[SOLVED] When I add an additional HDD my computer will not turn on

Mar 11, 2021
Hi everyone, the issue I am having is when I add an additional 3.5" 1TB Seagate hard drive to my pc the pc will not turn on. The lights will flash for like half a second then nothing. My main storage is an SSD which has windows and documents etc. but wanted to add the additional hard drive as I am low on space and it is the only thing I have lying around.

PC specs:
MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS

AMD RYZEN 3 2200G

Corsair CMK8GX4M1D3000C16 Vengeance LPX 8 GB RAM

Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply

ASUS AMD Radeon RX 580 OC 4 GB GDDR5

Lexar NS100 2.5" SATA III (6Gb/s) 480GB SSD

Last edited:
Solution
I have an enclosure somewhere in storage i will try and find it tomorrow and test to see if it works in that. If it does work with the enclosure but not in the pc does anyone have any ideas?
The only idea is a shorted TVS diode. If you continue to power up the drive when it is shorted, you risk breaking something else.
Mar 11, 2021
Is the 1TB HDD new?
Does it happens if connected to any of the 4 SATA ports?
Have you tried different SATA or power cables?

No it is not new but it was definitely working last time I used it.

Yes it happens on all sata ports and also even when only the power SATA connector is connected issue is still present.

Have not tried different power cables and by that do you mean the cable going from pc into the wall (will try as soon as I can and will get back to you)

I have tried a different SATA cable and it was still happening

Mar 11, 2021
Ok so I tried a different power cable and that didn't work then I thought why don't I try the HDD without the SSD and it still didn't work so I am assuming my HDD is bad?

At first check are mentioned HDD works elsewhere. Only if not, deal with TVS diode.

By the way shorted TVS diode usually is paired with tiny fuse which burns out, thus disconnecting power for shorted drive. Try to find if your drive have a fuse too. If fuse is present and is burnt, replace it too.

Mar 11, 2021
At first check are mentioned HDD works elsewhere. Only if not, deal with TVS diode.

By the way shorted TVS diode usually is paired with tiny fuse which burns out, thus disconnecting power for shorted drive. Try to find if your drive have a fuse too. If fuse is present and is burnt, replace it too.

I have an enclosure somewhere in storage i will try and find it tomorrow and test to see if it works in that. If it does work with the enclosure but not in the pc does anyone have any ideas?

Mar 11, 2021
I GOT IT WORKING!!! Thanks so much fzabkar the guide was amazing! Did you write it? I feel like a pro lol. Now I just need to know if I should replace the diode or just leave it? If I should replace it could you recommend one I have attached images of the board and the diode.
14YhyLe.jpg
EysmVhB.jpg

Better replace it. At next time without TVS diode you will lose HDD and data on it.

I speak by experience when friend mistook power supply bricks and connected his home NAS supposed to be powered from 12V to 24V PSU from large JBL speaker. TVS diode on HDD saved his photo and video archive. NAS controller got rekt.