[SOLVED] What's the best video card for an ASRock 970A-G/3.1 ATX board?

Dec 2, 2019
My New build is going to be:
ASrock 970A-G/3.1
AMD- FD6350FRHKBOX/@3.9 GHz
4x4GB-Patriot DDR3:pE00279-PX34G1600C11
Crucial CTMX500SSD4 500GB M.2 2280
Ultra LSP650-650W ATX PSU
WD- WD10EZEX 1.0Tb
I was looking at this card: XFX RX-590P8DFD6 Radeon Rx 590 Fatboy 8GB OC+ 1580MHz DDR5 3xDP HDMI DVI Graphic Card, but I am not sure if it would work OK? Any/all advise appreciated!

Solution
I would definitely replace the 6350 with the 8350 if you game. 8 integer units are better than 6 for gaming, especially if you game multiplayer.

I did a little more research on the Ultra LSP650. It's not as bad as I originally thought. Strong 64 amp/680W +12V Rail, as per the nameplate anyway. So if it is still new, there's no urgency to replace it after all. It should handle the FX-8350 and the RX 590 (also have that GPU in mine, but not the Fat Boy. Although I had a Fat Boy for awhile)

16GB 1600Mhz RAM is fine, although the FX-8350 memory controller is fine with 1866 MHz if you think its worth the change. Probably wouldn't notice the difference in gaming; maybe in benchmarks. The FX 8350 will slightly bottleneck the RX 590...

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Not the best PSU, but that aside...
I happen to have that same board with a FX-8350. For some reason mine does not allow any AMD card to run at the board's full PCIe 2.0 specs. It stays at 1.1. So I hesitate to suggest an AMD card unless the issue is just with my board only.

The FX 6300 is not a very strong CPU. So unless you don't care about wasted performance bottleneck when using a strong gfx card, I would probably get the new GTX 1650 or maybe even the GTX 1650 Super. Should get you good fps at 1080p or the ability to use the best settings. But probably not both at the same time... depending on the game.

Dec 2, 2019
Thanks clutchc for the reply, I do have an FX- 8350 around that I can use if you think it would be that much better? So what flavor PSU do ya think I need?? The 650 although not the top of the line, it is just one I had laying around (still brand new) for a backup (spare) in case one died on me. And please elaborate on what you think I need to get good fps and high game settings with what I am working with so far, cus I don't like to be disappointed because I cheeped out on something that I could have spent a few more dollars to be happier with the end results! I was also thinking about my RAM, and pretty sure I need something better, again it's just four sticks I have laying around, what would you recommend? And I do appreciate the help, Thanks!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I would definitely replace the 6350 with the 8350 if you game. 8 integer units are better than 6 for gaming, especially if you game multiplayer.

I did a little more research on the Ultra LSP650. It's not as bad as I originally thought. Strong 64 amp/680W +12V Rail, as per the nameplate anyway. So if it is still new, there's no urgency to replace it after all. It should handle the FX-8350 and the RX 590 (also have that GPU in mine, but not the Fat Boy. Although I had a Fat Boy for awhile)

16GB 1600Mhz RAM is fine, although the FX-8350 memory controller is fine with 1866 MHz if you think its worth the change. Probably wouldn't notice the difference in gaming; maybe in benchmarks. The FX 8350 will slightly bottleneck the RX 590 in some games, but I always prefer more GPU than necessary (for those games that are more GPU-limited than CPU) I'm not a competitive gamer. I much prefer the eye candy over the extra fps.

If I've missed any questions you have, let me know. Btw, what case is this going to be in? The RX 590 and FX-8350 need plenty of air flow to keep cool. Another coincidence; that's the same size M.2 that mine had in it, but an Intel 660p instead.

Last edited:
Solution