Question What value represents actual CPU temp?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I just finished a build with i5-14500 and while the bios states 65c at idle, looking at 3 different cpu monitor tools (hwmonitor, hwinfo & cpuid) they all show around 30c--unless I look at the tjmax which is same as bios at 65c. Which should I go by?

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
They could all be correct. The CPU may not be idling in BIOS. I get higher CPU temperature and more fan noise in BIOS than idling in Windows.

It could be 65C. It's not unusual. My i5-13600K hits ~60C easily when under moderate load, then goes back to around 30C when it idles.
For example something as trivial as a Firefox update will cause temps to go up to around 60 for a few seconds.

BIOS is not idle, in bios the cpu is boosted to whatever clocks are setup in the bios so it could be running overclocked even...

As soon as you go into windows the normal turbo boosting takes over and the CPU can clock down, if it is set up to do so.

Also tjmax for intel is at 100° if you are seeing 65° then it could be DISTANCE FROM Tjmax and not Tjmax

@alphacoyle
Most motherboards do not enable any of the CPU's low power C states when sitting idle in the BIOS. This can increase BIOS temperatures significantly compared to after you boot up into Windows and are sitting idle.

Because the low power C states are disabled when in the BIOS, some motherboards have an option so you can disable Intel Turbo Boost. This will run the CPU at its base frequency instead of its full turbo speed so the CPU does not get quite so hot while you are sitting idle in the BIOS. This feature is automatically disabled after you boot up into Windows.

Use HWiNFO for temperature monitoring. It also has the ability to report C state activity.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
BIOS is not idle, in bios the cpu is boosted to whatever clocks are setup in the bios so it could be running overclocked even...

As soon as you go into windows the normal turbo boosting takes over and the CPU can clock down, if it is set up to do so.

Also tjmax for intel is at 100° if you are seeing 65° then it could be DISTANCE FROM Tjmax and not Tjmax
Yes, it was distance. Thanks

Reactions: 35below0