Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
D

Deleted member 217926

Nope missed that. Looted the vault twice too. :lol:

Also found the basement with the weighted companion cube and other Easter eggs. The detail in the whole game is amazing.

imrazor

Distinguished

That's the thing...it doesn't seem to have a proper ending. A lot of reviewers on Steam have been complaining that they suddenly got the end credits when they were expecting much more story. I'm not sure if they'll finish the narrative in some of the DLC, or release a sequel in a year or so. In any event, it seems like my best option is to wait for the final DLC and buy the GOTY/Ultimate/Whatever edition on sale. I don't like paying for an incomplete story/game.

flyguy747

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
I usually don't buy games right when they come out just because I don't have time to game that much, but I recently played Tomb Raider and really enjoyed it.

Happy new year, everyone.

I'm still playing through MGS V. I'm so glad I decided to give this game another go. The gameplay is just amazing. I'm 50 hours in and I've finished the first chapter. I'm hearing the next one is kinda dull and repetitive but I'm gonna keep playing anyway. I'm having a lot of fun. There's a ton of ways to handle your enemies. Nine times out of ten I go by the stealth approach. My plan A is always stealth. I rarely reload to the last checkpoint if I get spotted. I just go into plan B and just shoot off all my enemies.

Till Chapter 1 the game has just been so good. I'm hoping the next section of the game is not as bad as everyone says it is. Performance wise it's been completely stable. I don't recall having a single hiccup in frame rates even during intense scenes or combat. It's always stable.

Chapter 2 isn't bad. There are a couple of repeat missions at higher difficulty(which is actually good). The problem is that there isn't a Chapter 3. And you will have to play some side missions to unlock the last mission in the storyline.

I'm oaky with that. I play a lot of side ops and I like them. I just did the first two of the repeat missions. It wasn't bad. I guess I'm okay with playing repeats as long as I don't use the same tactics I did the first time around. Otherwise, it'd be boring.

Also to understand the ending you need to at-least read up on what happens in MG 1-2 and MGS 1-4, especially Metal Gear 1 and 2. It basically justifies a plot in MG2.

D

Deleted member 217926

Happy New Years guys!

I need to pick up the MGS series. I don't believe I've played any of them.

MGS 5 is the only entry that is open world among the series though. All the others are linear. And only MGS1 and 2 have actual ports on PC. You can play MGS3 and PW with an emulator though. MGS4 is strictly PS3.

So yeah, it's all over the place. You could just watch a video on youtube to get a summary of the story till 'The Phantom Pain'. I really recommend knowing a little bit about the lore and characters before you decide to play through MGS 5.

Have a happy new year.
my favorites are definitely Metal Gear & Metal Gear 2. plenty of emulators for android & windows if you wanted to check them out.

Lol yeah. This isn't the first thread I've been in on that has spanned this long. I think I'd been on a thread that had 260 pages of posts, but it was over the course of 2 years.
This one has been around for 3 years. Wow, so I guess maybe this is the longest I've been on a thread.

Been playing Mafia III a little while now, and can't believe they didn't even include texture settings for the PC version. That said, I stumbled upon the Nyclix Reshade 5.1 mod, and now the game looks amazing. Colors are no longer washed out, no putrid sepia tone, textures are sharper, and more importantly, I've found I can run most settings on Low, except Ambient Occlusion and Geometry Detail at Medium, and it still looks very good.

The only noticeable difference on Low settings is reflections off the water when you're driving a boat don't look very distinct, and character shadow shapes are very vague. It's not that big a deal though, especially since it allows lag free driving on the road, which is where the performance tanks most with certain settings put higher. Plus character shadows are only noticeably bad when the light source is above them.

Gameplay wise, it's better than I'd heard in reviews. Yeah it's a bit repetitious, but has a very well detailed game world, and enough mission variety to keep things interesting. The sound track is also very good. It's one of the few games I can tolerate leaving the music on, and that's rare for me in games with lots of driving.

Nyclix Mafia III Reshade 5.1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD8VukHFTvU

Install Procedure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnRybaYPqM

^Note that the latest 5.1 comes with an HDR file in it you can install. I used that instead of the one in 5.0 mentioned in the above instructions, because honestly, I couldn't find a download for it anyway. The one in 5.1 looks very good too.

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
Is anyone on this thread or forum a fan of any type of vehicle simulation? I feel like I'm the only one on this entire forum who's actually interested in that.

By the way, to me the best current simulators out there are Assetto Corsa(racing, mostly street cars) and Eurotruck and American Truck Simulator(both by the same company, truck simulators).

Rafael Mestdag

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014

Hey there, I'd like to know if my PC can handle Mafia III because last time I tried I got an error message as soon as I double-clicked the executable. I had patched it with patch number 2 or something, I don't know if I had to patch it with number one first. The one I patched Mafia II with was 3.5GB so I assumed it would be all it needed.

I also tried running the game without any patches, still got the error message. What could it be?

My Rig:

Windows 7 64 Ultimate
Gigabyte mini ATX motherboard
AMD FX6300
GTX 460 1GB GDDR5
8GB DDR3 Ram
500W Generic PSU

D

Deleted member 217926

Are you running the game through Steam? It should auto update.

You don't meet the minimum requirements for Mafia III. Minimum is an i5 2500K or FX 8120 and a GTX 660 or HD 7870.

You could get away with that FX 6300. That GTX 460 1GB was an amazing card 7 years ago. I had an EVGA Superclocked version and I kept it almost 3 years. I can't remember ever keeping a card longer. However for more modern games the 1GB of VRAM just isn't enough. Not enough to even start some games.

You could upgrade to a GTX 1050 Ti even an RX 470. I'd probably do the power supply as well but honestly the GTX 460 is probably using more power than either of those cards would.

Yeah the 460 is really going to make it a deal breaker. I can run mostly max settings with my 7970, but it ends up causing too much lag while driving.