Question What's the USB C connector used for in a case?

wesweberjr

Commendable
Apr 23, 2019
I'm trying to decide on a case and the info states whether they have a USB-C connector. I was thinking of an internal connector for some purpose inside of the case, like for the RGB stuff. But it occured to my that they're talking about just an external connector on the front of the case for external devices. That wouldn't be a decision factor for me on what case to buy.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
3 places for connectors. Case front, mobo internal, mobo rear. So if the case is advertising. C, it's on the front. Might be faster for accessing photos etc when connecting new cellphones that use C instead of the older micro USB connection that required adapter/cable with a USB A connection. But mostly it's tech that's in place on pc's now, that's yet to catch up to most electronics because USB 2/3/micro is still so prevelent.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Hrumph. Forgot that a few gpus are tossing that in. Dunno exactly why, DisplayPort works just fine and I'm not about to use a gpu powered USB C to play a game on my smartphone.

Edit. Oh, it's for the 0.1% who use a single cable connection for VR.

Evidently Thunderbolt 3 Alternate Mode is reputed to stream DP 1.2 | DP 1.4 video over USB-C, so I would hazard a guess that we're talking about data rates that approach the 40Gb/s TB3 limits.

In the end, it probably just means that we have another video connector form factor to amuse ourselves with, but one that doesn't care which way you connect it. Since I tend to reach-around and connect cables blindly at times, I suppose my fingers will be happier in the future.

Newer laptops use the USB C port for dock/video/network connections. I have a large stack of failed docking stations, bad cables and failed USB C ports I have worked on LOL The number of systems I see that failed on the port connection with the old style video or dock connections is maybe 1/10th of that.

USB C may be able to do a lot of things, but it's not a good idea to actually use it for everything, especially for things that require a lot of plugging in and out.

Good point...I think that the last specification I saw on USB-C port connector hardware quoted connect-disconnect cycle lifetime at something around 4K. Which is fine for a video arrangement that you set-up and forget, but nowhere near the durability you would need for constant mobile needs.

(Which is why I use these on my phone handset.)