What's the best boost for my system?

G

Okay, I'm looking to upgrade my system, but only one half of it. It's either a new Processor, going from 500Mhz to 1Ghz or a new graphics card, going from 32MB TNT2 Ultra to GeForce2 Ultra. So my questions is, which one of these is going to best help my system play the latest games?

G

Buy yourself a GeForce2 MX and place the money you saved compared to an ultra into a new duron processor.

G

I agree with Nico...Buy a GeForce 2 MX....
GeForce 2 MX is around $109
While a GeForce Ultra is $345
So you would save a good bit of money if you bought the MX instead of the Ultra. You could then use that money for maybe upgrading something else in your system...what kind of motherboard do you have? Your system specs as is now would be helpful in choosing a course of actions for you.

Prices from www.mwave.com

G

Current system:
AMD K6-2 500
ASUS P5A Socket 7 MOBO
192MB PC100 RAM
32MB Creative Labs TNT2 Ultra

Don't want to spend more than $350

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If he is using a 500MHz processor now, its probably a P3 not a Socket A platform.
Having a GF 256 and then a GF2 GTS and then a GF2 Ultra, I really can't say there is much of a noticable difference other than bragging rights in benchmark discussions. I really don't think it is worth blowing all that coin on a GF2U when you could wait a little bit and get a GF3 for close to the same price.
And a TNT2 isn't exactly bad. So I would have to say, go for the 1GHz processor. This will give you the most performance gain over all, not just game play.

And here is another thought. The cheapest GF2U is about $330 on pricewatch (or at least what I found this morning, I could be wrong). The cheapest P3 is about $230 and a GF2 MX is about $100. You could get the P3 and the GF2MX for about the same price as the GF2U by itself. This way, you could have an overall speed increase and a video card that can play every game out there with no problems what so ever.
:smile:

G

I guess you guys posted at the same time...cause your post don´t agree...Anyway he has a AMD system not a Intel system.

I say go for the Geforce 2 MX but wait until the GeForce 3 hits...because then the price are going to shoot down.

G

Is it worth getting an MX and upgrading my processor, wouldn't I be better just doing the processor and putting the MX cash in the bank?

G

I would say the Graphics card...are you using it mostly for games?

G

Any idea where those benchmarks are located, I'd love to see them?

I think the processor option will be best, after all, the MX is old tech now, and it barely outperforms the TNT2 Ultra from what I remember.

Now, do I go bargain basement or not...hmmm...

G

On sec thought...I was just looking at your board specs...and I would say its about time for a main board and cpu upgrade...and wait on the Graphics card...because it looks like you only have AGP 1x and DMA 33 which greatly limits you as well...I would suggest getting a new main board...weather you get an AMD or Intel board is up to you...but that is my suggest...because from there you can upgrade your other stuff...for instance your memory or your hard drive as well as your graphics card...Which of course I realize you are not intrested in doing right now but buying a new main board and CPU would def. be a step in the right dirrection.

here is the link to his Main board specs if anyone is intressted:
http://www.asus.com/products/Motherboard/Pentium/P5a/spec.html

SLayer

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You're right, both posts say 12:14pm. I didn't see it until now. I really have to say upgrade the processor and motherboard and ram and just keep the TNT2.
Get the A7V133, a Duron (any speed), and 128MB of PC133 Crucial cas2 ram. You can pull this off for under $300.

I think I saw a K6-2 processor once, it was in an antique shop. :wink: