What's the Difference ....... ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RoJ

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
"the Santa Cruz has a rich, full sound"....yeah, and so does my toilet when I flush it."

Well that explains much, specifically the location of your head - the toilet bowl.

No I don't sell Turtle beach. I just don't go in for overpriced mediocrity - hence my ditching of the Creative Labs garbage and my purchase of the Turtle Beach. Of course, I don't expect a juvenile to appreciate good sound, especially when he's actively engaged in flushing himself... (repeatedly)

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
wow, touchy huh.

I made no derogatory statements to you personally and I think you should refrain from doing so as well.

Regarding good sound, neither Creative nor Turtle Beach manufacture what I would consider to be a high quality sound card, both are over priced and offer average sound at best.

RoJ

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
I merely returned in kind what I received in the first place - if you don't like to get it, don't give it.

Now, regarding sound cards, the Santa Cruz is the limit of what I would consider spending for a sound card, especially given its functionality. While I am aware of offerings from MidiMan and other companies that will eclipse the Santa Cruz in various categories, **none** of them will eclipse that card overall because of their inherent weaknesses in a variety of other areas. As far as a good all-round card goes, there is none better IMO.

Additionally, as far as price / performance / value goes, I consider the entire Live! line a bust. We won't even touch on Creative Lab's concept of "techncial support".

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I think you need to seek professional assistance for your personality disorder.

I have never once said anything about Creative being better than Turtle Beach and I would not assume to place myself in the role of "Grand Authority" and make such a moronic series of statements as you have.

Yes, fine, you are the final word. Turtle Beach is the best, period. Do Not Dispute Me! I Am Roj, And I Know All!

RoJ

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Hey, you came off as pompous and acerbic from your first reply to my post and I gave you back in kind.

If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

As to "Grand Authority", I simply speak from the basis of my personal experiences; YMMV.

Finally, re: "moronic" - feel free to examine a mirror at any time.

Roj

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Yes, once again, you know all.

I no longer have an interest in this dialogue.

Do yourself a favor, save your anger and your judgements for your schoolmates, I have no interest in petty personal attacks.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I have a feeling you are the one who will be leaving, seeing how this is the only thread you ever post in.

Feel free to e-mail me if there is anything to your bullsh*t taunts punk.

RoJ

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Typical of a little man: resort to profanity when incapable of defending his viewpoint any other way.

Somehow I'm not surprized.

Nor am I surprized that you can't read either - there are a couple other sound threads that I've participated in here.

And no I can't bring myself to e-mail you - it would be a waste of time. So far I haven't seen one technically constructive post from you, let alone one descriptive of a product and what it's capable of. This started off when I provided both.

All I've seen from you here is hot air and overblown rhetoric.

Again, a big surprize.

Roj

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Your post's speak for themselves, very few, very worthless, ok, fine, you like Turtle Beach, we get it already.

I will not even bother addressing your simple minded attempt to demean me.

NOW LOOK PUNK........NO ONE HERE WANTS TO WASTE ANY MORE SPACE ON THIS GARBAGE, EITHER DEAL WITH ME LIKE A MAN OR SHUT THE [-peep-] UP!

RoJ

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
There's nothing worthwhile there to deal with, either from an opinion-based or technical point of view, primarily because you simply haven't tendered one.

You are right on one issue though - this *is* a thorough waste of my time and the board's space. The opinions expressed elsewhere in the thread have made interesting reading though, despite your shrill histrionics.

As such, this is my final word to you on this and any other issue - from your general comportment and this last outburst it's pretty obvious that you're not someone worth taking seriously.

Roj

Strife

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The live value only has standard connectors for front and rear speakers and not the spdif connector needed for 5.1 speakers or a reciever. It also lacks the expansion slot needed to add a live drive.

All the cards with 5.1 in the name use the exact same hardware. Only the bundled applications and games are different.

So if you don't need games or a remote you can get the 5.1 OEM for $66

RoJ

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Actually all the Live! cards are the same, with or without the 5.1 name. As you correctly stated, the only difference is the addition of an SP/DIF connector on models above the Value but the circuitry supporting it is already on the Value card. Also of note is the fact that the 5.1 functionality is a software feature - there is no AC3 decoder on the cards.

HellDiver

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
"The gold does little but stop corosion"
Mmmm... Hardly. Not only does gold have negligable oxidation rate (compared to your regular copper/aluminium/steel), it also is an excellent conductor. BOTH contribute greatly to clean signal.

"The insertion loss and return loss on these connectors don't see any difference in the plating"
Hardly. Just try measuring insertion loss and SWR with quality vector network analyzer on a cheap APC-7, and on a gold plated one. You'll even see the diffs on a scalar NA...

True enough, you'll see the interesting stuff up high in GHzs, but we're talking APC-7s here! On a regular RCAs that kicks in their operational range. Given the rest of the system involved (for an SB Live! user that is), however, (the rest of connectors, cabling, amplifiers, speakers) that would have 0 effect.

When you go up into $15k price ranges for speakers, as someone mentioned here, that does show.

As for 60W vs 2000W. I'm real sorry to mention, but despite you testing/making connectors, you seem to be a bit weak in electronics. 60W aplifiers are RMS. 2000W crap is PMPO. Do the math and cry.

No offence, man, right?

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
RE:
"When you go up into $15k price ranges for speakers, as someone mentioned here, that does show"

Those $15,000 speakers would most surely not be plugged into a S/B card.

That is what this thread was supposed to be about, the differences between the two S/B live cards, it then degenerated into a dispute over the differences between the two interfaces. color coded 5.1 series and non color coded pre 5.1

Do you have any information specific to that?

HellDiver

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2001
amdchuck:
"Those $15,000 speakers would most surely not be plugged into a S/B card"

My previous paragraph stated :
"Given the rest of the system involved (for an SB Live! user that is)...<snip>...that would have 0 effect.
When you go up into $15k price ranges for speakers...<snip>"

I thought that it was obvious that going into $15k price ranges for speakers would clearly imply going for the rest of system components appropriate... :) Then again, in such systems I believe no one would even try to mount any crappy connectors anyway. But if one would - you'd hear the difference, if you'd have ears worth spending $15k to please... :)

And yes, you're right, the discussion veered a bit OT, but I just thought some corrections to JoeHeads statements were on order to put things back in proper perspective.

As for SVLive! series of cards, unfortunately I'm seeking advise on that issue too - that's how I ended up reading the thread in the first place. :)

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
Understood, was not meaning to sound rude, apologize if you got that impression.

It seems as though a lot of the differences in gold plating on the outside or visible portion of the female jacks would be specific to RCA jacks as the visible portion of the female jack actually is a conducting component. However on the mini-jacks (not sure of the technical term for that) the visible portion of the female jack is not part of the interface, therefore gold or gold colored plating would have no impact.

I believe that is the crux of the argument, this is not an RCA interface therefore taking into account the difference between various grades of RCA jacks is really not an accurate way to compare different forms of mini jacks.

Is this correct?