Question When i am play games the gpu usage spikes to 100 randomly and then my game crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2021
So i have am rtx 3060 ti ,ryzen 5 5600x,8x2 gigs of ram.
My drivers are also up to date.
I have tried may display opinion.
For watch dogs 2 i play the game and high settings with fps capped at 60 frames and gpu uaages sit at 40%-50% then the will crash and on msi afterburner i can see it spiked to 100%

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hmm, not sure then... I can't say I'm familiar with that PSU, but this link suggests it's decent.

Three things I might suggest:
  • Re-check the PCIe connectors to the card (if it has any)
  • Remove and re-seat the card in the PCIe slot.
  • Clean-install the drivers:
    • Download DDU (display driver uninstaller
    • Download the latest drivers from AMD Nvidia (🤦‍♂️ my mistake, definitely Nvidia)
    • Use DDU to completely uninstall the drivers
    • Reboot
    • Immediately install the drivers from AMD Nvidia (🤦‍♂️ my mistake, definitely Nvidia).

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I did that got power limit set to 100 and temp set to 83
Yes, that's default setting, but I'm asking you to set the gpu's power limit to 70% and retest.
The power and temperature limits are normally linked, so if you try to drag the power limit down, the temperature limit will go down too - you don't actually want that, so that's why I said to unlink them.
There should be an icon next to them that lets you do that.

Nov 3, 2021
Yes, that's default setting, but I'm asking you to set the gpu's power limit to 70% and retest.
The power and temperature limits are normally linked, so if you try to drag the power limit down, the temperature limit will go down too - you don't actually want that, so that's why I said to unlink them.
The icon is a chain i changed my power limit to 70 i will test later. What should i put my temp limit to?

Nov 3, 2021
It still crashed i have the power limit to 70

Nov 3, 2021
It still crashed i have the power limit to 70

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
So it's a crash to desktop, and not shutting off nor BSOD.
I'd start looking at drivers/software then.

You are updating motherboard and gpu drivers manually, and not using some 3rd party app, like the infamous Driver Booster/Easy, right?

This is not a cracked version of the game?

IF the game's launcher has the option, are you able to verify that the game doesn't have any missing files?

Windows: IF the C drive was carried over from an older build, was Windows clean installed? [In other words, the OS ISO was installed on a pendrive, the old drive was formatted, and you then booted off the pendrive to install Windows back on.]

Status
Not open for further replies.