Question When PC wakes up from sleep, the internet speed is limited to a lower speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donnyyy

Prominent
May 26, 2021
I noticed lately that my PC's internet connection is limited up to 100Mbps whenever I wake it up or boot it some of the times. At first I didn't know how to solve it and thought something went wrong so I uninstalled the driver. At last I found that what fixes it is to disconnect the ethernet cable from the switch-hub that is connected to the pc at one end and to the router at the other end (PC >> switch >> router) and reconnecting it, and then the speed returns to 600Mbps as it should be.

Why does this happen, I'm pretty sure it didn't happen before ?

Two things I changed recently:
  1. Upgraded to Windows 11
  2. Replaced my router

Last edited:
The most common cause of this is a bad cable. I would try a new cable it only needs to be cat5e but cat6 is fine if it cheaper. Key here is it must be a quality cable. It must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable).

The other is it is something strange with the bios settings. I know one of my machines will leave the ethernet port active with the machine in sleep or some shutdown. I only notices it because I was wondering what was connected to by network at only 100mbps. It seem the machine changes the port speed to 100 when it is not fully up, Mine seems to switch to gigabit as soon the machine is back. I assume it is some silly wake on lan setting in the bios but since it never caused a issue I have not looked for it.

Still it is much more likely this is a cable issue. Cables can go bad just because a wire comes slightly loose inside a plug. This is even more common if you are using a cheap cable, many people are using those flat cable.

Donnyyy

Prominent
May 26, 2021
The most common cause of this is a bad cable. I would try a new cable it only needs to be cat5e but cat6 is fine if it cheaper. Key here is it must be a quality cable. It must be pure copper (no CCA) and have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cable).

The other is it is something strange with the bios settings. I know one of my machines will leave the ethernet port active with the machine in sleep or some shutdown. I only notices it because I was wondering what was connected to by network at only 100mbps. It seem the machine changes the port speed to 100 when it is not fully up, Mine seems to switch to gigabit as soon the machine is back. I assume it is some silly wake on lan setting in the bios but since it never caused a issue I have not looked for it.

Still it is much more likely this is a cable issue. Cables can go bad just because a wire comes slightly loose inside a plug. This is even more common if you are using a cheap cable, many people are using those flat cable.
The cable from the router to the switch is new and is a goof quality cable cat7 ugreen flat, the cable from the switch to the pc is a round cat5e unbranded, I think I bought it on ebay a couple of years ago.

I would plan to replace the flat cable even though it is not the cause of your issue since it is between the router and the switch. All flat cables have wire size 31 or smaller which means it can never meet the standard to be a ethernet cable and it is even less likely to meet the standard for cat7 which has shielding.

The simplest thing to try is a new cable for your cat5e one. It could also be something like a green power setting for the ethernet port in pc or the switch.

Donnyyy

Prominent
May 26, 2021
Just an update, I ordered a better quality cable, that cable got lost on the way ;/, I almost ordered a new one, but then thought to give it another go, so I tried different things, and then what fixed it was updating the driver, so it seems like it was a driver issue, there where two identical drivers, one with (microsoft) at the end and one with (realtek) at the end, the microsoft had the issue, and the realtek seems fine so far, keeps the true speed after booting and seems stable.

Donnyyy

Prominent
May 26, 2021
I feel that I need to give another update if anyone ever will come across the same problem and find this thread, the issue kept going even after drivers update, ultimately I did replaced the ethernet cat5e low quality cable with cat6 cable and now it reallly seems that there is never a drop in speed to under 100Mbps

Mar 30, 2024
hey i have the same problem rn when i got my new pc but nothing happened before on the old pc i use the same cable i had before and it always got me 300Mbps but now its limited to 100Mbps

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS