needed for that wow effect from the planned rig upgrades.

With a RTX 2080 Ti / RTX 3070, RDR2 will run at about 50 fps on max settings. Battlefield V with ray tracing and Cyberpunk with most of the ray tracing (even with DLSS) will also struggle. Thus, you're only real option for 60 fps+ at 4K is a RTX 3080 or better.

A 600 watt PSU isn't going to get you there, not even close. I'd upgrade to an 850 watt PSU from either Corsair or Seasonic.

The Ryzen 3600 is just "fine" for most games, but in something like Cyberpunk 2077, its going to hold you back, especially if you turn on ray tracing. A Ryzen 5800x would be your best bet. Ideally, you should pair it with a 280 mm / 360 mm AIO (which AMD recommends for best performance). This will keep temperatures down, allowing it to boost higher than it would otherwise.

Reactions: sndr and Nemesia
Solution

sndr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2019

The Ryzen 3600 is just "fine" for most games, but in something like Cyberpunk 2077, its going to hold you back, especially if you turn on ray tracing. A Ryzen 5800x would be your best bet. Ideally, you should pair it with a 280 mm / 360 mm AIO (which AMD recommends for best performance). This will keep temperatures down, allowing it to boost higher than it would otherwise.
I'd also add that currently I have a AMD MOBO. It's the Tomahawk B450.

sndr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2019
A well-reviewed X570 or B550 motherboard. I'd recommend against an asrock board; bad software.
Appreciate the heads up on asrock. So with the Ryzen 5800X (Or it's cheaper brother 5600X) I'll need (from what I understood with your 280 / 360 mm AIO) comment a liquid cooling system. I've never really looked into liquid cooling the most I did in terms of cooling was upgraded the stock 3600's fans to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo . Any advice in this regard? I haven't seen much on Ryzen's official suggested cooling system recommendations online. This has always been the most intimidating part of upgrades or working on my build.

Appreciate the heads up on asrock. So with the Ryzen 5800X (Or it's cheaper brother 5600X) I'll need (from what I understood with your 280 / 360 mm AIO) comment a liquid cooling system. I've never really looked into liquid cooling the most I did in terms of cooling was upgraded the stock 3600's fans to a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo . Any advice in this regard? I haven't seen much on Ryzen's official suggested cooling system recommendations online. This has always been the most intimidating part of upgrades or working on my build.

A CM 212 Evo is perfectly fine, it's just that you'll be able to unlock slightly higher boost clocks and maintain them for longer with an AIO. It's definitely not required or anything.

Reactions: sndr

sndr

Prominent
Nov 23, 2019
A CM 212 Evo is perfectly fine, it's just that you'll be able to unlock slightly higher boost clocks and maintain them for longer with an AIO. It's definitely not required or anything.
Appreciate all of your suggestions. I wanted to see if you had anymore advice on the processor choice. You'd previously mentioned a 5800X and I did see the 5600X is cheaper and somewhat comparable performance wise. Any others I should look into alongside the 5800X? Any advice on getting my hands on a 3080 or a place I should be looking specifically?

Appreciate all of your suggestions. I wanted to see if you had anymore advice on the processor choice. You'd previously mentioned a 5800X and I did see the 5600X is cheaper and somewhat comparable performance wise. Any others I should look into alongside the 5800X? Any advice on getting my hands on a 3080 or a place I should be looking specifically?

Nvidia has recently made statements that it might not be until the second half of 2021 until we see wide availability of RTX 30xx GPUs. Until then, it'll be a matter of getting lucky. Try checking local stores; sometimes they'll have stuff available that they don't list as in-stock online.

As far as CPU choice, yes, the Ryzen 5600x is an option and most of the time has similar performance to the 5800x (as far as ability to hit higher frame rates is concerned) but when it comes to games with lots of objects or NPCs (such as open world games) more cores and threads can be useful, and an increasing number of games are being designed which can take advantage of more cores and threads. Thus for those that can afford it, I always recommend an 8 core 16 thread CPU (like the Ryzen 5800x). If you want to go higher than that, there's always the Ryzen 5900x with its 12 cores and 24 threads, although for purely gaming purposes I'm not sure how much use those extra cores and threads will be; I'd also imagine it'll be harder to keep cool with something like a 212 Evo.

RTX 3080 + 750w psu and you're good to go.