What's the BEST motherboard for AMD Athlon Thund.?

G

I'd like to have your feeling about what's the best motherboard for the AMD Athlon Thunderbird... Think also about "overclockability", thermal sensor, fan monitoring speed, compatibility, performance, and all the rest !!

Thanks

Simon Ethier
ICQ 2165570

G

Abit or Asus... probably abit for now. Note that kt133 systems probably won't run at 133/266fsb, despite earlier claims that they would (in their own manuals) limiting upgrade options. The "new" kt133a boards will, though I don't know if they will all support sdram.

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i have nothing against abit or asus, but as far as price/performance/overclockability i would take a look at the epox ep-8kta+

G

where did you see the kt133 ? Is it made by Abit ? what's the link... there's no such motherboard on their site...

Simon Ethier
ICQ 2165570

G

"KT133" is the name of the VIA chipset these boards use. The Asus board is the <b>A7V</b> and the Abit boards are the <b>KT7</b> and <b>KT7-RAID</b>.

Mike

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree that Epox makes a good board. I have a super7 Epox now, but as far as KT133 boards, I'd say the Abit KT7 RAID is the way to go. I will be checking out Epox's DDR offering though when the time comes.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
the KT133 is the chipset most Socket A boards function on. The ASUS Board is called A7V, the ABit is the KT7 and KT7-RAID, and also some other companies have motherboards using the KT133, such as Gigabyte, MSI, Epox, and many others.

G

I'm using the ASUS A7V and its very good... i haven't tried the voltage mod featured on this site though... i also had an abit KT7 this was also good for o/c (has soft fsb increas option) but the bloody capacitators are too close to the cpu!! so stay away from it unless u wanna mod ur board or fan to fit...

G

Ok, just to add another reply.. ASUS for speed or abit for overclocking.. I have the Abit KT7 RAID, and i love it, esp. the RAID function.
My tb 800 is running at 1G now.

acron1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I have the Asus A7V and I love it. Some people say that the Abit boards are better for overclocking but my Tbird 800 is running Win2000 and Seti at optimal setting with memory at 2-2-2 24/7 @1040Mhz for over a week now with
not even a single crash since I updated the bios to 1005a.

G

ABIT KT7 RAID is, although the cost is Expensive.
Please not to try using KT7 but KT7 with RAID.
The compability is better than KT7.