MSI B350 Gaming Plus
2x4gb 3200mhz
GTX 1050 2gb
Corsair CX550M
120gb ssd w/ Windows 10 pro X64
240gb SSD with games
500gb 5400rpm HDD with games
1080p 60hz monitor

I mainly play games and use google chrome for youtube playback in the background. I very ocassionally run a virtual machine and occasionally edit short 1080p clips.

I am looking for someone elses insight on what i should upgrade. Here is some of the games i play with vitals measured by MSI afterburner. Im away from my pc rn so some of these figures are not 100% accurate.

I play a lot of Automation, and i am incredably happy with my results. I get 60fps with highish settings @1080p 150% resolution scale. Max settings dont work so well after the last lighting update. Resource usage while gaming: CPU-15-25% Mem-6.5GB GPU-100% Vram-2GB

BeamNG.Drive gives me the most headache. With 1080p low sometimes i have a stable 60fps but sometimes my FPS tanks into the 20s in certain areas of different maps. Low settings im forced to run at make everything look cartoonish, as well as making things in the distance indistinguishable. This game is unoptimised and seems to love using up all of my ram. Utilizations: CPU-40% Ram-7.2GB GPU-100% Vram-2gb

GTAV runs decently. I mostly play story mode in cars. I get around 75fps at 1080p highish settings, however there is some times that when a lot is going on like explosions or gunfights where my game stutters, likely due to my cpu being pegged.
CPU-100% Ram-idk GPU-70-100% Vram-high 1gb range

tf2 runs maxed out with like 130fps. I notice my gpu still being pegged but cpu only at like 50% in tf2 especially. Ram and Vram are underutilized.

Running beam ng or GTAv with youtube in chrome in the background sometimes causes stutter, but this is rare and only in these games.

I have been thinking about slapping in a 4gb 570 ~$115 and $51 for another identical kit of 8gb ram since my cpu seems not to be the limit in most games
The problem is I only want to spend around $100.
What do you think i should change about my build for the most performance increase for my money?
url=https://ibb.co/6PFmhsd]
20190413-123131-1.jpg
[/url

Last edited:
Yea. So do you think i would get more of a bump from the ram upgrade or the gpu?
Im guessing gpu.
Also, if I buy another ram kit, identical to the one i have, will it work? Is there any notocable drop in performance by running 4 sticks of ram limited to dual channel?

May 23, 2019
There would technically be a different in the ram however tbh it would not be noticible with 16gb. Maybe with just 8 but not when you have 16, also I do think that a gpu upgrade would be the best upgrade for performance due to your current one only having a total of 2gb of vram where most games if you want to get higher settings use 2.5+, which is where you start to fall short. However soon after a gpu upgrade I would try get some more ram maybe 2 more 2x4gb as in a lot of games these days they are starting to demand more and would be your next upgrade needed anyway. I hope this helps.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX
RX 570 or 580 would be a decent upgrade to the 1050. Ram should be OK, may be a good idea to just keep other programs closed when playing games.
Remember you can also sell the 1050 if you don't care to keep it as a spare so going to a 580 instead of the 570 would be possible with the same $100 or so cost to you.

I have been thinking of selling the 1050 2gb on ebay?
What do you think is a proper price for the 1050 in used good condition and the price in not tested condition?
I have had sone black screen issues, but it only happens when my ac turns on or i plug other stuff into the wall receptical. So i think the card is fine. If i get a more hungry RX 570 ill plug in my pc elsewhere.

May 4, 2019
I have been thinking of selling the 1050 2gb on ebay?
What do you think is a proper price for the 1050 in used good condition and the price in not tested condition?
I have had sone black screen issues, but it only happens when my ac turns on or i plug other stuff into the wall receptical. So i think the card is fine. If i get a more hungry RX 570 ill plug in my pc elsewhere.
Probably around $100

I was thinking of listing my GTX 1050 for like $100 on eBay if I don't sell it locally first.
Ok, so do you know of any deals on a good RX580 AIB model would you recommend for under 125 or 135? If you don't know of any 580s, how about 570s? Keep in mind, I may overclock.
A matching aesthetic to my build pictured above and free games are strongly wanted, however not a necessity.
If buying new I would want a warranty.

Last edited:
Last edited:
May 23, 2019
probably ram whenever you can, even if you don’t play high intensive games, edit or stream even things like chrome can use up quite a bit. Hence why I moved to Firefox a while ago ( and among a few other things)

Ok, so I received the card in the mail today. It came with a 2x6 pin to 8 pin adapter, I'll keep it for spares. The card was in an ESD bag wrapped 3-4 times in bubble wrap and encased in a genaric box.

I booted my PC on GTX1050, deleted MSI afterburner and profiles, deleted GeForce experience, deleted everything labeled NVIDIA under settings, and used DDU in safe mode to delete drivers.

I plugged in the RX480 and 8 pin PCI-E power connector, and the system booted, YAY! It was at a low resolution, but a quick visit to the AMD website and install of the latest drivers fixed the resolution. I went to youtube and 1080p video played flawlessly. But, when I bumped my resolution to 4k, it stutters. Red Flag...
Device manager shows the RX 480, but with an error code 43, uh oh.
Opened GTAV and it said I didn't meet the minimum Vram requirements, odd since this is an 8gb card. The game launched and defaulted to like 480p. I put the resolution to 1080p and settings all to lowest. The game took forever to load and when it did, it wouldn't load in all of the textures. Ran choppy, like 5fps.
I downloaded MSI afterburner and GPU mem and core clocks were at 0mhz. I couldn't change the clocks or fan speed (I won't use MSI Afterburner for overclocking anyhow). Framerate in GTAV was only like 7 fps.
GPUz shows its a 480 8gb, but some info is missing.
HWMonitor doesn't show the card at all.
View: https://imgur.com/a/BcAIaEs

What's the deal? The idea it may have mining bios went through my head. It is listed as "seller refurbished", so it may have been used for mining. At least the cards RGB sapphire logo works :)
I actually fell in love with the Sapphire RX480 8gb Nitro+ aesthetic. Looks great if it would work.

Nevermind yall. I solved it myself. I downgraded drivers and reflashed the Vbios. The stock VBIOS was corrupt when the seller sold it to me. Reflashed and all problems solved.
What tool do you recommend for overclocking an AMD card?
Also what should I do to reflash the card to an RX 580.