What's the deal with MS05-002 (KB891711.EXE) and Windows 98?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

No! I'll do my best to protect you, though, soon as I return from
Saskatchewan!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
| Anita Bryant?
|
| PCR wrote:
| > COLORADO, RUN! There is an MSFT on the prowl, going by the name of
| > Bryant!
| >

| > --
| > Thanks or Good Luck,
| > There may be humor in this post, and,
| > Naturally, you will not sue,
| > should things get worse after this,
| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "Bill in Co." <someone@earthlink.net> wrote in message
....snip

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.setup,microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.win98.performance,microsoft.public.win98.internet.windows_update (More info?)

> IE 5.5 SP2 does work (that's what I've been using). However, whether or
> not "browseui" and "browselc" changed between IE 5.5, IE 5.5 SP1, and IE 5.5
> SP2, I don't know for sure, but if I were a betting man, I would guess at
> least one of them did.
>
> Well let's see, I notice the file dates on those two files are 12/03 and
> 7/01, respectively (in my particular case), so presumably the "browseui" one
> was upgraded a tad with SP2.

I think the browselc.dll file has stayed the same for all versions of IE 5.5.
The browseui.dll file has been modified by recent security updates, the latest one being MS05-014. The version of browseui.dll from that patch is 5.50.4948.700.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user) wrote:
>>Rick Chauvin wrote:

[....]

>>> I vote to get it fixed properly though so that those two dll's are
>>> inclusive of all Numerous Updates that are Missing if swapped

> If I had resources to fix this (as one presumes MS has) I'd do this:
> - get documentation on what's changed in those two .DLL
> - any crucial exploits that depend on those files to fix?
> - determine most recent .DLL that work via the fix (IE 5.5 SP2?)

...any version of those dll's from 5.5 worked just fine, it was the first
release of IE6 and absolutely irregardless of what others think, even SP1
still has the same exact problem. About the dll's though and mostlikely it
is them, but just because swapping the dll's do appear on the surface to
eliminate the problem does not mean 100% it is the dll's that's the issue in
the first place - it could be other things closely related. In circuit
troubleshooting and no doubt it's the same with software, I've seen time and
time again where you think it may be one component causing a problem where in
the end it may end up have been another down the line causing the
malfunction. Always had to keep an open mind.

> - FC these against the IE 6 ones that don't work
> - see if what FC finds can be mapped to particular functions
> - if offset dependencies allow:
> - paste across functions from IE 6 to old until old breaks
> - paste across functions from old to IE 6 until IE 6 works
> - zoom in and disassemble the problemetic function
> - see if a logic error etc. can be found
> - fix the function and issue fixed .DLLs as on-request hotfix
> - after testing, issue as downloadable hotfix, then WinUpate

Okay, sounds good to me :) Who's the programmer at MS that has the know how
and access to do this?

Chris, would you do me a favor, there is the other thread in this group that
has two conversations going on within it, if you want to please read it and
reply to your other fellow MVP's as to any pertinent facts that you can help
let them know there is a problem, because as it stands surprisingly to me
they do not think there is a problem at all and that it was already fixed -
which I am baffled at why they think that.
Please look for this header: