Question What would make brand-new RAM bench so poorly?

Oct 16, 2023
Hello everyone!

View: https://imgur.com/QFvv5uc

I recently spent days benching to find out what my PC's problem is and realized I need an upgrade on my RAM. So I bought the 2x16 GB 3600 (I realize my MOBO only suports 2933 but its still better than my old, 2666).

If you look at Bench No 21 - the old 2666 RAM out-performed the new 3600 and now I am stuck on why. Supposedly, according to PCpartpicker - its compatible with my MOBO.

The last 3 benches are of the new RAM.

I realize I'm not getting the full performance and maxing out at 2933 but eventually I will buy a new MOBO and upgrade, I just want to know why this RAM is doing this now.

Ran the windows memory diagnostics tool and found no issues. Thank you everyone!

Oct 16, 2023
include your complete system specs with the make & model of all components.

are you actually running the proper XMP profile?
Sorry :

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600KF
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3060
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 500GB
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16 GB 3600 Mhx
MBD: Asus ROG STRIX B460-F GAMING

About XMP - I've toyed with it before but as I don't understand very well, I left it at default.

Thank you!

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If the board only supports 2933, then it will have to be a manual tuning if the BIOS options are available.

If not, then the memory is just going to run at 2133 or 2400 with loose timings.

Oct 16, 2023
Okay so I enabled XMP 1 and changed the default frequency of that profile from 2666 to 2933. Now the pc is ON but screens are all black.

Oct 16, 2023
If the board only supports 2933, then it will have to be a manual tuning if the BIOS options are available.

If not, then the memory is just going to run at 2133 or 2400 with loose timings.
So went and did that, I tried 2933 does not post, as well as 2900 same issue. As far as i can tell the Memory and Mobo are compatible and the Mobo is 2933 max so why won't it post?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Did you only change the speed?

I would suspect the XMP profile also had a voltage specified. Make sure that is happening.

Memory timings could be a factor. Depending on what the defaults are, trying those timings at faster speeds may not work.

If you set 2900 or 2933 using XMP profiles, then it should have configured everything properly. Load it back to defaults, download CPU-Z, and you can see the memory timings listed in the various profiles. Manually set all the timings and then set the speed.

Oct 16, 2023

I would suspect the XMP profile also had a voltage specified. Make sure that is happening.

Memory timings could be a factor. Depending on what the defaults are, trying those timings at faster speeds may not work.

If you set 2900 or 2933 using XMP profiles, then it should have configured everything properly. Load it back to defaults, download CPU-Z, and you can see the memory timings listed in the various profiles. Manually set all the timings and then set the speed.
I tried with the specific 1.35 voltage but also the previous 1.20 voltage and still the same, can't post.

Oct 16, 2023

Set the timings where sorry? Am I using a profile or default mode?

Oct 16, 2023
After more testing the system posts at 2666Mhz but nothing even slightly above that. If my mobo supports 2933 surely I should be able to get there? And if the Mobo and memory are not compatible surely it won't even let me post at current settings?

Oct 16, 2023
[Moderator Note: edited post to remove profanity.]

....... there is a small footnote in the User manual that explains this: "for 10th gen processors only Core i7/i9 CPUs support 2933 Natively, others will run at a maximum of 2666 MHz" ... Im on an i5, maybe its time to upgrade

Last edited by a moderator:
The product is not listed but Pcpartpicker recommended it and claims it's compatible
then it hasn't been confirmed compatible.
likely the site just mentions it as compatible because it fits that board.
Im on an i5, maybe its time to upgrade
if putting some money into upgrades;
i would definitely be getting a decent motherboard that can run modern RAM speeds also.

as far as i can tell, that motherboard isn't even supported by ASUS in the US.

Oct 16, 2023
then it hasn't been confirmed compatible.
likely the site just mentions it as compatible because it fits that board.

if putting some money into upgrades;
i would definitely be getting a decent motherboard that can run modern RAM speeds also.

as far as i can tell, that motherboard isn't even supported by ASUS in the US.
Im with you, the motherboard is not good enough anymore and im looking at alternatives.

thank you for all the help, you can close the thread :)