Handsome Rob

Honorable
May 3, 2012
NIP ASUS P8Z77-V Lk, retails $139.99.

Mounted for an hour, had CPU in socket for even less time. Two slightly bent pins shown below.

Pic of the socket

What's a fair price to sell it for in this state. Have a buyer interested but no offer yet.

Cheers.

Handsome Rob

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Can't RMA bent pins, it's out of warranty.

Spent 5 hours on hold to ASUS to find out bench repair rate is $120 for a socket. Absolutely finished with ASUS, I'll never give them another penny, just want to cut my losses and walk.

chugot9218

Honorable
Yes, 30% of NEWEGG reviews, I guarantee dissatisfied customers are much more likely to post. Also, how is it out of warranty? And why so angry at Asus, if it's out of warranty I am sure they are going to charge a bit of a premium, but can it really be that different from an independent store replacing the socket? Probably would cost about the same.

Handsome Rob

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Try to straighten them out with a mechanical pencil. Since you have nothing to lose you might as well see if you can get something out of it. I have been able to do this in the past.

I don't want to deal with this piece of crap any more. I bought another board, it's up and running, I don't care.

Yes, 30% of NEWEGG reviews, I guarantee dissatisfied customers are much more likely to post. Also, how is it out of warranty? And why so angry at Asus, if it's out of warranty I am sure they are going to charge a bit of a premium, but can it really be that different from an independent store replacing the socket? Probably would cost about the same.

Bad reviews on a product on the egg usually run about 10%, and it's easy spot the operator error. People that are posting about RMA's on the first go aren't screwing it up. It certainly isn't 30% in total but something still smells fishy.

I'm pissed at ASUS for what they put me through on customer support, hours wasted on hold. Being on hold for 40 minutes and being told to leave a message having never talked to a person, basically being hung up on. And doing absolutely nothing to try to resolve the issue. "it's busted, out of warranty, bench rate is 90% of retail cost of the board go to hell". They won't even try to do something, free RMA shipping or whatever. They didn't even say sorry. I've built a half a dozen computers on ASUS boards, never again.

I honestly can't remember the last time I was that distgustapated at the treatment received by a company.

I just want to get rid of the board, I'm sure I could fix it. The bends are practically non-existant, so it ought to command some kind of resale value to somebody that knows what they're going. I'll go home happy if I can get 50%.

chugot9218

Honorable
Do it then, someone will probably swoop it up at 30-50%, and yes, customer service with a lot of companies sucks now-a-days, if you find one with good service, stick with em, I had one of these epic fail experiences with Pioneer (and holy crap, I might have the same problem coming back, if they don't buy me a new one I don't know what I'll do). I was chewing out a tech who was extremely rude, and he just sat on the line silent for about 45 seconds hoping I'd hang up. I sincerely hope no one has to experience their service.

Handsome Rob

Honorable
May 3, 2012
Yep, EVGA has been great to me. Gigabyte too.

Would have bought the Gigabyte board in a second but was OOS.

I'd be fine with if they picked up the phone after 20-30 minutes and, "Oh that sucks that's too bad I'm sorry. You can try to fix it yourself this way or we'll send you a shipping box for RMA at $120 bench rate." I probably would have ate crow and sent it.

But,
Wait on hold for an hour, answering machine leave a message - click. Wait on hold for an hour, answering machine leave a message - click. Wait on hold for another hour - guy answers "Just 30 more seconds okay" - elevator music for 45 minutes - "tough $hit, its out of warranty bench rate is $120 by."

That's beyond suck. I was going to buy a Transformer over the holidays but there is no bloody way now.

So I'm just trying to see if 50% is reasonable, or 40% or whatever.