[SOLVED] What's the best paid Antivirus/security software for windows 8.1?

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Was previously using Norton 360, but it's no longer offered from Xfinity/Comcast, purchased a retail subscription of Norton but returned as it wouldn't activate without a credit card.

In this day and age Windows built in anti-virus "windows defender" is plenty fine on its own. I haven't used any third-party anti-virus for years and haven't gotten a virus with normal browsing. I even tested windows defender with known malicious software and it picked it up pretty quickly. The only downside is that unlike other anti-virus software windows defender user interface isn't as in-depth. But it's worth it not having to deal with norton or avast or sophos chugging away my system resources at random times or when I'm moving well known trusted files.

Though if you really want a third-party anti-virus, bitdefender, sophos, norton, avast, and malwarebytes are good options. Avoid McAfee. They had a recent scandal of reporting false viruses to get people to pay for technical support. Another reason why I don't use third-party.

shafe88

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
In this day and age Windows built in anti-virus "windows defender" is plenty fine on its own. I haven't used any third-party anti-virus for years and haven't gotten a virus with normal browsing. I even tested windows defender with known malicious software and it picked it up pretty quickly. The only downside is that unlike other anti-virus software windows defender user interface isn't as in-depth. But it's worth it not having to deal with norton or avast or sophos chugging away my system resources at random times or when I'm moving well known trusted files.

Though if you really want a third-party anti-virus, bitdefender, sophos, norton, avast, and malwarebytes are good options. Avoid McAfee. They had a recent scandal of reporting false viruses to get people to pay for technical support. Another reason why I don't use third-party.
Already got the free version of Malwarebytes installed. Norton is a no go since it requires a credit card to activate, and Bitdefender was my next choice but someone suggested it wasn't safe and that I should avoid it.

Already got the free version of Malwarebytes installed. Norton is a no go since it requires a credit card to activate, and Bitdefender was my next choice but someone suggested it wasn't safe and that I should avoid it.

Then I'd just stick with malwarebytes. You're likely not at much risk from viruses with those free software running, especially if you're just browsing youtube, checking your email or simply checking out various other "normal" sites.