What Was Apple Thinking? The New MacBook Is All About That One Port (Op Ed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
What happened to thunderbolt? Has Apple already dropped support for thunderbolt? Had they added just one USB 3.1-C and one thunderbolt connectior it would have helped a lot (even though very few periperals use thunderbolt).

The problem is that people think this is a small laptop (a truly glorified netbook) rather than what it really is: The new MacBook is the iPad Pro. It is slim, lightweight, capable of basic productivity work, but still a consumption device at heart. An iPad does not need to run multiple peripherals, because that is not what it is meant to do.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
What happened to thunderbolt? Has Apple already dropped support for thunderbolt? Had they added just one USB 3.1-C and one thunderbolt connectior it would have helped a lot (even though very few periperals use thunderbolt).

Thunderbolt to thick for this notebook. Its to thick overall. Type C is where it's at, but I agree with the writer, they should have at least included 2 ports. 1 port is madness.

therealduckofdeath

Honorable
May 10, 2012
No one wanted to buy into a connectivity where the cables costs over $50.
Funny that they're literally forcing people to buy $80 dongles for this one to make up for it... Let's just hope people vote with their wallets and buys something better.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Can you attach a compact splitter (hub) to have power and then a spare USB to a device?
Yeah curious why no thunderbolt. Does the headphones jack have the ability to output SPDIF?
I can't wait to see Ifixit's repairability score for this.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
The problem is that people think this is a small laptop (a truly glorified netbook) rather than what it really is: The new MacBook is the iPad Pro. It is slim, lightweight, capable of basic productivity work, but still a consumption device at heart. An iPad does not need to run multiple peripherals, because that is not what it is meant to do.

I think that's a really insightful analysis. Well said.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
What a piece of crap.... like all Apple products. I don't even care for their minimalist design, it's never usable. I like industrial and functional design, nice large buttons, million ports, huge screen, etc. Just can't stomach Apple anything.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Can you attach a compact splitter (hub) to have power and then a spare USB to a device?.

That's my understanding, yes. The hub is a sort of bridge to connect the Type-C power cable to the MacBook, and you also get USB Type A and HDMI (or VGA, depending on the dongle).

zkee

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
"Ironically, considering the use cases outlined above, the MacBook is really for power users -- people who have the latest tech (eg, a monitor with USB-PD), or who have gone to the trouble of setting up networked storage. But chances are, most of the folks purchasing a MacBook will be college students and average users who won't necessarily be equipped to work around the MacBook's portlessness."

I think that is a wrong assessment that this computer is for power users. This MacBook is the bottom entry level computer in Mac laptop line and it IS designed for students and average users. It is designed as a step up from the iPad, which only has one lightning port.

Don't let the price mislead you that this is a high end laptop (it isn't). The last time Apple had a white plastic MacBook, it sold for $899. This is part of that same line of laptops, but Apple added all this new technology in order to raise the bottom of their price bracket on the MacBook line. Expect the new tech in this MacBook to eventually make it to the other MacBooks and the prices to go in those accordingly.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
What a piece of crap.... like all Apple products. I don't even care for their minimalist design, it's never usable. I like industrial and functional design, nice large buttons, million ports, huge screen, etc. Just can't stomach Apple anything.

I wouldn't call it crap, but I get where you're coming from, I prefer ThinkPads,
always have. However, I'm glad we live in a world where people have the choice,
and there are those willing to push the style angle, experiment, etc. That said,
having just one of these ports does seem a very odd decision. Maybe Apple
would have more success marketing it as an iPad Pro (catchy name too), but
trying to sell it the way they are, well, I don't know... we already have a previously
irritated user base who had to switch from old stuff to Thunderbolt for the Mac Pro.

I just wish there was a ThinkPad gaming laptop, that'd be my ideal. :D

Ian.

anakai

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Another one pining for the old days of 5-1/4" floppy discs and parallel cables.

You people crack me up.

Well, it'll be nice if they manage to get this mainstream. That said, I don't care one way or another. It'll fall to the same issue I've been having with my Surface (very nice unit, but the IO is kind of shoddy). Admittedly I can charge while I use USB something, so that goes heavily in the "wow, why is this even an advantage on a full laptop?" category.

snazzy_finger

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
"Ironically, considering the use cases outlined above, the MacBook is really for power users -- people who have the latest tech (eg, a monitor with USB-PD), or who have gone to the trouble of setting up networked storage. But chances are, most of the folks purchasing a MacBook will be college students and average users who won't necessarily be equipped to work around the MacBook's portlessness."

I think that is a wrong assessment that this computer is for power users. This MacBook is the bottom entry level computer in Mac laptop line and it IS designed for students and average users. It is designed as a step up from the iPad, which only has one lightning port.

Don't let the price mislead you that this is a high end laptop (it isn't). The last time Apple had a white plastic MacBook, it sold for $899. This is part of that same line of laptops, but Apple added all this new technology in order to raise the bottom of their price bracket on the MacBook line. Expect the new tech in this MacBook to eventually make it to the other MacBooks and the prices to go in those accordingly.

That's kind of my point. This is clearly *supposed* to be something average users would buy, but only more technical users will get the most out of it.

Bluhorizons

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
I had to replace my 6-year old Mac Pro Plus mainly because the USB ports wore out. They are not easily replaced and their inventory in spare parts must be small--could not find replacements. I would NEVER buy a computer with just 1 USB port. Furthermore, the great majority of people do not need a port with such huge capacity. Thunderbolt? I had to pay plenty for the cables which I only used to connect to a remote screen and a ethernet cable. How many people need to transfer 20Gb of data so quickly? So, I think Apple has outsmarted itself here.

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
The Asus Zenbook has the exact same stats as the MacBook (with a minor exception, the Zenbook is a 16:9 screen where as the MacBook is 16:10 screen) and cost ~$550 less than the MacBook. In all seriousness, 160 extra pixels (2560x1600 vs 2560x1440) and Mac OS X is not worth $550.

rluker5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2014
The non power-users of apple products aren't very tech savvy. they may have a hard time setting up the framework to use the workarounds this device offers. thankfully the only way it will affect me is earlier widespread adoption of usb 3.1. I'd feel bad for the ordeal many users will go through, but they bought an apple to have an apple and they will probably be happy accepting the natural order of the apple ecosystem. weirdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.