[SOLVED] whats the difference between WD black and a barracuda? ssd/hdd hybrid

thunderlord

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
whats the difference between WD black and a barracuda? ssd/hdd hybrid witch 1 is used more and better over all when it comes to part life span and all.
im looking to get ether the 4tb or the 6tb cost far to much to go to a pure SSD for this size thats something im going to have to wait on and only get a 2tb ($200+) later on as me drive for games that ask for this in the dis. (and skyrim and mods later down)

side note i had WD blue and it seemed (felt) alot slower then the WD black, and the blue nd it died on me in months the old WD blacks im using lasted me 10+ years (2012)

Solution
According to a website:

WD Blue

• Transfer Speed: Up to 175 MB/s
  • Cache: 32/64 MB
WD Black

• Transfer Speed: Up to 218 MB/s
  • Cache: 64/128 MB
WD Red

• Transfer Speed: Up to 178 MB/s
  • Cache: 16/64/128 MB
WD Purple

Looks like Barracuda is between blue and black in terms of transfer speed at 210 mb/s. Cache size 64MB

As far as lifespan goes for SSD's that depends on how much you write to it. But roughly they'll last maybe ~10 years, give or take. I'd hedge my bets on a hard drive dying sooner than a SSD from my personal experiences but it can be a mixed bag in the...

Furzumz

Reputable
According to a website:

WD Blue

• Transfer Speed: Up to 175 MB/s
  • Cache: 32/64 MB
WD Black

• Transfer Speed: Up to 218 MB/s
WD Red

• Cache: 16/64/128 MB
WD Purple

Looks like Barracuda is between blue and black in terms of transfer speed at 210 mb/s. Cache size 64MB

As far as lifespan goes for SSD's that depends on how much you write to it. But roughly they'll last maybe ~10 years, give or take. I'd hedge my bets on a hard drive dying sooner than a SSD from my personal experiences but it can be a mixed bag in the end

I would suggest slapping windows (or what ever OS you're using) on a SSD, even if its not that big on storage and then go hard drives for the rest of your storage. I've been doing that for my games and it seems to work out great. Windows is quick along with some of the programs I put on the SSD and I just store the big stuff on my mechanical drives

Solution

TRENDING THREADS