Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 110 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
True, true. Nothing beats that "Oh SH!T" feeling you got
(way back when it 1st came out) the 1st time you saw the Licker on the outside of the window and then crawling along the wall/ceiling as you first entered that hallway...
Good times..
LOL, yeah Lickers are a real pain. I can take a whole 20 min trying to think of the tasks I need to get done to collect everything I want, what order to do them in, and re-familiarize myself with the map and routes I want to take, just to avoid those damn things if I can. Then sometimes they'll still wander a bit or make that creepy sound and send my heart racing! :eek:

mcdoogan

Commendable
Oct 26, 2018
Just picked up "GTFO". Possibly one of the most intense co-op games I have ever played. Shame it's only early release but I am having a ton of fun dying over and over in it lol

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
LOL, yeah Lickers are a real pain. I can take a whole 20 min trying to think of the tasks I need to get done to collect everything I want, what order to do them in, and re-familiarize myself with the map and routes I want to take, just to avoid those damn things if I can. Then sometimes they'll still wander a bit or make that creepy sound and send my heart racing! :eek:

You're worried about avoiding those, but not....
Mr. X??? Talk about creepy sounds (his footsteps) and your heart racing....

You're worried about avoiding those, but not....
Mr. X??? Talk about creepy sounds (his footsteps) and your heart racing....
At first, yeah, but I found Mr X can be duped pretty easily. I now even duck under his arm as he's coming through doors of rooms I'm in. The Lickers are much harder to avoid attacks. While it's true that X is always relentlessly after you, you can also easily hear where he is, and he's not hard to evade. It just takes knowing the map well, and how to get past him when need be.

Last edited:

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
The Lickers are much harder to avoid attacks.

Yea I've basically just accepted the fact that I'm probably gonna get hit when I encounter a Licker, the range on their tongue (or whatever) attack is RIDICULOUSLY long so I guess to me it's not quite as harrowing of an encounter now that I've accepted it lol

WildCard999

Titan
Just picked up "GTFO". Possibly one of the most intense co-op games I have ever played. Shame it's only early release but I am having a ton of fun dying over and over in it lol
Just saw that on Steam today, looks intense, in a good way. Interesting it’s being developed but a small new company of 8 people and from what they’ve said there dedicating a lot of time into really fine tuning it which is nice to hear nowadays.

RE2 remake was a superb game. I could only play it in small sessions everyday because I'd get tense otherwise. Pretty much how I handle most horror games. Hearing the Mr. X soundtrack suddenly jump in before I even see him was always a heart racing moment. For my Claire B run, I modded it with the 'X gon' give it to ya' song so it was pretty funny hearing it.
Very much anxious for RE3's remake. Can't wait to play that one.
I just realized that this game could have a first person perspective. OMG, that is gonna be super scary!

Since I last posted, I have beaten Control. Took me close to 14 hours. Curious to know that it was IGN's GOTY. It's a decent game but not GOTY material in my opinion. The story felt just okay for me, nothing huge. Gameplay and environments were where it was all at. The powers the game bestows upon you as you progress are really neat. Telekinesis is super essential and I'd recommend anyone playing this game to max it's upgrades out.
The weapon types you unlock later into the game are also quite nice. I was a little bummed out with the starting 'pistol' type because it was pretty underwhelming. My favorite was the machine pistol because of obvious reasons. My eyes really hurt (due to color choices they've used) during the climax of the game so I'm just giving out a warning to others.

On the PS4 side, I had bought the Heavy Rain & Beyond two souls collection. I played and finished Heavy Rain and found it to be quite engaging. It is pretty much a QTE game but it had a neat story and several possibilities on how it could've ended. I was really glad to have gotten a good ending for it. Once I beat it and checked online, I saw how close I got to getting bad endings and that made me feel really lucky.
I've yet to try Beyond two souls.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 217926

I really like Xenforo for the most part but this thread keeps untracking for some reason. That's the second time.

Played Dying Light again. Got to love that the devs keep updating that game even for the single player campaign. I sure hope Dying Light 2 is as good.

Just passed 300 hours on Battletech. I think I got my money's worth out of that one. Half that's with the Battletech Advanced 3062 mod and I was just about to start the RogueTech Project B mod when the last base game DLC, Heavy Metal was released. So I'm playing vanilla again.

Also playing This War of Mine again. They just released another and I believe final free update for the game and added a bit of new content.

I still haven't jumped on the Epic Games bandwagon but that's getting hard. Mechwarrior 5 may make me finally do it. Parts of the game look terrible but the mech combat is amazing!

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
I really like Xenforo for the most part but this thread keeps untracking for some reason. That's the second time.

Played Dying Light again. Got to love that the devs keep updating that game even for the single player campaign. I sure hope Dying Light 2 is as good.

Just passed 300 hours on Battletech. I think I got my money's worth out of that one. Half that's with the Battletech Advanced 3062 mod and I was just about to start the RogueTech Project B mod when the last base game DLC, Heavy Metal was released. So I'm playing vanilla again.

Also playing This War of Mine again. They just released another and I believe final free update for the game and added a bit of new content.

I still haven't jumped on the Epic Games bandwagon but that's getting hard. Mechwarrior 5 may make me finally do it. Parts of the game look terrible but the mech combat is amazing!

I fully agree with Dying Light & the expansion. The SP campaign was really fun in my own opinion as was just running around. Great stress reliever. (Didn't have any friends that liked the Dead Island / Dying Light franchise so never played online)

I tried This War Of Mine but I couldn't get into it. I did hear it was great tho.

I honestly don't get the whole Epic issue. For me personally, having another launcher was no big deal. I know for some it is, but... (The fact that Epic was giving out free games all this year didn't hurt my feelings any either! :) )

I absolutely love POE, but this last expansion left me wanting. So I went back to standard.

Still playing Jedi Fallen Order, now on Jedi Grand Master, which is the hardest mode. This will likely be my final play through after having beaten it on Jedi Knight and Jedi Master.

I'm nearly 2/3 way through this run and so far the only real tough part has been defeating the Rabid Jotaz and on the arena battle it took 2 tries this time instead of 1. It was mostly because I tried to rush through the part where they throw a Jotaz and Spider at you at the same time. The ending with the Haxion Brood was as easy as it was last 2 play throughs though.

Of course the last 1/3 of the game is...
where all the tough boss battles come (Ninth Sister, Gorgara, Malicos, 2nd Sister)
...so I'm now finishing up my skill farming to prepare. There's also a tough little spot on Dathomir on the way to a stim canister that involves the final Legendary Beast, the Alpha Nydak, and a swarm of Deceased Nightsisters.

The voice acting, story, and dialog in this game are top notch. By far I think the best voice acting in the game is done by Elizabeth Grullon voicing the 2nd Sister. The funny thing is, she seems new to voice overs, as I can only find that one role in info about it. Honorary mention here goes to the incredible Ben Burtt for BD-1 though. He really breaths life into that little droid, and it definitely feels like one of the main characters because of it.

It's been a great game to play really, and for me, it's tied with Gears 5 for best game of 2019. The only negatives are that it frequently hitches in places, and a lot of the rewards for exploring are just uninteresting cosmetics. Normally I blame any excessive hitching of a game made with Unreal Engine on the engine's inability to load assets smoothly. This you can tell by the fact that the hitching always happens in the same spots, where said assets are loaded.

While that is often the case with UE, The Coalition managed to pull off GoW 4 and Gears 5 with hardly any hitching compared to Jedi Fallen Order, so a lot of it seems to be how much the team knows about the engine and how to get the most out of it performance wise. As you may recall, Irrational Games, despite being one of the better dev teams out there at the time, also failed to make Bioshock Infinite without lots of hitching using UE.

Last edited:

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

I haven't played Dying Light since the halloween "events", I need to jump back in and complete the single player, I was really enjoying it

I had a bit of a weird experience with Dying Light though... when I first started playing (only like a few months ago), all zombies were EXTREMELY sensitive to my movement & sound, and even making my way from house to house was really difficult as I had to sneak everywhere without making any noise, and if I would fire a gun, forget about it, I'd have a dozen of them running at me from all over and I'd have to run away and find a hiding spot, killing just enough to drop the "warning level" or shed the awareness of the horde of zombies that had been chasing me.

This might sound like a complaint, but just the opposite: it was VERY fun, engaging and immersive. Then, not long after that, and not long before the start of the Halloween events/quests/whatever (or maybe it coincided with the start of Halloween, I don't know for sure), all zombies are now, for the most part, very complacent and I can just run past almost all of them, stopping to kill some here and there, and just continue on jogging around without them even turning to follow me most of the time??? There are exceptions, such as at night, with those uber hunter zombie things, but during the day I basically just walk (literally walk) around doing whatever I please without even getting attacked. I did a complete reformat/OS install a month or so back and haven't downloaded the game again so I haven't really looked in to this phenomenon at all, and from what I remember there wasn't any sort of difficulty setting, but I could be wrong

D

Deleted member 217926

They had a special event right before the Halloween special event where there was a HUGE amount of extra virals ( fast zombies ) and you got rewards for killing certain numbers of them. Left4Dead crossover I think it was? I bet you started playing during that.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
They had a special event right before the Halloween special event where there was a HUGE amount of extra virals ( fast zombies ) and you got rewards for killing certain numbers of them. Left4Dead crossover I think it was? I bet you started playing during that.

That makes sense... those fast day time zombies that can dodge your attacks and stuff, they must have just been everywhere. I must've just mistaken that for the regular gameplay and when it was over I'm like: "Why are they all stoned and docile now?" lol

D

Deleted member 217926

Any Battletech fans, the latest version of the Battletech Advanced 3062 mod now allows for multiple lances to drop at once and it looks like they may have revamped the missions to make them harder with more enemies and even random allies that you aren't tasked with keeping alive. Just started again yesterday but it's great so far.

That makes sense... those fast day time zombies that can dodge your attacks and stuff, they must have just been everywhere. I must've just mistaken that for the regular gameplay and when it was over I'm like: "Why are they all stoned and docile now?" lol

They're actually having a Christmas event right now. Something to do with chivalry and knights. I haven't played in a few weeks but it's still installed. I need to check it out.

Oh and I'm sure you all saw the Winter Steam sale started.

started a new character and finally played through The Outer Worlds. finished every quest with only 1 in the "botched" list towards the endgame due to killing an NPC instead of finishing their dirty work. about 53hrs of playtime not counting reloading saves. pretty good length compared to a lot of modern games.
i can say it's the best game experience i've had through 2019 for sure. i really don't get what a lot of the complaints were about the shooter aspect of the game, i had as good a time with the combat as almost any other RPG-type game i've played. really enjoyed most, if not all of the gameplay and story-lines.
one thing i might complain about is the lack of armor customization. there's a few different sets and a few different colors but considering trying to boost certain stats with armor pieces there's not much option to really personalize and define yourself. not that you really get to see your character very often anyway. i did notice that being AFK for a few minutes the camera starts hovering/spinning above you where you get a pretty decent 3rd person aspect of the game. i'm really surprised no one has discovered a way to create a 3rd person camera MOD for the game or the developers haven't updated with a camera scroll out option.

have just started Disco Elysium this week. i really like the art style and the characters and dialogue are great but the lack of keybinding options is ruining it for me. it will probably just take me a bit more time than usual to get through it because i get tired of holding down the tab key after a short time. would love to bind the "hints" key to one of my many mouse buttons.

really thinking about getting Red Dead Redemption 2 for myself for xmas and spending my gaming time there in the old west for a while.

@Frag Maniac, please use spoiler tags. I just read through your post mentioning the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order bosses at the end of the game. Kinda spoiled it for me....
I'm playing through the game too at Jedi Master (first playthrough) and I had just reached...
...the arena. I finished off the bosses on the third try. Went back to Zeffo to look for Tarfful.
I've learned the game's combat by now and I find it a bit clunky at times. I wish Cal had more reach when swinging the lightsaber. Also I wish we didn't have to use up the force meter when using the alternate overhead strike. The hitboxes are a bit of a hit or miss, pun intended.
Still a very fun game to play around though! I'm really thankful for this because it's kind of what I hoped for over the more lore oriented story telling of the Souls series.

I had also been playing Halo: Reach and had finished it a couple of days ago. Very nice entry in terms of story for the MCC collection. I have played the original Halo: Combat Evolved many years ago so I was a fan of the series. Very much looking forward to the next set of games.

I have also started Splinter Cell: Blacklist again after many years. This game had been in my backlog for quite a while now. I hope to finish this one this time around. I think I may have reached half way through the game before getting onto more recent ones at the time.

Sorry Gman, I guess I thought it wasn't too spoily because in most games the tougher bosses come in the latter parts, but I DID mention their names and probably shouldn't have. I've edited it, my bad for doing it too late.

Last edited:

sc2lines

Great
Dec 13, 2019
Just getting back into Hard Reset Redux........ Sweet little gem from Flying Wild Hog!.....Also Quake 2 RTX....Sweet! Make it stop! Make it stop!!😬😬

Merry Christmas all

I got an itch to replay the Mass Effect series. i think playing The Outer Worlds just opened up an appetite for sci-fi RPG. was weary of reinstalling ME1 and finding the graphics and gameplay a bit too out of date. but after playing Knights of the Old Republic II earlier this year I figured it couldn't be much worse, and more than likely better. going through the same process of sorting through lots of MOD discussions and Nexus pages I found some amazing game updates\upgrades through Modding. I was very much surprised in the end result after A LOT of texture, model, video & gameplay MODs. some of the facial expressions and some of the close up scenery are still a bit dated but >80% of the game would now compare to or even best a lot of more modern releases. is still an awesome game.
don't know if it'll hold my attention through all 4 games but i always loved the entire Mass Effect series.

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
@JohnBonhamsGhost, Merry Christmas! It's amazing to see continued fan support for mods for some of these older games. I was thinking of getting back in Fallout: NV and was pleasantly surprised by the Win10 support on Nexus.

I'm waiting for some extra money on Friday but has anyone bought anything they think is worthwhile on Steam's Winter sale?

I've gone back to playing Metro Exodus, this time on Hardcore. I'm definitely enjoying it more this time. The game is definitely pretty linear in a lot of parts, as it will script in sand storms and darkness in certain spots, which can be a pain with Humanimals popping up everywhere. It definitely delivers on shock value though, even the 2nd play through. I have to say I was a lot better at dealing with the spiders when getting the map from the archives building this time though. Last time they had me running around like a chicken with my head cut off, losing my bearings in the process.

Somehow the game seems more beautiful this time around too, but it's no doubt due to Nvidia's new Sharpen filter, and my having bumped gamma down a notch this time, which adds more richness to the color palette in deserts, and makes the HDR of the sun really pop. I am doing far better on stealth this time, getting through a lot of segments with just knockouts. I have to say though, there are places where the AI are very poorly scripted, especially when stealing the tugboat at night. A couple times I knocked out enemies that should have easily been seen by another standing nearby facing him.

There are also a lot of places where enemies will no clip into walls, crates when knocking them out. So the game definitely lacks polish in some ways. Overall it's still a good survival horror experience though. I'm still not convinced the sandbox design adds any value to the trepidation, but it does offer more beauty and exploration. I just got to crazy land dealing with the zealots at Taiga. Won't be long before I meet up with that nasty bear.