[SOLVED] What will happen if pc doesn't get enough power from the psu?

Aug 24, 2020
I have 550W 80+ bronze psu (EU), so it can deliver ~470W. Cpu at max draws 90W at 1.2v. Gpu 200W at max. If others can draw 150W, that means my psu is maxed out. If i want to oc, could i? If it wants more power what will happen? (i started from a cheaper pc and upgraded my 100W gpu to a 200W, and i didn't know i will, pls don't write just buy a new psu)

Solution
i see 225w+ for a gaming load for that gpu. you might be ok but i'd replace that psu ASAP. you'e right you are going to be pushing that psu beyond what it wants to provide steadily. you won't be maxing it out but it will be running at about 90% which it will not like at all.

you should consider a 650w psu when you replace this one ASAP!!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what is the exact psu model? a quality unit should be able to give its max power on the 12v rail. a "550w" psu that can only provide ~470w does not start me off on a positive note for how it might do.

in general if the pc does not get enough power, it will shut down. it is not built to deprive one part while powering another. if you overload the psu, it can shutdown (best case) or start frying circuits which can take your pc parts with it or perhaps your whole house when it bursts into flame.

your full system specs and EXACT psu model will help tell the true story of what you are looking at.

bignastyid

Titan
Depends on the quality of the PSU.
A good PSU will just shutdown if overloaded.

A poorer/mediocre quality unit may become unstable and the system will crash and if done often can lead to permanent damage to parts of the system.

A low quality,bargain bin or generic unit could fail catastrophically and damage other parts in the system.

I'd need to know the make and model of the unit to give you an idea of where your falls.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
I have 550W 80+ bronze psu (EU), so it can deliver ~470W. Cpu at max draws 90W at 1.2v. Gpu 200W at max. If others can draw 150W, that means my psu is maxed out. If i want to oc, could i? If it wants more power what will happen? (i started from a cheaper pc and upgraded my 100W gpu to a 200W, and i didn't know i will, pls don't write just buy a new psu)
Which psu? =maker+model+wattage.
What parts in the pc?

A 550watt psu should be able to deliver 550watts, it being bronze doesn't make that less, means only that it will use more from the wall than a gold rated to deliver the 550watts.
Depending on which psu could it deliver less on the +12V rial which is the most important rail for power hungry parts, but the above still stands.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
we still need to know the system specs. your power guess for each part is likely only the number on the side of the box. real world numbers can vary widely. could be higher or lower, but we can't know until we know the specs you wish to power with this psu.

this is not a very good psu, but with the right parts it might be ok.

Aug 24, 2020
I tested it myself, with hwinfo64 and another software. Cinebench r20 and heaven for benchmark.
Cpu: ryzen 5 2600 all core 3.6 ghz auto oc
Gpu: rx 5700xt, sapphire pulse, base
Mb: asrock b450m pro4
2x8 gb ram
3 120mm +cpu fan
Few led strips

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i see 225w+ for a gaming load for that gpu. you might be ok but i'd replace that psu ASAP. you'e right you are going to be pushing that psu beyond what it wants to provide steadily. you won't be maxing it out but it will be running at about 90% which it will not like at all.

you should consider a 650w psu when you replace this one ASAP!!

Reactions: ZsMat
Solution

TRENDING THREADS