[SOLVED] What would be the best option 2400mhz or 2666mhz sodimm ram?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 7, 2019
I am planning to replace the 4gb 2400mhz ram of my Asus Vivobook s15 X510uf i5-8250u. I don't know if i should get 2x8gb 2400mhz or 2666mhz sodimm ram

I am upgrading the ram so that video rendering for adobe premiere and after effects would be faster. At the same time for multi tasking

Please educate me in buying since I don't know much about the technical stuff.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey @Mrgr74

where is the video? How would I know if my laptop support 2666 and btw my laptop has a dedicated video card 2gb ddr5 Nvidia mx130. In terms of price, here in my country 2400 and 2666 has the same price.

Mine has only the Toshiba MQ04ABF100 1TB but I'm planning to buy an Adat xpg sx6000 Lite 128gb m.2 nvme ssd and transfer my os there.

Haha.. Damn sorry about that!
Generic RAM Speed Video here & here.

Did a quick google and it shows your laptop supports up to 16GB DDR4-2400. Do you have the manual that came with it? You can buy & install 2666 and if your laptop won't run at those speeds, it will simply under-clock itself to the speed it supports. You can download CPU-Z to check RAM size & Speed...
Dec 7, 2019
Hi @renexmrcd

Looks like a very informative video. I'd suggest that you have it open on either your phone or tablet for quick reference while installing. You are in for a nice surprise. That m.2 is gonna make your system fly like never before. :) If you have any files on your current HDD that you want to save and aren't sure how to back them up, to prevent any accidental deletion, be sure to only have the m.2 installed. Once your system is up and running and you have updated all of the drivers, power down and reconnect the old drive. You'll most likely not be able to play any of the games you had on it or run any programs due to missing registry entries, but you will be able to access any documents or pics you may have had. If there is nothing on it, you can then format the drive to be used as storage.

Please keep us updated how it goes. Would like to hear how much faster your system will be. :)
I have already backed up my files into my external hard drive does this mean its okay for me to not remove the hdd during the process?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I have already backed up my files into my external hard drive does this mean its okay for me to not remove the hdd during the process?

Yep! Totally OK. You'll notice that one of the steps in the video, around the 4:20 mark, (LOL!) is picking which location you want to install Windows to. It'll not say it's the m.2 drive, so look for the one just under 240GB which I think you said the m.2 drives capacity was. Don't worry as it'll show as a little less than that. Your HDD will also be displayed on this same screen. You can format it at this time so it's fresh and ready to go once Windows is up and running.

I'm sure you already know, but keep in mind that later on when you install programs and such, to keep an eye where Windows wants to default install them. Usually on C:/ (m.2) so be sure to choose the HDD drive at that time.

Dec 7, 2019
Yep! Totally OK. You'll notice that one of the steps in the video, around the 4:20 mark, (LOL!) is picking which location you want to install Windows to. It'll not say it's the m.2 drive, so look for the one just under 240GB which I think you said the m.2 drives capacity was. Don't worry as it'll show as a little less than that. Your HDD will also be displayed on this same screen. You can format it at this time so it's fresh and ready to go once Windows is up and running.

I'm sure you already know, but keep in mind that later on when you install programs and such, to keep an eye where Windows wants to default install them. Usually on C:/ (m.2) so be sure to choose the HDD drive at that time.
yes thank you I'll update you when the ssd and ram arrived roughly 4 days from now. I bought everything online and made sure that the shop is really an authorized reseller by kingston

Dec 7, 2019
Hi @renexmrcd

Looks like a very informative video. I'd suggest that you have it open on either your phone or tablet for quick reference while installing. You are in for a nice surprise. That m.2 is gonna make your system fly like never before. :) If you have any files on your current HDD that you want to save and aren't sure how to back them up, to prevent any accidental deletion, be sure to only have the m.2 installed. Once your system is up and running and you have updated all of the drivers, power down and reconnect the old drive. You'll most likely not be able to play any of the games you had on it or run any programs due to missing registry entries, but you will be able to access any documents or pics you may have had. If there is nothing on it, you can then format the drive to be used as storage.

Please keep us updated how it goes. Would like to hear how much faster your system will be. :)
Hey I just want to update you regarding my upgrade and all I can say is WOW my laptop is 10x faster than before, I installed the a400 240gb m.2 ssd and 2x8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram of kingston on my device all by myself and reinstalled windows and set the ssd as my boot drive with your guidance and wisdom (also the very helpful video from youtube:ROFLMAO:). Thank you so much for your help and opinions its really helped me

Reactions: Mrgr74

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hey I just want to update you regarding my upgrade and all I can say is WOW my laptop is 10x faster than before, I installed the a400 240gb m.2 ssd and 2x8gb ddr4 2400mhz ram of kingston on my device all by myself and reinstalled windows and set the ssd as my boot drive with your guidance and wisdom (also the very helpful video from youtube:ROFLMAO:). Thank you so much for your help and opinions its really helped me

Sweet! Well done! No better teacher than hands on! Now call around and ask local repair shops how much they charge to do what you just did to really put the cherry on the top when you realize just how much money you saved yourself!!

Again, well done. :)

Dec 7, 2019
Sweet! Well done! No better teacher than hands on! Now call around and ask local repair shops how much they charge to do what you just did to really put the cherry on the top when you realize just how much money you saved yourself!!

Again, well done. :)
Actually I did that before deciding to do it on my own it would cost me at least 2000 php (39.15 usd) just for them to install the ram and ssd and an additional cost to reinstall windows also about 2000 (39.15 usd)

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Actually I did that before deciding to do it on my own it would cost me at least 2000 php (39.15 usd) just for them to install the ram and ssd and an additional cost to reinstall windows also about 2000 (39.15 usd)

Nice! I'm pretty sure you'd like to spend that 4k php on something else! Now, since you did it yourself, that "savings" is just gonna keep adding up every time you fix the problem yourself.

Faith in thyself. :)

Dec 7, 2019
Nice! I'm pretty sure you'd like to spend that 4k php on something else! Now, since you did it yourself, that "savings" is just gonna keep adding up every time you fix the problem yourself.

Faith in thyself. :)
You know how much I could sell my old ddr4 ram (the one that's originally installed in my laptop) sk hynix 4gb 2400 mhz ?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
You know how much I could sell my old ddr4 ram (the one that's originally installed in my laptop) sk hynix 4gb 2400 mhz ?

Honestly, not enough to make it worth your time placing an ad on your local electronics auction site. Do you have Craigslist where you live? Or Offerup? If not, might be a good idea to hold onto the RAM for a rainy day should the new RAM go bad in your PC (very unlikely but tiny chance) or if you have a friend that needs RAM for his/her system, you'd have it. The choice is of course yours, but you'd not get much for it if you tried to sell it.

At any given time I have enough parts on hand to build an entire system should my primary system go down. Might not be pretty or fast, but I'd at least HAVE a PC.. lol..

Dec 7, 2019
Honestly, not enough to make it worth your time placing an ad on your local electronics auction site. Do you have Craigslist where you live? Or Offerup? If not, might be a good idea to hold onto the RAM for a rainy day should the new RAM go bad in your PC (very unlikely but tiny chance) or if you have a friend that needs RAM for his/her system, you'd have it. The choice is of course yours, but you'd not get much for it if you tried to sell it.

At any given time I have enough parts on hand to build an entire system should my primary system go down. Might not be pretty or fast, but I'd at least HAVE a PC.. lol..

We dont have Craiglist or Offerup but somewhat similar to that I saw other selling it for around 1000php (19.70 usd)

Dec 7, 2019

I need help! I've been encountering this error: https://ibb.co/h9DGrgq

Dec 7, 2019

It happened again :eek: