[SOLVED] What was the cause of this error? Alienware M15

Feb 11, 2020
Hi all, random question (nice bit of morning troubleshooting) - got a Alienware laptop 2 years old, this morning went to boot up, wouldn't get past POST, tried getting onto BIOS it, at first nothing was registering, just appeared to be frozen? although once or twice a little load bar at the bottom of the screen would hint the POST was starting up.

Then I rebooted again, managed to get into the BIOS, could see the Time ticking though? Keyboards working as it accepted F2. Anyways I figured i'd disconnect power, battery, components (RAM/HDDS) and dusted/cleaned it. Re-fixed it all back up. Rebooted up without anything connected even power adapter and the problem was fixed? tried rebooting again with all devices connected (power/ mouse) Some command/ bug somewhere must of been telling it not to boot/ respond during BIOS.

Anyone with an suitable explanation - Google.com has failed me on this day!

Many Thanks

Tom!

Last edited:
Solution
so everything is working fine now?

Sometimes faulty BIOS settings can be the problem and disconnecting all can help, like a BIOS reset

or any connections was not tightly connected before
Feb 11, 2020
Yeah all is back to normal now, i feel like an error had built up in someway and removing / re-fixing the RAM solved it for some reason.

Just really curious if anyone had come across a similar error and would have a clearer direction to what could of caused it in the first place

Feb 13, 2020
With Alienware I have had a few that just needed a power drain. Pretty much this is unplugging the power, disconnecting the battery, and holding down the power button for about 30 sec. This fixes a lot of random issues that seem to be happening with the motherboard. Try this if it happens next time as I think when you took everything apart it did kind of the same thing and fixed it for you.

Think of a power drain as restarting the motherboard.

Feb 11, 2020
Strange, yeah will definitely try that, I've realised that maybe, it could of been my TV that caused the Issue as well, I have it setup in a multi-display setup (TV being the extended screen). After disconnecting and reconnecting it all I booted up with the HDMI taken out. Resulting in success! So that could of also been a trying factor! lol