What's a fun hobby that's easy to get into?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2018
My ex and I broke up last week after she expressed her desire to sign up for a foreign marriage agency. Now, I just want to focus on moving on and forgetting all about her. I was thinking of taking up a new hobby, but I’m not quite sure what the best one would be. Any suggestions for hobbies that are fun, but easy to get into? I want to do something entertaining and productive with my spare time to keep from thinking about her.

Solution
friend of mine loves to prospect for gold. everywhere he travels he finds places and brings home a few buckets of dirt to pan for gold. i've gone a few times and found it interesting enough. cheap to get into as it only takes a pan and a place to look. there are a ton of places all over that for a small daily fee let you pan all you want.

doesn't hurt that whatever you find can be sold for a decent price. a couple ounces in a day if you're really lucky is not a bad reward for the day's work. of course there are a ton of more sophisticated ways to prospect which takes extra cash but the good old tin pan and a spot on a river bank is still just as viable as it was a hundred years ago :)

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
friend of mine loves to prospect for gold. everywhere he travels he finds places and brings home a few buckets of dirt to pan for gold. i've gone a few times and found it interesting enough. cheap to get into as it only takes a pan and a place to look. there are a ton of places all over that for a small daily fee let you pan all you want.

doesn't hurt that whatever you find can be sold for a decent price. a couple ounces in a day if you're really lucky is not a bad reward for the day's work. of course there are a ton of more sophisticated ways to prospect which takes extra cash but the good old tin pan and a spot on a river bank is still just as viable as it was a hundred years ago :)

Reactions: Sky Murders
Solution

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Reminds me of something I've always wanted to try: metal detecting. Especially the ones that for the most part are water proof and you can walk around creeks and dip it down in to the water. If you don't live near a beach/coastline chances are you are within driving range of many creeks/shallow river areas where people do a lot of kayaking/tubing/boating/etc. People loose jewelry, bags of money/coins, etc ALL the time doing stuff like this. Hell, even just walking along the shore of a popular destination for this kind of thing I found a gold bracelet once (Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania). I can only imagine the stuff you'd find being able to dip a metal detector down in to like 2-3 ft of water... rings, coins, etc...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
they also do that but other than enjoying the time spent in walking in some pretty nice locations, i did not find it all that exciting. was nice and peaceful though walking along some nice secluded wooded areas as we followed the creeks.

still cheap to get into overall and something that can help take the mind of other things like the op is hoping :D

Metal detecting is fun if you make it, lets go to this park or national park (check with Park information if allowed , it isn't in all places)
I have asked farmers to look at their derelict property (house or building) and surrounding, and often found old coins, and jewelry

things you can try... and as a 50 something old I have and found superb to try at least once and is safe.
Parachuting, tandem skydiving, mountain zip line (zip line a valley between mountains/hills), if near the coast go deep sea fishing for sailfish or some good sport fish that will make you work for it and enjoy fighting with them. (it sounds like a lot of work and it is but it does target that guttural receding Cro-Magnon brutish Need to catch something with bare hands :p )

tejayd

Prominent
Mar 11, 2018
In my teens and early 20's I always thought the guy with the metal detector was weird. Now I'm 30 and think it will be a fun thing to do in the future. Like retirement age. We have one at our lake house because of women losing their rings there. And they do work great.

MasterChief86

Honorable
Dec 13, 2016
Music. Get a musical instrument and soon you'll realize you're trapped in there. Unless you pick up a guitar where the learning curve is a little steep. I like trying out new stuff but the thought of failing, again and again, keeps me from excelling in it. If you're more persistent than I am, go for it. It's a wonderful instrument to learn and master. It always sends shivers down my spine whenever I make something work out.

Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro
Feb 25, 2018

Assembling and painting miniatures for table top games is expensive but really fun. It's not super easy, but it's certainly not hard. It's one of those things where it's easy to do if you're just doing it for fun. If you want to produce professional looking minis, then it's pretty tricky. I love it though.

Also, as someone else mentioned...music! Pick yourself up a $200 guitar, get a half-decent PC, download Steam, and buy Rocksmith Remastered (or 2014...I forget how it's listed in the store). The game will teach you how to play guitar, and it has a wide variety of music to play once you get pretty good.

I realize both of these are black holes when it comes to wallets and money, but when my ex left me these two things plus gaming in general kept me sane.

Another free hobby is stargazing. It costs absolutely nothing to go outside and look at the stars. Ok, I guess it would cost something if you want to buy a set of binoculars and a stargazing book or something, but if you don't need binoculars, you can look up information online about it too. Stellarium and Stellarium mobile are great free astronomy resources.

Also, another cheaper one is Pokemon Go, Ingress, or Geocaching. Gets you out and walking and exploring while playing a neat game. There are options out there. You just have to explore and see what's right for you, your time, and budget.

subterminal303

Commendable
Oct 13, 2017
Rock climbing at your local indoor climbing gym. It's amazingly fun and is a good physical workout. A lot of gyms have an auto-belay system that you can rope into so you can do it solo. Otherwise, most gyms have a bulletin board to connect with other people so you can take turn belaying each other. And if you get really into it, you can transition to outdoor climbing.

danjm99

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Cycling. Anyone can start provided you're physically able to ride a bike and there is a large cycling community worldwide. Get yourself a road bike, get a little bit fit and look into road cycling clubs that go out and train together for the day, and stop out for lunch at nice places a while out from where you live.

Cycling provides me with hours and hours of leisure week after week year round and also helps me to meet people and maintain a better social life than previously.

Jan 17, 2019
If you have time you can go to a gym 4-5 days in a week for 1-2 hours. Should help. And probably you will start to feel better, more productive and have more energy :) worked for me.

Jan 17, 2019
Do you play any sports? I love playing badminton or volleyball with random strangers. I get to meet new friends and at the same time live a healthy lifestyle without thinking of bulls.

hanotaink

Prominent
Jan 21, 2019
3D modelling. You only need a decent computer and a desire to learn as there are plenty of tutorials online and the free software is good enough to start off. And later if you're really into it you can learn more about 3D printing and start making some practical things.

Feb 4, 2019
I think that an interesting and useful hobby is to learn how to work in a graphic editor. This is really interesting, time for learning flies very quickly. And it can be useful in any situation, either in editing your own photos, or in creating drawings. Also, it will save your money. I really want to learn, but I don’t have enough time for it.

Last edited:

EdwardGreer

Commendable
Feb 14, 2019
I think that an interesting and useful hobby is to learn how to work in a graphic editor. This is really interesting, time for learning flies very quickly. And it can be useful in any situation, either in editing your own photos, or in creating drawings. Also, it will save your money. I really want to learn, but I don’t have enough time for it.
more like work after work))) LOL

Reactions: Doyle1980
Mar 6, 2019
Others have covered it
But the easiest hobby / sport to get into is walking (if you can walk that is). This can then lead to hiking and seeing many amazing places.
The other thing to do is learn an instrument (guitar etc). But this will involve some $’s.
another hobby / sport I love is cycling, but this will involve even more $$’s and possibly many $$$’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.