Discussion What's your favourite video game you've been playing?

Page 139 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
Left 4 Dead 2 still going strong after over fourteen hundred hours, looking forward to test drive solar crown, 1:1 scale of Hong Kong should be a blast to drive around in.
Such a shame Back 4 Blood wasn't the L4D "3" we were hoping it would be.

L4D2 is simply amazing and fun. Not to mention you get all the levels of the first game for free. It's fun solo but even more fun with friends.

Reactions: artk2219

woot

Distinguished
Such a shame Back 4 Blood wasn't the L4D "3" we were hoping it would be.

L4D2 is simply amazing and fun. Not to mention you get all the levels of the first game for free. It's fun solo but even more fun with friends.
i never played back 4 blood, but judging by what i hear people say about, the games fails mostly due to that the maps are short and the game is cluttered with rougelite elements, i know for a fact that l4d2 players gravitate to large challenging maps and like the game for its polish and simplicity, players just want to kill zombies, not to collect cards, Valve does have trouble counting to 3.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Left 4 Dead 2 still going strong after over fourteen hundred hours, looking forward to test drive solar crown, 1:1 scale of Hong Kong should be a blast to drive around in.

I have never played left for dead, neither Left 4 dead 2, I seen some nurses play it when I was in the hospital, hahh they where playing on the local net, maybe internet while all the patients where trying to sneak a peak of their gameplay on the office pc.

I'd also like to see test drive solar crown, if it ever comes out, sure hope it is decently playable if it ever does come out.

Oh, my latest favorite game is: NFS Most Wanted Black Edition, you know the old one from way back when was it, say 2005 I think, great game, great driving, great music, epic cop chases and escapes. My version does have some flaws, It randomly crashes just when your just about to get away to easy with some epic cop chase escape, but it's a minor nuisance at best, could be seen as the game trying to deter the player from progressing through the game at an acceptable rate, other than that game runs beautifully, I'd say If you ever get your hands on a copy, give it a go, you might also find yourself aiming to be at the top of the Blacklist! without getting busted a single time...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
NFS most wanted (2005ish) is by far the best game in the series. i have enjoyed most of them, but that one i have gone back to time and time again. makes me want to get another xbox 360 just so i can play it again on a console :)

Reactions: iTRiP

woot

Distinguished
I'd also like to see test drive solar crown, if it ever comes out, sure hope it is decently playable if it ever does come out.
they said 2024, but it's been listed as 'coming soon' on steam for a long time now, after watching some trailers and gameplay videos i am disappointed in a few things i noticed, like how the AI cars behave, they don't lean during turns, like they are on rails or something, looks oddly similar to the previous test drive unlimited games, also i found out the there will not be houses in the game, all players will spawn from a central hub.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
they said 2024, but it's been listed as 'coming soon' on steam for a long time now, after watching some trailers and gameplay videos i am disappointed in a few things i noticed, like how the AI cars behave, they don't lean during turns, like they are on rails or something, looks oddly similar to the previous test drive unlimited games, also i found out the there will not be houses in the game, all players will spawn from a central hub.
Anyhow, if there is anything in the pipeline, I'd rather not know until I ever get to play it and just go with what they had come up with, best way to go I'd say, I know people are having a blast talking about everything game related and I sure let them but for me I'd see it if I'd get it, what I always say to myself.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Thats that then, 100% NFS Most Wanted Black Edition, like I said above ,great game, besides having a blast playing it, I managed to complete the game with only 5 times busted, not my best, since I remember that that play was 0 times busted, by far the most wanted play ever, anyway this was my latest favorite game on the pc platform lately, also I think it took me 5 days from start to finish.

Off to find some again...

Dec 29, 2023
Well, in my recent gaming adventure, I had the pleasure of trying out "It Takes Two," a cooperative adventure game developed by Hazelight Studios. This game is renowned for its unique cooperative mechanics and captivating storyline, which provided my gaming partner and me with a period filled with challenges and enjoyment. Additionally, I found the visuals and sound effects of the game to be outstanding. Each scene is crafted with vibrant colors, brimming with detail and surprises. The music is perfectly fitting, adding a sense of mystery and emotional resonance to the game.

finished the latest version of Cyberpunk 2077 & Phantom Liberty sometime towards the end of 2023.
while still an awesome game, i really like the pre-2.0 gameplay and options a lot more.
Phantom Liberty added some pretty cool stuff to the story, but not all of the new side gigs that i had hoped for.

ended up really starting Red Dead Redemption 2 for the first time.
been ~4 months now and just a bit over 50% finished with the main story with the majority of available Legendary hunts completed.
the scenery is definitely beautiful, a lot of the gameplay is really fun, characters are usually pretty funny to interact with whether main NPCs or just random nobodies, and a lot of the story is well written enough to keep me wanting to come back when i have time.
but, it is very easy to tell that this game was never actually meant for keyboard/mouse control. the way the item wheels interaction works, the terrible keybinding options with Rockstar embedded actions that can't be changed. usually with games like this with stubborn keybinds there would be multiple mods available to help customize, but for some reason Rockstar has made these impossible to add\change. i've accustomed myself to most of it, but still get a bit annoyed here & there.
since i'm still in the early 50% i guess there's still quite a bit of story to go though it seems to be picking up steam the further i get along.

planning on finally getting fully into Starfield after this, but who knows what may come out or just come up again and steal my attention by then.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
finished the latest version of Cyberpunk 2077 & Phantom Liberty sometime towards the end of 2023.
while still an awesome game, i really like the pre-2.0 gameplay and options a lot more.
Phantom Liberty added some pretty cool stuff to the story, but not all of the new side gigs that i had hoped for.

ended up really starting Red Dead Redemption 2 for the first time.
been ~4 months now and just a bit over 50% finished with the main story with the majority of available Legendary hunts completed.
the scenery is definitely beautiful, a lot of the gameplay is really fun, characters are usually pretty funny to interact with whether main NPCs or just random nobodies, and a lot of the story is well written enough to keep me wanting to come back when i have time.
but, it is very easy to tell that this game was never actually meant for keyboard/mouse control. the way the item wheels interaction works, the terrible keybinding options with Rockstar embedded actions that can't be changed. usually with games like this with stubborn keybinds there would be multiple mods available to help customize, but for some reason Rockstar has made these impossible to add\change. i've accustomed myself to most of it, but still get a bit annoyed here & there.
since i'm still in the early 50% i guess there's still quite a bit of story to go though it seems to be picking up steam the further i get along.

planning on finally getting fully into Starfield after this, but who knows what may come out or just come up again and steal my attention by then.
Sounds like your on the right path, Surely some awesome gaming you're into currently, even more so if it's your first time around in any of those mentioned above games, ahha I remember my first time playing RDR2 on the pc, stumbling around like I was fresh from the year 2020 time traveled right in the middle of the year 1899...Then hitting it up in CB2077... like this is my time to hit the big time playing as V in the year 2077!

Lots of things to figure out to make one's play more the way you would like to have it, with those three games, considering that Starfield had some edge until you figure that part out.

Anyway, last fav game I was playing was Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars single player mode, or story mode whatever it's called, then after that I went back to my completed career mode of NFS:MW and set out to 100% the RAP sheet... damn That's some intense gaming, but I really love that kind of thing, best thing I managed so far once again is the one of the big ones: getting away with a 30min+ chase, places the player right at the top of the leaderboard rankings for longest chase escape...Besides that I always thought that that could only be done once the career had been made 100% first. Just a thought!

View: https://imgur.com/a/7syAHux

Last edited:

Kalnon

Reputable
Dec 27, 2019
There's three thing's I've been into lately:

1. I would have to say Anno 1800 is one of my most favorite game's of all time and one I still play often. I take a break once in a while to play some other things but I always end up coming back to it. I own most of the content for the game (most bought on sale) which really helps with keeping my interest for it. There really is nothing else quite like it when it comes to the city building genre. Say what you want about Ubisoft, they really nailed it when they made Anno 1800 and they make plenty of other fantastic games.

2. I've been rediscovering the games of my youth as well as lots of other classic games since I recently decided to finally try GOG. What finally got me to try it is the GOG Daggerfall Unity Cut which is the original Elder Scrolls Daggerfall prepackaged with all of the best mods made for it including the Unity Engine rebuild.

I found out about it after checking out the Steam reviews for Daggerfall and someone mention to get the GOG version and why. I am having an absolute blast playing this game as an open world rpg fan. I love old games just as much as new ones so the old school jank of games and old graphics doesn't bother me much. Now I have 28 games and counting in my GOG library :)

3. I'm truly passionate about is flight simulation. I've been using civil flight simulators and combat flight simulators sice CFS3 and FS9 (FS2004). In fact, the majority of my free time goes to flight simulation. I've used and I own most realistic flight simulators made since about 2002. It is something I never get tired of. I even have the full hardware setup. I have good quality yoke, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant and a HOTAS, etc..

Reactions: iTRiP
Mar 23, 2024
Did they ever go through with a new Alone in the Dark? I'd also like to find a version of 1 and 3 more easily played on a modern PC.

Even with a walkthrough, I never managed to beat 2. 4 had a good cheat code.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
What game have you been playing recently? How did you find the experience of playing said game?

Any games you looking forward to? Why are you looking at those games?

Lately I've been playing Transistor which is pretty amazing - I would give it GOTY for the refreshing gameplay experience. I played some Always Sometimes Monsters which was pretty terrible to be perfectly honest - it felt like a horrible cheap shot RPG that punishes every choice you make unrealistically. I've just started to play Divinity and like every other RPG I haven't got my head around to how it works yet.

Right now I have my eyes set on Dragon Age: Inquisition - it's made by EA, so I'll be buying it after release ;). Star Citizen looks pretty cool, but I'm not particularly interested in space sims - just the potential to advance PC graphics sounds amazing. I will very likely buy Sims 4 -> just for character creation (I'm a girl, after all). I haven't played Assassin's Creed, but the latest installment looks pretty neat with the co-op aspect.

How about the rest of you?
Doom.. LoL Not a gamer except for ancient games. Not wasting 1/2 of life playing games. Get out and get some exercise. :)

Reactions: Kalnon

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Just returned to my playthrough of NFS: Shift Unleashed 2 on the pc, had to figure out that I needed to reinstall the compatible version of NVidia Physx to make the game playable and function again without any errors.

This is a great game, really enjoyed playing it as it ought to have been, really lets you put yourself to the test going through all these events and coming out on top if that's ever possible, well this time it was and it's a blast.

Oh, forgot to mention, I played cockpit view this time around, normally in car games I play chase view or 3rd person view... but since it was one of the selling features of this NFS, thought I'd give it a shot... and I thought it was great, well implemented game feature.

I was also playing manual transmission, with the keyboard and mouse as my input method on the pc.

And usually I mention how long it took me when I post something about my current favorite game, but for this game I got no idea, all I remember doing was starting out and playing strait through up until about 70%, at that point I about had enough racing for one stretch, As I said above, then one day I installed another game that removed the Nvidia Physx that this game uses to run, I only realized that when I opened this NFS again remembering that I had not finished it, thus the installation of NFS: SU 2 was still present on my pc and my save intact, Nvidia Physx reinstalled, before that the game was constantly crashing to the desktop, that's how this game ended up being my favorite game again, well it's finished now as you can see in my screenshot above!

I'm of to go find something other again...
View: https://imgur.com/a/r9xOlod

Last edited:

miogpsrocks

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
For PC: I like Warcraft2, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Overwatch/Overwatch 2, Diablo 2, Orcs must die,

Stanley parable is sort of like " the office" the video game which is interested to play a few times.

For Console I like: Street Fighter 2, Various Mortal Kombat games, Various Mario bro games, Streets of rage and TMNT

I've been enjoying playing Marvel's Midnight Suns. The combat is very satisfying, planning the assault and watching the heroes deliver the smackdowns. The story isn't terrible also the only part of the game I don't much care for is the gathering/exploring the grounds.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Just about managed to complete RDR2 again, then I thought why don't I stick with Rockstar Games, so got into GTA V pc story mode again, this time I played the alternate heists to what I usually do, even found some missions that I don't usually come across... splendid gaming time!

Anyway that's what my favorites are now, since I just reformatted my PC again, installed a fresh Windows 11 Home 64bit Edition.

After I made my pc properly setup for gaming again, I thought why don't I leave the AMD control panel scanned games enabled this time and see how things pan out, and this is my current result:

View: https://imgur.com/a/ubKCF9m

Obviously I hadn't properly configured all games to run Excellent or Optimal yet on my hardware at this point, just the games that can be seen to have had some playtime since my fresh installation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kalnon and artk2219
Mar 31, 2024
I recently wrapped up Dishonored 2, played it for the first time, the art is so damn good it brings you tears of joy.

Started Death of the Outsider, and got a few other titles lined up on GOG. I also quite liked Control, it got me curious about Alan Wake. When I'll find the time to play though is a mystery.

artk2219

Distinguished
i never played back 4 blood, but judging by what i hear people say about, the games fails mostly due to that the maps are short and the game is cluttered with rougelite elements, i know for a fact that l4d2 players gravitate to large challenging maps and like the game for its polish and simplicity, players just want to kill zombies, not to collect cards, Valve does have trouble counting to 3.
Having no more than 2 tries to clear a map is what did it for me. If you fail within 2 tries you don't go back to the beginning of the chapter that you're in, you fail the whole thing and have to start all 4 chapters from the beginning all over again with none of the gear and mods you picked up. The card elements should also have been a game mode, and not a required "feature". I really wanted to like Back4blood, but it was just a bit broken, and the developer was really set in their ways on how they wanted the game to be played. I've actually been playing a lot of L4D2 recently as well hah. I've also been finishing up my first playthrough of Spec Ops: The Line, that game has made me feel gross in a way that no game has in a while.