Whats the best motherboard to get for i5 2500k and 2 GTX 560 ti

ninjasushi2

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
.. you do realize half of those boards are micros atx... the other half a re full atx.

I have the MSI Z77AGD65 Full ATX, amazing for over clocking but I'm selling mine to get a Sniper 3 by gigabyte which cost a whole lot more.. *grrrr*

What other specs are you running. From what I gather the i5 is an amazing processor and the K ofc is what you need to OC. For SLI 560 you need at least 2 PCIe 2.0 slots.

Also know that you will not need nor can you make use of a Z77 using a second gen CPU. All Z77 features require IB to power them. E.G. USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, not sure on thunderbolt yet (haven't researched it much). Now most Z77 are preferred for OC due to increased mosfet design, better heat sinks, best north and south bridges but ultimately it's up to your price range first.

So how much is the most you want to spend.
Do you plan on upgrading GPU or CPU in the future and using the same board?
How much memory do you need and how fast?
What special features do you need?

Inform us of stuff like that first.

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
You can use a Z77 board with a Sandy Bridge processor. You just do not get all the advantages of the board. USB 3.0, PCIe 3.0, etc.

This would be a good board.

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/motherboards/intel1155z77chipsetmotherboards/maximus5gene.html?#utm_source=affiliatewindow&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=VigLink+Inc

It comes with a lot of features.

Now if you would spend a few dollars more get a 3570k processor. I have 1 and its a great overclocker. Just need to invest in a quality CPU cooler.

As for Video cards. Have you considered doing say just a single GTX 680 over 2 560's? You get about the same performance and if you get PCIe 3.0 board its a monster. Plus it will use a lot less power.