[SOLVED] What would be the best option 2400mhz or 2666mhz sodimm ram?

Dec 7, 2019
I am planning to replace the 4gb 2400mhz ram of my Asus Vivobook s15 X510uf i5-8250u. I don't know if i should get 2x8gb 2400mhz or 2666mhz sodimm ram

I am upgrading the ram so that video rendering for adobe premiere and after effects would be faster. At the same time for multi tasking

Please educate me in buying since I don't know much about the technical stuff.

Last edited:
Solution
Hey @Mrgr74

where is the video? How would I know if my laptop support 2666 and btw my laptop has a dedicated video card 2gb ddr5 Nvidia mx130. In terms of price, here in my country 2400 and 2666 has the same price.

Mine has only the Toshiba MQ04ABF100 1TB but I'm planning to buy an Adat xpg sx6000 Lite 128gb m.2 nvme ssd and transfer my os there.

Haha.. Damn sorry about that!
Generic RAM Speed Video here & here.

Did a quick google and it shows your laptop supports up to 16GB DDR4-2400. Do you have the manual that came with it? You can buy & install 2666 and if your laptop won't run at those speeds, it will simply under-clock itself to the speed it supports. You can download CPU-Z to check RAM size & Speed...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi @renexmrcd

Here is a nice little video showing the general differences of RAM speeds. If your laptop can support 2666, then get that. Buy the fastest RAM your laptop can support that won't break your bank. Keep in mind tho, that for general use, you'll most likely not notice much of a difference between 2400 & 2666, but it you plan on doing hardware intensive tasks like rendering, then get the fastest you can. Your CPU will make the biggest difference when it comes to overall rendering speed though.

Do you have an SSD or the stock 5400rpm SATA?

Dec 7, 2019
Hi @renexmrcd

Here is a nice little video showing the general differences of RAM speeds. If your laptop can support 2666, then get that. Buy the fastest RAM your laptop can support that won't break your bank. Keep in mind tho, that for general use, you'll most likely not notice much of a difference between 2400 & 2666, but it you plan on doing hardware intensive tasks like rendering, then get the fastest you can. Your CPU will make the biggest difference when it comes to overall rendering speed though.

Do you have an SSD or the stock 5400rpm SATA?

Hey @Mrgr74

where is the video? How would I know if my laptop support 2666 and btw my laptop has a dedicated video card 2gb ddr5 Nvidia mx130. In terms of price, here in my country 2400 and 2666 has the same price.

Mine has only the Toshiba MQ04ABF100 1TB but I'm planning to buy an Adat xpg sx6000 Lite 128gb m.2 nvme ssd and transfer my os there.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hey @Mrgr74

Did a quick google and it shows your laptop supports up to 16GB DDR4-2400. Do you have the manual that came with it? You can buy & install 2666 and if your laptop won't run at those speeds, it will simply under-clock itself to the speed it supports. You can download CPU-Z to check RAM size & Speed, along with regular CPU info. Your particular laptop, if you gave us the correct model #, came in alot of different configurations, but your CPU is near the top of your particular unit so that's good.

I'd highly suggest you reinstall your OS and not transfer it to the new SSD. Any SSD is gonna blow away the stock HDD that came in your laptop, but keep in mind that 128GB won't leave you a lot of room to work with after the OS is installed. Especially if you have large rendering files you want to store on it.

What Bios version is your laptops mobo? CPU-Z will give that info as well. A newer ver. Bios may support faster RAM.

Solution
Dec 7, 2019

Did a quick google and it shows your laptop supports up to 16GB DDR4-2400. Do you have the manual that came with it? You can buy & install 2666 and if your laptop won't run at those speeds, it will simply under-clock itself to the speed it supports. You can download CPU-Z to check RAM size & Speed, along with regular CPU info. Your particular laptop, if you gave us the correct model #, came in alot of different configurations, but your CPU is near the top of your particular unit so that's good.

I'd highly suggest you reinstall your OS and not transfer it to the new SSD. Any SSD is gonna blow away the stock HDD that came in your laptop, but keep in mind that 128GB won't leave you a lot of room to work with after the OS is installed. Especially if you have large rendering files you want to store on it.

What Bios version is your laptops mobo? CPU-Z will give that info as well. A newer ver. Bios may support faster RAM.
CORRECTION My correct laptop model is Asus Vivobook S15 X510UF

Here our my CPU-Z results
https://ibb.co/jgTHPJM
https://ibb.co/2F4b42y
https://ibb.co/j8DcsH8

I plan to only use the ssd for faster boot up and store files in my hdd but what would you recommend, I am only considering this but my priority if ram upgrade.

What ram speed would you recommend for me to buy? and would you also advise me to continue my plan in the ssd?

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
CORRECTION My correct laptop model is Asus Vivobook S15 X510UF

Here our my CPU-Z results
https://ibb.co/jgTHPJM
https://ibb.co/2F4b42y
https://ibb.co/j8DcsH8

I plan to only use the ssd for faster boot up and store files in my hdd but what would you recommend, I am only considering this but my priority if ram upgrade.

What ram speed would you recommend for me to buy? and would you also advise me to continue my plan in the ssd?

I'll have to wait until I'm off work to look at the CPU-Z as my works firewall blocks those links.

Looking at updated specs for your laptop, it's still showing DDR4-2400 so best go with that. You can get faster DDR4, but your laptop will just under-clock it to the speed it supports. A nice 2x8 DDR4 kit will be great. You have the the single stock stick of 4GB + Optane installed? Just about everyone here will advise against buying another 4GB stick. Even if it's the same speed/make/brand.

While there is a very good chance you'll have no problems if you did this, it's also quite possible TO have issues as the RAM may not want to play nice together. Best bet would be to buy a 2x8GB kit. Also keep in mind that your on-board GPU will tap into your RAM so... 16GB is best.

As for an SSD, that's a sure-fire way to kick your laptop into overdrive. A cheap upgrade that provides a huge boost. so yeah, get one lol.. Your laptop supports an m.2 up to 512GB.

Exciting times are ahead of you.. :)

Dec 7, 2019
I'll have to wait until I'm off work to look at the CPU-Z as my works firewall blocks those links.

Looking at updated specs for your laptop, it's still showing DDR4-2400 so best go with that. You can get faster DDR4, but your laptop will just under-clock it to the speed it supports. A nice 2x8 DDR4 kit will be great. You have the the single stock stick of 4GB + Optane installed? Just about everyone here will advise against buying another 4GB stick. Even if it's the same speed/make/brand.

While there is a very good chance you'll have no problems if you did this, it's also quite possible TO have issues as the RAM may not want to play nice together. Best bet would be to buy a 2x8GB kit. Also keep in mind that your on-board GPU will tap into your RAM so... 16GB is best.

As for an SSD, that's a sure-fire way to kick your laptop into overdrive. A cheap upgrade that provides a huge boost. so yeah, get one lol.. Your laptop supports an m.2 up to 512GB.

Exciting times are ahead of you.. :)
Have any idea on how i can reinstall windows on my own? or would it be best to let experts from where I would buy the ram and nvme m.2 ssd

looking forward to hear from u regarding my cpu-z results!

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Have any idea on how i can reinstall windows on my own? or would it be best to let experts from where I would buy the ram and nvme m.2 ssd

looking forward to hear from u regarding my cpu-z results!

Did you buy the laptop from a retail store, online or 3rd party? Installing Win10 on your own is straight forward enough and there are a ton of "How-To" videos on Youtube that will walk you thru the process step-by-step. If you want to go that route, we can link you to the right ones to watch. You can of course have a shop do it when you buy the RAM and M.2, but unless you fall into the "I don't care how it works, I just want it to" category then you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not doing it yourself. In the long run, the "Know-How" will save you a bucket of money. :)

When you got your laptop, did you get a Win10 sticker with your product key? Check on the back or under where the battery goes. Usually it's there. You can also register the key to your email thru Microsoft (which you may have already done) I'm drawing a blank on his name, but there is a member here (Several actually) that knows the process like the back of his hand on how to register your version of Win10 to your email so that after you installed a fresh copy of Windows, you'd enter in your email and voila. He'll be along shortly I'm sure. If not, either I or another member will walk you thru the steps IF you want to do it yourself.

Let us know your ultimate plans and we'll go from there. Given any idea where you're gonna buy the RAM & M.2 from? Amazon? Newegg? Whats your budget? We can help steer you in the right direction and help with prices & whatnot. Again, you can take it in and the shop can take care of everything as well should you wish to take that path.

Dec 7, 2019
Did you buy the laptop from a retail store, online or 3rd party? Installing Win10 on your own is straight forward enough and there are a ton of "How-To" videos on Youtube that will walk you thru the process step-by-step. If you want to go that route, we can link you to the right ones to watch. You can of course have a shop do it when you buy the RAM and M.2, but unless you fall into the "I don't care how it works, I just want it to" category then you'd be doing yourself a disservice by not doing it yourself. In the long run, the "Know-How" will save you a bucket of money. :)

When you got your laptop, did you get a Win10 sticker with your product key? Check on the back or under where the battery goes. Usually it's there. You can also register the key to your email thru Microsoft (which you may have already done) I'm drawing a blank on his name, but there is a member here (Several actually) that knows the process like the back of his hand on how to register your version of Win10 to your email so that after you installed a fresh copy of Windows, you'd enter in your email and voila. He'll be along shortly I'm sure. If not, either I or another member will walk you thru the steps IF you want to do it yourself.

Let us know your ultimate plans and we'll go from there. Given any idea where you're gonna buy the RAM & M.2 from? Amazon? Newegg? Whats your budget? We can help steer you in the right direction and help with prices & whatnot. Again, you can take it in and the shop can take care of everything as well should you wish to take that path.
Does my laptop support m.2 nvme ssd?

I'm going to buy the ram and ssd in a physical store here in manila philippines (pc express is the name of the store) and they are selling the 8gb 2400mhz ram for only 1700 php (33.50 usd) and the ssd I plan to buy is only 1600 php (31.50 usd)

I'll have to ask first the store if they would offer to install the ram and nvme ssd for free (hoping since I'll spend like 5000 php (98.54 usd) on them lol HAHAHA).

Last edited:
I am planning to replace the 4gb 2400mhz ram of my Asus Vivobook s15 X510uf i5-8250u. I don't know if i should get 2x8gb 2400mhz or 2666mhz sodimm ram

I am upgrading the ram so that video rendering for adobe premiere and after effects would be faster. At the same time for multi tasking

Please educate me in buying since I don't know much about the technical stuff.
The CPU doesn't support faster than 2400Mhz and the Laptop doesn't appear to support XMP. Buying 2666Mhz ram may get you stuck at 2133Mhz if it doesn't have 2400Mhz in SPD. I recommend not buying faster than 2400Mhz.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Does my laptop support m.2 nvme ssd?

I'm going to buy the ram and ssd in a physical store here in manila philippines (pc express is the name of the store) and they are selling the 8gb 2400mhz ram for only 1700 php (33.50 usd) and the ssd I plan to buy is only 1600 php (31.50 usd)

I'll have to ask first the store if they would offer to install the ram and nvme ssd for free (hoping since I'll spend like 5000 php (98.54 usd) on them lol HAHAHA).

As per the laptops spec page, yes. It has an M.2 slot. Here's the video on how to install it. Here is the video on how to install the RAM.

as for installing Win10, they may do it for you free. Ask them and see. If not, the choice is yours if you want them to do it or you do it yourself. Either way let us know! :)

Reactions: renexmrcd
Dec 7, 2019
thank yiu
As per the laptops spec page, yes. It has an M.2 slot. Here's the video on how to install it. Here is the video on how to install the RAM.

as for installing Win10, they may do it for you free. Ask them and see. If not, the choice is yours if you want them to do it or you do it yourself. Either way let us know! :)
thank you so much really appreciate all the info man i"ll update you! happy holidays

Reactions: Mrgr74
Dec 7, 2019

Hi! I need your opinion

I will continue upgrading my ram to 2x8gb 2400 mhz and buying a kingston a400 240gb ssd m.2 can you help me make the ssd as my boot drive

Hoping for your reply

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hi! I need your opinion

I will continue upgrading my ram to 2x8gb 2400 mhz and buying a kingston a400 240gb ssd m.2 can you help me make the ssd as my boot drive

Hoping for your reply

Hi @renexmrcd

After you install the m.2, your laptops mobo will auto detect it as it turns on & as Windows begins its installation, during the process a screen will pop-up allowing you to choose the m.2 (which will be the single default drive if that's all you have installed) If you have a regular SSD/HDD as well as the m.2, you'll have the option of installing to either of them. The Win10 installation is very straight forward. If you want to format/delete the files on the other drives, you can do this during installation as well.

Before you do anything tho, especially if you are not 100% comfortable, I'd spend a few hours on Youtube watching "How-To" videos as they will have your particular laptop not to mention countless generic "How -To" videos which show the basics. With a few small exceptions, Laptop RAM more or less all installs the same. The same for SSD's/HDD's/m.2 etc.

When you begin the RAM/m.2 upgrades, have a video open next to you to refer to as you go.

Never force anything. Nerves have a tendency to make people "grumpy" so deep breaths and there are a ton of people here that will gladly help. Even the smartest once knew nothing. :)

Dec 7, 2019
Hi @renexmrcd

After you install the m.2, your laptops mobo will auto detect it as it turns on & as Windows begins its installation, during the process a screen will pop-up allowing you to choose the m.2 (which will be the single default drive if that's all you have installed) If you have a regular SSD/HDD as well as the m.2, you'll have the option of installing to either of them. The Win10 installation is very straight forward. If you want to format/delete the files on the other drives, you can do this during installation as well.

Before you do anything tho, especially if you are not 100% comfortable, I'd spend a few hours on Youtube watching "How-To" videos as they will have your particular laptop not to mention countless generic "How -To" videos which show the basics. With a few small exceptions, Laptop RAM more or less all installs the same. The same for SSD's/HDD's/m.2 etc.

When you begin the RAM/m.2 upgrades, have a video open next to you to refer to as you go.

Never force anything. Nerves have a tendency to make people "grumpy" so deep breaths and there are a ton of people here that will gladly help. Even the smartest once knew nothing. :)
but do I really need to re-install windows and clone everything on my hdd if I'm just gonna use the ssd as my boot drive? Because I've watched this video and he did this method at 4:39 to set the m.2 as his boot drive and before he did that he cloned everything. I don't have any idea if this is what I'm supposed to do haha

Last edited:

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
but do I really need to re-install windows and clone everything on my hdd if I'm just gonna use the ssd as my boot drive? Because I've watched this video and he did this method at 4:39 to set the m.2 as his boot drive and before he did that he cloned everything. I don't have any idea if this is what I'm supposed to do haha

Personally, I do not like cloning drives. I never saw or rather I should say HAD the need to do so. Perhaps it's just my own little quirk, but then again, I do reinstall Windows every 6 -8 months to ensure everything is running at peak. I'm sure some/many here will disagree. To each their own.

As for it being a boot drive, that's the whole point. You can't boot from an empty drive. Even if you clone your HDD over to the M.2 successfully, you still have potential issues inherent with HDD's, which are vastly inferior to SSD's transferring over as well during the process. An HDD is like an office. No matter how organized you are, files still go missing or have coffee spilled on them corrupting them etc. Then what if you have a frenemy that is jealous of your success and comes over and places a bug under the table, you know, something right out James Bond. This is malware. Then lets say you also go to websites you shouldn't and "catch a cold" that will then transfer over to your new m.2. Unless you are in the middle of making the next block buster film for say Pixar and have no other choice but to clone, then do it. Otherwise, and again, this is just me and my own personal opinion, if you get a new primary drive. Install a fresh version of windows. It really does not take that long and the benefits outweigh the negatives.

There are of course variables that come into play, such as what if you don't have a USB drive with Win10 or no internet at the moment to download drivers or a slow internet or metered connection and don't want to spend 50hrs re-downloading everything.. Or any other number of root causes why cloning may be the better option.

I'll let others offer their suggestions so that you can better make an informed decision, as my way isn't necessarily the correct way! Haha.. :)

Damn so I just re-read your last post and I think I totally missed your point.. Ha ha.. You can have both the HDD and the SSD installed. You'll continue to boot from your HDD and can use the SSD as storage. If you want to use the SSD as a boot drive, you'll need to install Windows/Linux or clone. My rant above still stands tho. lol..

One reason to reinstall Windows is so that the new SSD can be set to use GPT instead MBR for partition tables during installation when the bios has UEFI enabled instead of legacy bios. I would use GPT over MBR mainly for the cyclic redundancy check, so that if part of the drive has an issue and data is corrupted, it might be recoverable. You could activate the drive in Windows as GPT, but then if you clone your OS partition to the new SSD it will be reactivated as MBR if the original OS drive was also activated as MBR. Converting an MBR disk to GPT can possibly cause a lot of issues the worst being data loss.

Dec 7, 2019
Personally, I do not like cloning drives. I never saw or rather I should say HAD the need to do so. Perhaps it's just my own little quirk, but then again, I do reinstall Windows every 6 -8 months to ensure everything is running at peak. I'm sure some/many here will disagree. To each their own.

As for it being a boot drive, that's the whole point. You can't boot from an empty drive. Even if you clone your HDD over to the M.2 successfully, you still have potential issues inherent with HDD's, which are vastly inferior to SSD's transferring over as well during the process. An HDD is like an office. No matter how organized you are, files still go missing or have coffee spilled on them corrupting them etc. Then what if you have a frenemy that is jealous of your success and comes over and places a bug under the table, you know, something right out James Bond. This is malware. Then lets say you also go to websites you shouldn't and "catch a cold" that will then transfer over to your new m.2. Unless you are in the middle of making the next block buster film for say Pixar and have no other choice but to clone, then do it. Otherwise, and again, this is just me and my own personal opinion, if you get a new primary drive. Install a fresh version of windows. It really does not take that long and the benefits outweigh the negatives.

There are of course variables that come into play, such as what if you don't have a USB drive with Win10 or no internet at the moment to download drivers or a slow internet or metered connection and don't want to spend 50hrs re-downloading everything.. Or any other number of root causes why cloning may be the better option.

I'll let others offer their suggestions so that you can better make an informed decision, as my way isn't necessarily the correct way! Haha.. :)

Damn so I just re-read your last post and I think I totally missed your point.. Ha ha.. You can have both the HDD and the SSD installed. You'll continue to boot from your HDD and can use the SSD as storage. If you want to use the SSD as a boot drive, you'll need to install Windows/Linux or clone. My rant above still stands tho. lol..

Can you send me a video on how to reinstall windows in my m.2 ssd?

I think you should know this haha but I am planning to use both the m.2 and hdd. The m.2 will serve as the booth drive and I will install all my applications their like adobe ps, ae, pr while the hdd are for my files

Newer laptops don't even need an activation key anymore, its somehow integrated in the bios.
I formated a new HP laptop and windows activated itself without entering any email or key but you must not connect to the internet during setup otherwise you will have to enter your email.

Dec 7, 2019
Newer laptops don't even need an activation key anymore, its somehow integrated in the bios.
I formated a new HP laptop and windows activated itself without entering any email or key but you must not connect to the internet during setup otherwise you will have to enter your email.
So i just need to install my m.2 and set it as my boot drive and thats it?

Dec 7, 2019
I

I'm planning to follow this video what do you think?

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I

I'm planning to follow this video what do you think?

Hi @renexmrcd

Looks like a very informative video. I'd suggest that you have it open on either your phone or tablet for quick reference while installing. You are in for a nice surprise. That m.2 is gonna make your system fly like never before. :) If you have any files on your current HDD that you want to save and aren't sure how to back them up, to prevent any accidental deletion, be sure to only have the m.2 installed. Once your system is up and running and you have updated all of the drivers, power down and reconnect the old drive. You'll most likely not be able to play any of the games you had on it or run any programs due to missing registry entries, but you will be able to access any documents or pics you may have had. If there is nothing on it, you can then format the drive to be used as storage.

Please keep us updated how it goes. Would like to hear how much faster your system will be. :)