Discussion What's your most favorite GAMING GENRE ? **General game Discussion thread**

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Rumor alert.

It appears that Rockstar Games may finally release the first Red Dead Redemption game on the PC platform. According to dataminer Tez2, Rockstar has updated its launcher site file with the following information.

An update in the studio’s launcher site contains a very specific reference to Red Dead Redemption on PC.

Rockstar has added promotional text behind the scenes that paves the way for the announcement of RDR coming to PC. Given that these moves are now being made at Rockstar, it implies that the formal reveal of this PC port could come about as soon as this week.

View: https://twitter.com/TezFunz2/status/1790031522315026508

View: https://twitter.com/TezFunz2/status/1790038268630663441

On some other news, Capcom may also be working on a remake of the first Resident Evil game on the REX Engine. According to industry insider, DanielRPK, this is indeed a project that Capcom has greenlit and is currently working on.

From a business perspective, it makes sense to remake the first Resident Evil game. Both Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 4 Remake were commercial successes. So, a remake of the first RE game on the REX Engine makes sense.

This is being claimed by two leakers, including entertainment reporter Daniel Richtman.

On his Patreon page, Richtman backs up the claims being made by Twitter user @PRE_Alarabiya, which states that Resident Evil 1 Remake is in the works now, scheduled for 2026.

The leak originates from @PRE_Alarabiya, or Resident Evil Philosophers, the account for a community of Arab Resident Evil fans. Here, they make a range of claims about upcoming Resident Evil projects, including that Capcom is set to go right back to the beginning of the series for its next remake, not forward.

Richtman's statement on the matter is brief, writing on his Patreon: "I also hear a Resident Evil 1 remake is in development."

View: https://twitter.com/PRE_Alarabiya/status/1788584359856836847

Last edited:
Rumor alert.

It appears that Rockstar Games may finally release the first Red Dead Redemption game on the PC platform. According to dataminer Tez2, Rockstar has updated its launcher site file with the following information.

An update in the studio’s launcher site contains a very specific reference to Red Dead Redemption on PC.

Rockstar has added promotional text behind the scenes that paves the way for the announcement of RDR coming to PC. Given that these moves are now being made at Rockstar, it implies that the formal reveal of this PC port could come about as soon as this week.

View: https://twitter.com/TezFunz2/status/1790031522315026508

View: https://twitter.com/TezFunz2/status/1790038268630663441

On some other news, Capcom may also be working on a remake of the first Resident Evil game on the REX Engine. According to industry insider, DanielRPK, this is indeed a project that Capcom has greenlit and is currently working on.

From a business perspective, it makes sense to remake the first Resident Evil game. Both Resident Evil 2 Remake and Resident Evil 4 Remake were commercial successes. So, a remake of the first RE game on the REX Engine makes sense.

This is being claimed by two leakers, including entertainment reporter Daniel Richtman.

On his Patreon page, Richtman backs up the claims being made by Twitter user @PRE_Alarabiya, which states that Resident Evil 1 Remake is in the works now, scheduled for 2026.

The leak originates from @PRE_Alarabiya, or Resident Evil Philosophers, the account for a community of Arab Resident Evil fans. Here, they make a range of claims about upcoming Resident Evil projects, including that Capcom is set to go right back to the beginning of the series for its next remake, not forward.

Richtman's statement on the matter is brief, writing on his Patreon: "I also hear a Resident Evil 1 remake is in development."

View: https://twitter.com/PRE_Alarabiya/status/1788584359856836847
Any word MM on whether that RDR port is just a straight port, remaster, or remake? I would preferably hope it's at the very least a remaster.

I started playing Mad Max last night, just to see how it would look on max settings at 4K 120Hz. Well I found out it doesn't play well at anything over 60Hz, because it introduces bugs like invisible vehicles. Was weird seeing the bad guys floating along the road in a driving pose with no vehicle showing. LOL

The game looks great at 4K and max settings though, and it's even got me hoping Avalanche will make another game off this franchise, or maybe even off the spin off Fury Road franchise, which is doing quite well in theaters, and Furiosa will release soon.

However currently Avalanche are still working on Contraband, said to be their most ambitious project yet. It's a coop based heist game in yet again an open world featuring their Apex engine. I don't normally like coop or heist games, but this one's got me intrigued. If we can't play solo with bots though, it's a bust for me.

Any word MM on whether that RDR port is just a straight port, remaster, or remake? I would preferably hope it's at the very least a remaster.

Yeah, most likely a proper PC port, just like RDR2, so that the modding community can again get a chance to tweak/mod this game. With a native PC port, modders will be able to overhaul it.

But nothing is officially confirmed though, so we can only speculate on this. It's hard to guess Rockstar’s and Take-Two’s PC strategy though. They might even throw us a remake and call it a day.

Last edited:
Racing just went old-school !?? :grinning:

Frozen Lake Games, a solo gaming studio, has announced Old School Rally; a new rally racing game that has 32-bit RETRO graphics.

Old School Rally will immediately remind you of the classic Colin McRae Rally game that came out on PC and PlayStation in 1998.

Frozen Lake Games plans to release Old School Rally in 2024, although there is no exact release date yet. The game will first hit Early Access, and it will remain there for 6-10 months.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y1Abnys_Q0&t=67s

Last edited:
Reactions: 35below0
Well, nobody expected this to ever happen !

Not me at least. VALVE, gaming community's respected game developer has fully jumped on the Multiplayer/BR bandwagon it seems. Forget about getting another Half Life title, or any other Single Player game for that matter.

Though the prospect of getting another Half Life sequel has just been a fanciful "reverie" ! Long buried in oblivion.

Anyway, according to "Gabe Follower", a CS data miner/insider, Valve’s upcoming game will be called Deadlock. According to the leaker, Deadlock will be a competitive 6v6 third-person hero-based shooter. :rolleyes:

In this game, players will battle on a huge map with 4 lanes. Deadlock appears to have similar art style to Fortnite and Overwatch. The game will be also using a third-person perspective.

Deadlock is basically described as a mix of Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, Valorant, Smite and Orcs Must Die.

Now I’m certain that Valve may create a game that can hook a lot of PC players. There is a reason DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike 2 are so successful and highly popular.

However, this isn’t a game that can suit my palette. I only prefer single-player games. To surmise, we would be getting another multiplayer "cash cow".

Don't get me wrong though. I have nothing against MP/Online or Battle Royale games, but seeing VALVE jump on this bandwagon is kind of disappointing. But I can understand why this is happening.

'de rigueur' of the gaming community more like !

View: https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791110448114188557

View: https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791115270905290793

MVDyB2x.png

SwRCgrT.png

i6vTq2L.png

w3AG6Pu.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, nobody expected this to ever happen !

Not me at least. VALVE, gaming community's respected game developer has fully jumped on the Multiplayer/BR bandwagon it seems. Forget about getting another Half Life title, or any other Single Player game for that matter.

Though the prospect of getting another Half Life sequel has just been a fanciful "reverie" ! Long buried in oblivion.

Anyway, according to "Gabe Follower", a CS data miner/insider, Valve’s upcoming game will be called Deadlock. According to the leaker, Deadlock will be a competitive 6v6 third-person hero-based shooter. :rolleyes:

In this game, players will battle on a huge map with 4 lanes. Deadlock appears to have similar art style to Fortnite and Overwatch. The game will be also using a third-person perspective.

Deadlock is basically described as a mix of Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch, Valorant, Smite and Orcs Must Die.

Now I’m certain that Valve may create a game that can hook a lot of PC players. There is a reason DOTA 2, Team Fortress 2 and Counter-Strike 2 are so successful and highly popular. However, this isn’t a game that can suit my palette. I only prefer single-player games.

To surmise, we would be getting another multiplayer "cash cow".

Don't get me wrong though. I have nothing against MP/Online or Battle Royale games, but seeing VALVE jump on this bandwagon is kind of disappointing. But I can understand why this is happening.

'de rigueur' of the gaming community more like !

View: https://x.com/gabefollower/status/1791115270905290793

MVDyB2x.png

SwRCgrT.png

i6vTq2L.png

w3AG6Pu.jpeg

Yeah, I SO gave up on Valve making or continuing anymore SP content LONG ago. They have shown too many times all they're interested in is the money. So that they're catering to the Fortnite crowd now is not at all surprising.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2 will be released in a few days and Microsoft has shared some new screenshots for it.

Microsoft will release Hellblade 2 on May 21st. The game will be powered by Unreal Engine 5, and it will take advantage of both Nanite and Lumen.

Hellblade 2 will also support both NVIDIA DLSS 3 and AMD FSR 3.0 at launch. And, since it will be using Lumen, you’ll need upscalers in order to hit high framerates. After all, Lumen is basically a Ray Tracing solution.

In Hellblade 2, Senua returns in a brutal journey of survival through the myth and torment of Viking Iceland. In the sequel, Senua will face a battle of overcoming the darkness within and without.

Players will be able to experience the world through Senua’s eyes and ears, as a Celtic warrior who experiences psychosis. Moreover, the game will have a brutal and visceral combat system, that seems similar to the one used in the first title.

Hellblade-2-Final-PC-Requirements.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-1.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-2.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-9.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-3.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-4.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-5.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-6.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-7.jpg

Hellblade-2-new-screenshots-8.jpg

Hey ! Remember the original Delta Force PC game series, which redefined the tactical FPS genre ?

Well, it appears we might get a reboot of this franchise in the form of Delta Force: Hawk Ops. https://www.playdeltaforce.com/en/

TiMi Studio and Level Infinite have released a new in-engine teaser trailer for Delta Force: Hawk Ops. This teaser trailer shows off some of the game’s environments.

And yes, this appears to be a remaster/remake. Delta Force: Hawk Ops will launch with three game modes. These modes are Hazard Operations, Havoc Warfare and Black Hawk Down.

The first two are multiplayer modes, whereas "Black Hawk Down" is the single-player campaign part. There is currently no ETA on when this new Delta Force game will come out though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kl-Hgelwc9s&t=3s

Colif

Win 11 Master
Hellblade 2 will also support both NVIDIA DLSS 3 and AMD FSR 3.0 at launch. And, since it will be using Lumen, you’ll need upscalers in order to hit high framerates. After all, Lumen is basically a Ray Tracing solution.
5 hour long walking simulator. Looks nice, shame games need to be more than just that.

Meanwhile, Atari just bought Intellivision. May not mean much now but 50 years ago it would have been a big deal

5 hour long walking simulator. Looks nice, shame games need to be more than just that.

Yeah, it's a very short game. Not for my gaming taste though, since I never player the previous entry as well. I hate walking sims though.

To me the game just looks like a graphical showcase of what Unreal Engine 5 can do, with 'Lumen' and 'Nanite' tech. Apart from this, the game devs seem to have focused more heavily on the narrative and immersion, so it isn't too surprising that the game is this short.

6-7 hours max !

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
its a great tech demo. I might even load it myself since its on Game Pass.

But just to look at it, not interested in playing it. More to see what my GPU can do... very few games I play really test it.

Someone I know played the first game and from his description, all I can see is they made it look better. If you played the first one, its not going to ask you to do anything new.

5 hours game play, 3 hours of which are cut scenes... first 40 minutes of game is spent just moving forward. No combat... very little in actual game.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I thought the trend of walking simulators had ended a few years ago... now my conclusion is they just got better graphics engines and take longer to build the environments you walk through.

I can see a place for walking simulators if tied to VR goggles as you could have a walk through a valley and see all sorts of creatures. This isn't a game though, its more an experience. I guess its more profitable to hide these among real games and have people promote all the other aspects of it as being fun, as more people will buy it then. Dishonest though.

changed thread into discussion as really, there is no right answer to this question :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
it has puzzles in it but a lot of those aren't hard, just tedious.

One reminds me of Diablo 4 in a way... you have to collect items and put them into a container to open a door. That is exactly how some dungeons in Diablo 4 work, need to collect items from rooms to open a door... difference is in Diablo 4 you have to kill things along the way just to collect items, whereas in Hell blade 2, you just have to move things around to access the items. It just takes time, no chance of actually dying. And well, in DIablo 4 the door leads to a boss fight... in hell blade it probably just lets you keep walking.

Game could be longer if you don't use the jog feature and just walk... that only adds time to experience though.

Well. Finally rumors laid to rest !

Sony has just announced that God of War: Ragnarok will be officially released on PC on September 19th. To celebrate this announcement, the publisher shared a new PC trailer that you can find below.

PC version will support NVIDIA DLSS 3.7, AMD FSR 3.1 and Intel XeSS 1.3. It will also have support for ultra-wide PC monitors. However, there won’t be any support for Ray Tracing.

The not so good news is that the game will require a PSN account in order to play it on the PC, unless I'm mistaken. You can clearly see on the Steam store page, Sony has listed PlayStation Network as a requirement.

FWIW, the first God of War game did not require a PSN account. So, those who live in a country that does not support PSN will not be able to continue their journey. And since this is a single-player game.

There is no reason at all to force PSN in a single-player game, if this is indeed true.

Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Nice trailer and the graphics looks amazing as well ! Check this out on YT.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVaKztSoJM

Last edited:
Well I'd forgotten I already had registered an account with Sony Entertainment Network, and that same login I found also gives me access to PSN. I'm not sure I like them forcing us to have such an account just to play a PC game offline though. On the other hand, if it means them not using Denuvo, it may work out for the best. MS has done the same with requiring login to the MS Store with titles like Gears of War, so it's not exactly new.

Normally I don't have problems with Denuvo, but in games where it isn't implemented well, it can cause performance issues, and it's happened even with experienced devs. Denuvo is also damned expensive these days, so that frees up money to spend on polishing before release. I DO feel for those who live in the blocked countries though.

I'm also psyched that there's FINALLY a Silent Hill offering that looks good to me. And it's not just the graphics quality, but the animations. I never have liked games that have slow enemies and slow clunky player movement, and that is what their past titles look like to me. This one looks like it could literally keep you on your toes.

Reactions: stonecarver
Here comes another leak. The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered confirmed for the PC platform.

According to industry insider, Billbil-kun, The Last of Us Part 2 Remastered will be coming to PC. In fact, the PC version of this game has been in the works since 2021, and it’s been ready since November 2023.

The game might release alongside the second season of the TV series in 2025. Hopefully confirmation of the PC port comes later this year. So the next PS game after GOW:Ragnarok may be TLOUP 2.

The development on the port started in 2021 and has been completed since "at least" November 2023. It's currently unknown why Sony is refraining from announcing the PC port, especially since 2024 marks four years since the game's launch on PlayStation.

PlayStation already released the remaster of The Last of Us Part 2 earlier this year exclusively on PS5.

https://www.dealabs.com/magazine/mais-quand-sortira-la-version-pc-de-the-last-of-us-part-ii-52283

View: https://x.com/billbil_kun/status/1798305767889711131