Question What would be the best way to replace my 4 pin CPU connector?

Jun 22, 2024
My 4pin CPU power connector burned up. The ground wires melted right at the connector. I have another 4 pin but that's if I had an 8pin so it won't fit in the existing spot. What would be the best way to get power back to CPU?

Last edited:
The "best" way is to replace the 4-pin header by soldering in a new one or with a new motherboard. The most expedient way is to bypass it by directly soldering the wires to where the header used to be.

After all, you have a burned up 4-pin header so the motherboard is trash, and a burned-up PSU plug so the PSU is trash, so why not solder them together and continue to use them for however long either will last for? Those connectors have a surprisingly low number of rated insertion cycles (like 25!) so soldering would be way more reliable.

If you are lazy and willing to risk burning it again (which is more likely as it's been burnt before and carbon residue has higher resistance), well the quick and dirty way would be to release the pins for the black wires out of their plugs and swap them around so unmelted ones fit in the header. Just make sure not to mix up where the yellow and the black wires go.

Reactions: artk2219
Jun 22, 2024
The "best" way is to replace the 4-pin header by soldering in a new one or with a new motherboard. The most expedient way is to bypass it by directly soldering the wires to where the header used to be.

After all, you have a burned up 4-pin header so the motherboard is trash, and a burned-up PSU plug so the PSU is trash, so why not solder them together and continue to use them for however long either will last for? Those connectors have a surprisingly low number of rated insertion cycles (like 25!) so soldering would be way more reliable.

If you are lazy and willing to risk burning it again (which is more likely as it's been burnt before and carbon residue has higher resistance), well the quick and dirty way would be to release the pins for the black wires out of their plugs and swap them around so unmelted ones fit in the header. Just make sure not to mix up where the yellow and the black wires go.
Just the wires burned I think not the entire connector

Jun 22, 2024
I would say replace the motherboard.
Do you know WHY the connector burned ?
It's the PC I built in middle school about 11 years ago. Probably the wire started to come out from when I was reseating some other ones and it no longer had a good connection? It's the ground wires so I'm not sure why they would be having so much current sent through them, so long story short no clue.

USAFRet

Titan
It's the PC I built in middle school about 11 years ago. Probably the wire started to come out from when I was reseating some other ones and it no longer had a good connection? It's the ground wires so I'm not sure why they would be having so much current sent through them, so long story short no clue.
Replace the PSU.

Give us a little better picture of the motherboard damage.

Jun 22, 2024
Rosewill Power supplies were the free add along when you bought a case. Good for low end non gaming PC's or a power supply to mess with while you waited for UPS to bring you a better one.

Due to age, make and damage replace.
Seems unlikely any new PSU will have a 4 pin? Ive seen a bit of stuff looking into fixing this and all of the new stuff has 8pin or more.

To a point you need to find out what caused this in the first place.

If it was just the power supply those are pretty easy. You can buy replacement ends and they pretty much just crimp on.

The motherboard is much more difficult. The actual connector is actually very easy to get the problem is it is going to take a lot of heat to get the connector unsoldered. You have to be very careful to not damage any of the other tiny parts on the motherboard.

In general you have nothing to loose really trying it. The motherboard is likely already unusable in the state it is.

The problem is if there is some kind of short on the motherboard that burned that connector up it will just happen again. Maybe it is like the video card issue and the cable was not plugged all the way in and it just got hot.

One thing I see in picture #6 up in the left of the picture is a SATA to Molex that pig tails into a 6 pin GPU power plug.

I wonder how long it was used and did the extra tapping of your 12 volt system end up the issue with your 4 pin motherboard plug.

Can you borrow a power supply to test system before you go down the nickel and dime money pit.

Jun 22, 2024
Explosions, house burning down, death.
And the running and screaming...always the running and screaming.

The PSU is toast, for multiple reasons.
The motherboard, maybe.

But it IS an 11 year old system.
What are the full specs of what you have?
A SSD, a spinning drive, AMD A10 5800K, 2 sticks of ram, Asus graphics card and I'd run 2 monitors off of it. What details are you looking for? I just know the basics so I'm not sure what you are asking for.

Jun 22, 2024
To a point you need to find out what caused this in the first place.

If it was just the power supply those are pretty easy. You can buy replacement ends and they pretty much just crimp on.

The motherboard is much more difficult. The actual connector is actually very easy to get the problem is it is going to take a lot of heat to get the connector unsoldered. You have to be very careful to not damage any of the other tiny parts on the motherboard.

In general you have nothing to loose really trying it. The motherboard is likely already unusable in the state it is.

The problem is if there is some kind of short on the motherboard that burned that connector up it will just happen again. Maybe it is like the video card issue and the cable was not plugged all the way in and it just got hot.
The graphics card? I don't see any other places that look chard so how would I find a short?

Jun 22, 2024
One thing I see in picture #6 up in the left of the picture is a SATA to Molex that pig tails into a 6 pin GPU power plug.

I wonder how long it was used and did the extra tapping of your 12 volt system end up the issue with your 4 pin motherboard plug.

Can you borrow a power supply to test system before you go down the nickel and dime money pit.
The top left is all connected together but the 6 pin isn't used, the graphics card is plugged in with a blue 6 pin that's its own line. The fan is the only thing plugged into that but that fan has been rattling recently and isn't as quiet as it used to be.

Jun 22, 2024
Time for a new system.

Currently, your PSU is toast. Your motherboard is likely toast.

Buying parts to resurrect a 12 year old platform is a waste of money.
what could I salvage from this for a new one? I dont have any spare cash atm but I need something for work. RAM graphics card and processor would all be non compatible with any new motherboard right? The hard drives and fans could still be used?