Question What was the first video game you remember playing?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people my age remember playing games on xbox 360, but my memories are different and mostly even older games.

I first remember playing games on my brothers PC when he first got it around 2009 or so. This had a week Celeron and my parents didn't want us on the internet or something, so we ended up running games from early 2000s on CD.

We had a 1000 games one CDs and other cds, so its not really a single first game.

One was called wild wheels. You drove around rc cars to complete races and missions. I distinctly remember a level where you had to deliver bombs to defusal places in time. I think i remember this since it was so hard.

I also remember a game called speedy eggsbert. It was a puzzle game where you could complete obstacle curses or even design your own. I remember it crashed a lot too, probably a windows vista thing.

I picked up a copy of NFS 2 SE at a thrift store and the fun times i went through to get it working on vista. Not fun. This game made me love the McLaren F1.

I also remember a game called petz. This was on like a wendys kids meal cd. You got to have dogs, play with them, train them, and take care of them. Your whole objective was to win talant shoes.

I remember a game called funkez. You had a city of sorts and you could do many things, but i cant remember any specifics other than monjong tiles. You could customize your little creature and room too. The game had little plastic characters with codes.

Nov 26, 2019
Oh, and

KT7ZtSv.jpg

hanotaink

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
The first one, or at least the most memorable one, has to be Gruntz. I have no idea how I started to play it, but the silly slapstick humor and visuals really captivated me at the time. Later on I played other stuff that was popular in the early 2000s - Heroes of Might and Magic, Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft... Well, I guess Blizzard was pretty much the only gaming company that I knew of at the time.

When I was super young, the first game my parents got me was the original Spyro the Dragon for PlayStation. Spent many endless hours on it, mainly chasing those egg thieves around. Playing the remaster felt like I had come home after being away for so long :')

Reactions: Shadowclash10

KawaTom

Reputable
Jan 17, 2020
I think it was pac man on Atariim the 80's.
First pc game i think ws Captain Comic and that was on our neigbouhrs 4000$ computer in the early 90's so no thats probebly like about 8-9000$ in todays money

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
The first game was "Need for Speed: High Stakes"! My brother and I were having fun playing it on a Pentium III computer. We used to lose track of time. We would play the game right after school and then start doing our homework until evening.

Bullet_Science

Prominent
Mar 25, 2020
I was 6 , and i was very lucky , as my dad had a PC (1997). I remember playing this game Once Upon A Time: Little Red Riding Hood(1991).

once-upon-a-time-little-red-riding-hood_12.png

Barkfunklerbunk

Prominent
Nov 20, 2019
Can't remember when, or exactly what.. but it was either Tetris or Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt on the NES. I can remember my dad taking us up north to the cabin in his pickup truck with a topper, and us in the back in the bed with a mattress and a small TV+NES hooked up. Not sure that would fly these days, but kids can just game on their phones in safety, buckled into a seat.. Not loosey goosey on a mattress in a pickup bed. Haha!

The very first videogame I remember playing was the first Super Mario for Nintendo NES.
We didn’t own the console or game, but we used to rent it at a local store.

Actually it was mostly my older sister who played the game, as she somehow managed to convince me it was better if I acted as audience. But I did get to play every once in a while.

2nd posting to this thread.
Been a gamer since 1982
Had no name console that dad banned me from using cos he was convinced it would break TV set.
Built a zx 81 complete with line bounce when pressing enter , also had ram pack wobble lol.
First spectrum game was trans am , god how corny it looked.
First pc games were THE THING , RETURN TO MONKEY ISLAND and GRIM FANDANGO

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
I’m pretty young, so I never really played some of these old games
I remember I wouldn’t play this spongebob game on my dad’s old PS2. That’s probably the first game I remember really getting in to.
Then my family got one of those old iPads. I would play angry birds on that a lot. Then I remember playing one of those Dragon City games where you’d build habitats for dragons.
Those are definitely the game I remember playing first.

Reactions: Shadowclash10
Space Invaders in a grotty shop so, so long ago!!!!early 80's! Moved onto my all time fave Defender which I could clock all the way around. First game on a PC was Aviator on the BBC Micro and then the mighty Elite!

So probably a few * here since console, PC, arcade games can all be a "video game first" and equally as important.

I think the first actual video game I played at home was pong on an I think a Timex Sinclair that a friend of mine had in the early 80s. For an actual more complex video game would have been something like Galaga, Space Invaders, Asteroids and Defender. I remember Defender the most since there was a machine in some shop on my way to and from school in Brooklyn and it made me late to school quite often LOL

For computer games on a system my family owned, Zork, Battle Zone (tank game) were probably the earliest.

I think Defender of the Crown was one my favorites, I played that a ton but it was some years after the first.

jwcrellin

Reputable
Actually, checkers may have been the first pc game I ever played. Took ages to download over 56k. On NES I can remember playing Rygar. I think one of my friends had that original polygon tank in a maze game (forget the name). Edit: Battlezone

Shadowclash10

Prominent
May 3, 2020
I’m pretty young, so I never really played some of these old games
I remember I wouldn’t play this spongebob game on my dad’s old PS2. That’s probably the first game I remember really getting in to.
Then my family got one of those old iPads. I would play angry birds on that a lot. Then I remember playing one of those Dragon City games where you’d build habitats for dragons.
Those are definitely the game I remember playing first.
Yeah, pretty similar story here. I think the first full, proper game I ever played would have been KOTOR?

Status
Not open for further replies.