[SOLVED] When a 2080TI is too expensive what card to get?

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Hey

So i recently got a whole new computer there is already a whole thread from me getting help with a better cooler than that abomination called the wraith prism.

This is what is in this PC now

MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI, socket AM4 moederbord
Corsair 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit werkgeheugen
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (Gigabyte)
Samsung 970 EVO, 1 TB SSD
Seagate IronWolf, 4 TB Harde schijf
be quiet! Power Zone 850W voeding
Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit software
Fractal Design Meshify C tower-behuizing
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X socket AM4 processor

The Wraith prism cooler was replaced with a noctua NH-D15 (only one fan because the ram is in the way)

I use a IIyama black hawk 27 inch monitor (PL2788H (1920x1080@60Hz) and as a second monitor a really old (HP L2245w (1680x1050@59Hz) monitor.

So if anyone sees another great weakness other than my poor choice of brands to combine let me know but the weakest thing for gaming right now seems to be my RTX 2060 super
I already spent a lot of money on this so buying a super expensive 2080Ti seemed like a bit much. Not even sure if that would work with my current PC but i would like to know what is recommended instead then?

I was told by a friend that going for a 2070 super is not even worth the money and was considering going for the GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GAMING OC 8G V2 (https://www.alternate.be/GIGABYTE/G...-grafische-kaart/html/product/1573722?lk=6040)

This card seems like the best value 2080 card but i would like to get some opinions.

Solution
As far as screens go that's a very decent panel. You wont kill your 2060 with it, but the card might struggle in some games.
The 2080 Super is the next tier down from the 2080 Ti.
Most people are sitting on their hands these days because of Nvidia being close to launching a new models series and I would recommend you wait until they do.
At least you'd be able to enjoy the new screen for a while. :)
I’d get a monitor upgrade first. No need to get a better gpu when only running 1080p 60Hz. I’d also wait for 3000 series to drop. Some articles are predicting the 3080 will have a good performance bump over the 2080Ti and hopefully won’t be as ridiculously priced.

You would need to decide what you want and the budget. 1080p/1440p/4K or an ultra wide variant. Then 100/144/165/240 Hz. Finally IPS, VA or TN.

There are no wrong choices, it really depends what you want. Personally I went with 1440p 144Hz IPS less than a year ago. I’m very happy with it but the 2080 Super is not exactly overpowered, I’m looking at upgrading to the 3080 when released if it lives up to the hype.

Reactions: KiwiBlitz

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
I've never been a fan of ultra wide. Seems like a recipe for neck pain. I think i'l just use a 27 inch for the main monitor and a 24 for the second one. I am not sure what HZ is the best option for me to not kill my current 2060 Super card.

As for the graphics card i guess the 2060 can hold out for a bit longer to see how things go.

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
The site i usually use seems to have little in terms of 1440p monitors.

The best ones i could find so far is this one https://www.alternate.be/LG/27GL850-B-27-inch-Gaming-Monitor/html/product/1564507?event=search This

https://www.alternate.be/Philips/27...-HD-Monitor/html/product/1497991?event=searchAnd

https://www.alternate.be/iiyama/G-M...ing-Monitor/html/product/1358514?event=search

All the others were these super wide ones which i don't really care for right now. But i really know nothing about monitors and the seemingly random pricing confuses me.

The iiyama seems like the best one since its 27 inch like i want and only has 1ms refresh. Still if you have any good monitors to suggest that would help.

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
As far as screens go that's a very decent panel. You wont kill your 2060 with it, but the card might struggle in some games.
The 2080 Super is the next tier down from the 2080 Ti.
Most people are sitting on their hands these days because of Nvidia being close to launching a new models series and I would recommend you wait until they do.
At least you'd be able to enjoy the new screen for a while. :)

Solution

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Your motherboard should have no issue with the new card, the Gaming Edge is a little weak on the VRM side if you're overclocking. but with sufficient airflow this is a non-issue.
How old is the PSU? It is a decent unit, if not a bit mediocre when it comes to the parts used.

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
Other than the graphics card and monitors the whole thing is less than a month old. It is a bit wonky but i put in an extra 140mm intake fan at the front to help cool things.

At some point for the psu i want something like the be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
You are pretty much set then.

You have the Meshify C, if I were you I would use that to my advantage and have 2 140mm intakes. Perhaps add an 140 to the top of the case as well, but as far back as you can possibly place it.

I use the Arctic P12 PWM, Arctic P14 PWM and Noctua NF-A12x25 as case fans in my current builds, depending on budgets and aesthetics. These are just suggestions and if you like Unicorn Vomit fans, I can't really help you as I have little experience with those. xD

KiwiBlitz

Commendable
Mar 8, 2019
I mean i don't really have any issue with cooling right now as the 2060 super cools itself just fine and the noctua even with one fan seems to never even get to 70. My computer is in my room where i sleep so no unicorn vomit for me right now.

TRENDING THREADS