[SOLVED] When I try to reset my PC I get "error there was a problem resetting your pc. no changes were made"

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
Hi Guys
When i tried to reset my PC today I got: "error there was a problem resetting your pc. no changes were made"
I followed some tutorials for this issue bit i still can't fix this issue. I read somewhere that this means "Recovery Image is corrupt". Can someone explain to me how the Recovery Image is corrupt and steps in the future to prevent this from happening. I might end up doing a clean install of windows 10. But any help would be appreciated

Solution
Clean install will save you time unless you have any files on the drive you don't want to lose. It only takes an hour at most (shorter on ssd) and you don't need to fix the image problem then.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What kind of reset? If you doing a full reset, its faster and probably safer to just clean install win 10 -
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Otherwise,
Did you run a SFC/DISM scan?
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

well recovery image is a compressed file on PC that windows uses to reinstall itself with. So if its borked, windows won't be able to use it. The above command should help with that.

noyaus

Honorable
Jul 15, 2016
What kind of reset? If you doing a full reset, its faster and probably safer to just clean install win 10 -
follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Otherwise,
Did you run a SFC/DISM scan?
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:
Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter
SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

well recovery image is a compressed file on PC that windows uses to reinstall itself with. So if its borked, windows won't be able to use it. The above command should help with that.

I just wanted to remove my files and application again and start afresh.

Sep 21, 2020
Hello,

Here are the steps that you can follow:

Method #1: Boot into System Recovery Options

Step 1: Boot your system into Recovery mode and click on Advanced options.

Step 2: Select Command prompt and enter your admin password

Step 4: Type the following command in the Command prompt window and hit the Enter button on your keyboard.

cd %windir%\system32\config

ren system system.001

ren software software.001

Source