When i access a folder my windows explorer needs a restart

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
hi
from few days back i have been experiencing a problem in my pc. when i access a certain folder in my hard disk, after 2-5 seconds i get a dialog box saying "windows explorer has stopped working" and i get two options "check online for help" and "restart windows explorer"
then i copied that folder to another destination and i could access it but the following days the new destination also started giving the same problem.

i used tools like "scan disk" and "defragmentation" but nothing helped.

any suggestion are appreciative.
thank you

Note: i use Win 7 64 bit unlimited

Solution
Your graphics driver?? That sounds like something is disrupting video/audio wise. I'm stumped as much as you are, but what I would do is uninstall all the codec pack and try another method for viewing your video/audio and see what happens.

newbornreason

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Your graphics driver?? That sounds like something is disrupting video/audio wise. I'm stumped as much as you are, but what I would do is uninstall all the codec pack and try another method for viewing your video/audio and see what happens.

Solution

newbornreason

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Search up about 11.6 and see if you see others with the same problem. Also see if others suffering from this problem are also ATI users. If possible, down grade to 11.5 with the codec pack still uninstalled, then determine if that fixes it.

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
i installed the previous version ati catalyst 11.5 and also uninstalled k-lite codec pack, and then i accessed the folder where i used to get the explorer restart message, hopefully this i did not get that message.
i cant be sure if the problem is gone or not but i will let you know about it. for now i will wait and observe for 1-2 days.
and thank you very much Newbornreason....
thank you very very much

in_core

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
the problem with the "Windows Explorer Restart" is totally gone........i am currently using vlc media player
thank you very very much for giving your time in solving my problem.

now the other problem i am still facing : My PC pauses (i told about it earlier) randomly....
there is one thing i have observed about it, that is when i play a video it pauses and the sound from the video actually makes the noise from the speaker (if you did not understand this SOUND part please ask me again)
and if when the pc pauses while doing other general operations it does not make any sound

newbornreason

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Glad we could work one that first problem. Now for the second one, please explain more detail about this sound. Is it a static noise? Does it sound almost like "digital scratching" like how a record needle scratches across a record?

Do you use onboard audio or do you have an audio card? You could try turning off ALL windows sounds (if you don't know how to do it, tell me the OS you are using or google it, it's relatively simple.) Lets take this one step at a time and try to eliminate possibilities as I have never experienced this and I don't want to have you do something you don't need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.