Question When I put the Static IP I lose internet connection ?

May 18, 2022
I'm facing a problem. We have several places that work by vpn from cisco and I can ping from this place to another with my static IP but I lose the internet connection and when i put the automatic DHCP back in it keeps working but I can't ping the remaining machines, the others locals all have VPN and can ping to other machines and always have an internet connection even with static IP, I would like to know what I can do to solve this problem, I know that my gateway is right the ipv4 is free the submask is always the same and the dns I use what the internet provider provides
I would really appreciate if you could help me

Last edited:
VPN makes this messy because the vpn client can be configured to prevent you from changing anything related to the routing. The cisco one since you must pay for a license tends to be only used by companies and it is common for a company to use the features that control which traffic.

This problem is generically called split tunnel. It depends on when the vpn is up what traffic if any is allowed to bypass the tunnel. It is not uncommon that when the vpn is up you can not access say a local printer on the lan. In other you can access only certain ip on the lan but all other traffic goes into the vpn.

In your case it is hard to say. It depends on how much control you have over the vpn.

It should not matter if you use DHCP or static IP BUT you must have this all configured before the vpn software is activated.

Once the vpn is up any changes maybe over ridden by the vpn software. I know you with cisco you can configure all kinds of stuff it integrates with microsoft group policy stuff. You can actually only allow access to say a microsoft or other site to force a patch update before you allow the vpn to activate. The cisco client will even detect if you try to change the ip addresses or tamper with the routing and drop the vpn connection.

This I guess depends on how much control you have over the vpn. You might have to talk to the IT guys if you are are not the one who has admin rights to set the vpn client option.