[SOLVED] When I try to connect to a computer on Windows 10 network, I am asked to enter credentials. What credentials am I being asked for?

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
When I try to connect to a computer on my Windows 10 network (both computers are running Windows 10) I am asked for my network credentials. What credentials am I being asked for? Is it administrator credentials for the computer I am trying to connect to? Or, is it something else? I'm trying to connect to a machine I set up some years ago. I might not have the credentials of the administrator written down. If that's the case, how can I find out what those credential are?

Solution
When I try to connect to a computer on my Windows 10 network (both computers are running Windows 10) I am asked for my network credentials. What credentials am I being asked for? Is it administrator credentials for the computer I am trying to connect to? Or, is it something else? I'm trying to connect to a machine I set up some years ago. I might not have the credentials of the administrator written down. If that's the case, how can I find out what those credential are?
username and password, of whatever resource you're trying to connect to.

If you don't have that info, then the person in control of that resource has not allowed you to access.

How to gain access?
Ask the administrator/owner of that system.

If these are both...

USAFRet

Titan

If you don't have that info, then the person in control of that resource has not allowed you to access.

How to gain access?

If these are both your systems, on your LAN, you've not shared that resource properly.

Solution

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020

How to gain access?

If these are both your systems, on your LAN, you've not shared that resource properly.
It turned out that the credentials of the 1 user for the computer did not work. But I looked at the one shared folder on the computer, and the user name of the Owner was not the same as the user name of the one user. So, this answer prompted me to check on that, so I marker this as the correct answer. Thank all of you for addressing my question.

Andrew_Werber

Prominent
Nov 24, 2020
It turned out that the credentials of the 1 user for the computer did not work. But I looked at the one shared folder on the computer, and the user name of the Owner was not the same as the user name of the one user. So, this answer prompted me to check on that, so I marker this as the correct answer. Thank all of you for addressing my question.
I need to note that the owner user name and the user name of the one user were the same, not different, as I said above. I was mistaken.