Question When fans are plugged in the pc doesn’t turn on

Sep 6, 2024
Recently started putting together a pc and at the end stage now. The fans that came with the case I ordered had 4 pin miles connecter ends but there’s only wires going into three of the pins. I can’t find anywhere to plug them in on the pc (I have looked at the psu but there’s no port) so I got an adapter to go from the molex ends of the fans to an end that fits into the psu (I don’t know what this male end of the adapter is but it it has 6 squares as to plug into the psu. The problem is that once I have plugged in my fans with this adapter directly into the psu, when I try turning the pc on the rgb and fans flick for a second but do not turn on nor does the pc. Once the case fans are unplugged however the pc turns on like normal. Any thoughts to how I could fix this would be greatly appreciated.

The fans that came with the case I ordered had 4 pin miles connecter ends but there’s only wires going into three of the pins.
I got an adapter to go from the molex ends of the fans to an end that fits into the psu (I don’t know what this male end of the adapter is but it it has 6 squares as to plug into the psu.
Please show photos - fans, fan connectors, adapter, how you have connected everything.
It's rather hard to follow your descriptions.
(upload images to imgur.com and post link)

List full specs of your system.
The problem is that once I have plugged in my fans with this adapter directly into the psu, when I try turning the pc on the rgb and fans flick for a second but do not turn on nor does the pc. Once the case fans are unplugged however the pc turns on like normal. Any thoughts to how I could fix this would be greatly appreciated.
Something is connected wrong. Something is shorting out probably.
Without any photos can't tell anything more.

Sep 6, 2024
Please show photos - fans, fan connectors, adapter, how you have connected everything.
It's rather hard to follow your descriptions.
(upload images to imgur.com and post link)

List full specs of your system.

Something is connected wrong. Something is shorting out probably.
Without any photos can't tell anything more.
View: https://imgur.com/a/FruPZzY
Here’s the link to my photos let me know if you need more.

Specs-
1660 super
Ryzen 5 3600x
32Gb Ram 3200 mhz
TX650M Psu
Msi Tomahawk Max Motherboard

Sep 6, 2024
Adapter is meant for providing 6pin PCIE power connector (used for graphics cards)
by converting molex to 6pin PCIE power..
It can not be used for powering up fans.

That's why, it's shorting out. You're using wrong adapter for wrong purposes.
Ok thank you. Do you know any way I could plug these fans in?

You have to find original modular cables for your PSU.

Note - modular PSU cables are not compatible between different PSU models.
You have to find cables that are meant specifically for your particular PSU model.

Do not connect random adapters to a modular PSU.
They are NOT meant to go there (even is some might fit).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2024