Question WHEA 17 and black screen

Deco22

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2017
Hello guys,

Recently I’ve been getting random WHEA 17 errors on my pc and my screens will go black until rebooting. It seems to be very inconsistent and I haven’t found a way to reproduce it yet.

The error in event viewer points to pcie root port 460D which in device manager appears to be the top pci port because it just has my GPU and its audio controller under it. I have seen online that disabling pci ASPM and native power management in the BIOS may fix it, but unfortunately I tried that after the first time this happened and it has happened again today, so doesn’t seem to fix it for me.

My specs:
i9-12900ks (-0.05v V/f curve offset)
Asus maximus z690 hero
MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X
Corsair HX1000i
32gb Teamgroup T-Force Delta 6200

I’m using Windows 11

I’m really not sure where to start figuring this one out, I’ve been getting random WHEAs in event viewer for a while now (for different PCIe root ports) but none have ever caused any problems like this, just the error itself.

Any help is appreciated:)

Aug 26, 2023
The video card is probably not the root cause, since it's a PCI-e slot error. However if you have another I would try it, just to be sure.

Always make sure the card is aligned correctly.

Lastly, you might try reinstalling your PCI-e drivers. If none of that works get back to me.

Start simple and we'll get deeper when that doesn't work.

Cheers.

Deco22

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2017
The video card is probably not the root cause, since it's a PCI-e slot error. However if you have another I would try it, just to be sure.

Lastly, you might try reinstalling your PCI-e drivers. If none of that works get back to me.

Cheers.
Thanks for the quick reply :)

I was thinking the same thing, especially since I have been getting random PCI-e Root port errors here and there. I've just tried re-seating the GPU and making sure the slot is free of dust etc. All of my drivers are already up to date, but I might try a re-install just to be sure.

Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to update you if anything happens, although the errors have been about a week apart, so it might be a little while :LOL:

Deco22

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2017

Cheers.
Hey, as I expected, over a month later the same thing just happened. Screens all went black and GPU fans went to 100%, same WHEA error after rebooting the PC. I don't understand why this is so inconsistent and how to even troubleshoot it at this point.