Whats a good MMORPG to play?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
EVE online is one of the "F2P" games that you have to pay to do well. Similar to SWTOR.

I highly dislike WoW, for so many reasons it's not even funny. Guild Wars 2 is cool, and has a lot of stuff put together in neat ways, but has a lot of frustrating aspects to it as well - I didn't find it worth the $60. (iNathanLite, it's cool, but it's not a new things for MMO's.)

So far, the only MMO that's kept me enthralled is Dungeons and Dragons Online. It's not what it used to be, since they changed the learning curve WAY down to be new-player friendly, but it's still a fun game that you can get through without paying a cent.

ballerslife

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2013
Runescape. Played it from 2002 till 2012. Great game, had 9500 hours on it (half of it from bottling). Was one of my favorite games, so much variety, great gameplay, quests, you could never get bored. Then, it started to go downhill when they introduced microtramsactions. That's when I quit. Gave my acc to my brother. (It was a valuable account with lots of money.

psychodegu

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Dungeons and Dragons Online, has one of the best business models you get a lot of free content and the only thing you really need to pay for is some hand crafted adventure content. The game has some very good story driven content, mostly done in instance dungeon adventures. It is also one of the games with the best use of traps, sneaking, items and character customization.

cnox

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Check out Age of Wushu. No classes, but 'Schools' that you start in that gives you some core skills, but you can steal skills from ANY other skill, learn them and use them. Decent crafting system too, it's not grindy. Offline leveling too, much like Eve. In fact, very much like eve because econ is completely player driven.

You should check it out. I'd be playing it more if I could!

ynygma

Honorable
May 29, 2012
I would have to go with Guild Wars 2 right now. I stopped playing WoW a few years ago and until Guild Wars 2, I have never found anything as polished:) I have tried others, the most recent being Tera Rising. I love the action aspect of Tera but the story was just uninteresting; it did not immerse me into their world. GW2 does a much better job of that ad it is still a lot more action oriented than WoW which is what I am looking for. Additionally, IMHO, I think GW2 is the most stunning looking MMORPG I have played, especially when you have all the graphics set to max:D

I think GW2 will satiate me for the time being, but I am very interested in the upcoming North American release of Blade & Soul;)

Ynygma

See, I bought a prerelease copy of guild wars 2, because I was expecting it to be the original guildwars, but with more polish and shine.

What it was for me was a disappointment. Even though it 'focuses on exploration,' it still feels like a massive grind - more so because they took out key features (such as multiclassing) that actually made the game interesting. What I want in an MMO is not what WoW offers, i.e. become the best of your class, and powergaming is having the top tier loot on whichever class is OP that update. I want the chance to work within the limits of the game to break it; to create something insanely powerful that's not likely to be nerfed because it's inherent to that one unique combination.

Guild Wars had that, DDO does it wonderfully. What I'd love to see is someone take DDO away from Warner Bros and update the game engine, bugs, and graphics.

Hell, if anyone makes a MMO that's aimed at gamers, I would pay quite a bit of money in a heartbeat. All I'm looking for is three things:
1) Less grind, or at least grind that isn't as grindy [applauding ddo again for the "resurrection" system - you keep your character and loot, but level again as a different class/race/build, with enough quests and playstyles that it keeps it new.]
2) A multiclassing system done well, or no class system at all (provided a LOT of variety of skills) that lets a player create something unique.
3) Graphics designed not only for the lowest common denominator, but for a gaming rig - it should look pretty and run well on a high end rig. [Glaring at WoW, which, up until Mists of Pandaria, could be flat out maxxed on a quad core phenom II and a 9800GT.]

Bigsurprise

Honorable
May 6, 2013

I thought Allods WAS a pay to win game? Someone correct me if I am wrong.

jesot

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2008

I knew what GW2 was from the beginning. I really didn't think they needed to change anything from GW1, just add and improve. Instead, they scrapped a good, original concept into in favor of a WoWlike. The multi-classing and focus on team PvP were fantastic elements... especially in this age of competitive gaming. I can imagine a GW1 with the current Division/League/Tier system from LoL, more dungeons, and a better guild/clan/team system.

I just purchased GW2 a few months ago. It was fun, and possibly the best WoWlike, which isn't a terrible thing. I got distracted and will probably get back to it eventually.

My favorite MMOs of all-time are UO (before Pub16) and Shadowbane. I didn't get to play much Darkfall in its first run (just wasn't gaming at the time). I've played most MMOs of note except EQ2, LoTRO, and DDO (both of which only became "play-worthy" after they went F2P). I currently do not play an MMO.

I'd say the best current MMOs are Eve, Rift, LTRO (my friends that I put stock in rave about it), and GW2. Possibly in that order.

There isn't much out there for F2P since F2P means it either wasn't good enough to get people to play it otherwise and/or microtransactions (aka the devil). LoTRO, Planetside 2, and DDO seem like the only legit options for that way of life.

Status
Not open for further replies.