What's the best low resource free antivirus software (in my case)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vortec

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I've been a long time AVG user but I've noticed it slowing my boot up time down recently and some of my applications. I can't necessarily say it just started with AVG 8.0 either. Anyway, I'm currently using the 60 day free trial of Avast Professional and it seems to run much smoother and quicker. I also like the fact that I can disable just about everything related to Avast by a click of the mouse. I usually do this while gaming and since I'm behind a router, I'm not too worried about cutting it completely off for a while. However, I've read that Avast has just an average rating and does not detect many of the things AVG does. I'm still convinced that AVG is the best free antivirus program out there right now but I'm looking for something that's as good as it, but that can be COMPLETELY shut down when I want it to be. Maybe I overlooked that option when I had AVG installed but it always seemed to be running a few background processes. I've looked into Avira but it doesn't seem to have many of the features that other AV programs have. Does anyone know of another good (free) AV program or options in AVG to shut it completely down?

One more thing...I noticed the Avast free edition doesn't allow you to schedule scans which is another feature I really like to have and is the only reason I'm using the pro version right now. Do I really need to worry about a high detection rate for a AV program since I'm behind a router? Thanks in advance.

technology-sponge

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2006
Router will only block SOME hacking attempts, but not viruses, trojans, worms, and other malware.

AVG8.0, Avast! 4.8, Avira are the only worthwhile free and lightweight antivirus applications out there.

As for shutting down an AV completely, i don't know of any product besides ClamWin which will let you do that, as a complete shutdown opens up your PC to threats (and subsequently the AV program itself to attackers). Most will keep 1 or 2 processes alive as a self-defence shield.

There are others -
ClamWin - high false positive rate, no real time/on access scanning, VERY slow to scan
PCTools Antivirus - EXTREMELY slow to scan, and somewhat of a resource hog
+ hundreds of other applications made by smaller companies

Vortec

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm gonna stick with Avast! 4.8 for awhile then. I guess it doesn't shut everything down when I disable it but it seems to shut the majority of the process down - enough for windows to through the "Your computer may be at risk flag" up. I usually only disable it only when playing games and then it's enabled right away thereafter.

G

:REPLY:

Well... I am using Norton Antivirus 2009...
It only uses 20 MB Page File.. so it means that it doesn't consume much system resource...

Oh.. and it also adjusts itself if you are running a large program especially 2.0 Gigabyte Games or Programs...

It decreases itself.. and it also has a friendly interface to make it easier...
and a full system scan only takes at least an hour!!!!!

www.norton.com

G

I have been using avira antivir now for about 6 years free and great I disabled auto updates so never minimises my games and I can right click on the umbrella on the bottom tool bar and disable while im playing games :)

pc cleaner

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
There are plenty of free antivirus software around. You just need to know the right places to look.

You computer will love you more if you maintain it, carefully.

I put together a website that has some software and tools available to help out newbies with optimizing their pc and fixing windows errors and bugs easily.

Check it out if you got the time :)

G

You guys have it all wrong. I spend the majority of my work week removing viruses, rootkits, etc. Try AVG 9.0. After it's optimization scan, I can honestly say it runs at least 50 times faster than 8.5. It's also very user-friendly, and it's rates high. Do a web search for "Wild List", see how the others measure up. I would personally only use 4 programs. AVG, CA, Kaspersky, or Webroot. I have been running AVG for over 3 years, and can't say enough good things. It's a shame they don't advertise.

APangelinan

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I loaded AVG. Only problem is.... for some reason.... Win 7 64 bit doesn't recognize it n my computer and continuously warn me to loadan antivirus software. Tthat got irritating so gettingrid of it and will load avira based on what I've read here. Thanks!

G

bitDefender 2010 is a good one.
Has a gaming mode to disable and reduce resource usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.